• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A paint question (again)

Lone-wolf

24 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Yep I do it all the time makes life easy on the masking up 👍👍

Just remember it will be a dull Matt  finish you get 👍

I also cheat and use a sharpie around the windows to get a nice sharp black window trim 👍

Cheers, the matt will be just the job for what i have in mind

Being a one can wonder guy doing the black pick up section on my mini was a push, for me I found measuring the flat section then cutting out a stencil and using that worked well. I tried to mask it inside the body but it didn't work however the stencil worked a treat. I stuck standard masking tape onto a sheet of grease proof paper and cut out the rectangle then stuck it stright on, really simple and worked well. 

2 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Yep I do it all the time makes life easy on the masking up 👍👍

Just remember it will be a dull Matt  finish you get 👍

I also cheat and use a sharpie around the windows to get a nice sharp black window trim 👍

Does it not scratch off easy on the outside?

7 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Yes the paint on outside of shell will be more prone to damage, so this is best suited to the load bed of a pick up where it wont get knocked so much, the matt effect is more realistic , but of course this is on a crawler so truck only going slow

8 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

If you key the surface with a scouring pad it’s okay just go careful near the edge 

Lexan paint bites into the plastic so it’s usually quite hardy but this process is more for the odd detail I wouldn’t do a complete body shell. 

The worse thing to worry about is scoring the body to deep as that will lead to it splitting if you bump into something 👍

• Like 1