• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Onboard igniter choices

bishbashbosh

I'm after an onboard igniter that:

1 utilises receiver channel 3

2 runs off 6v

3 operates via signal on transmitter (ie not a button n the chassis)

Can't seem to find one that fits the bill.

Rcexl claims to be 7.4v min

Prolux is button only 

Hobbyking 2 way seems discontinued 

Any recommendations?

Never used one myself. I have rigged up remote on board igniter systems, but in every case...the hassle and complexity was just pointless.

I mean....how hard is it really to put a glowstarter onto the glowplug while you fire it up. Plus I always go out with a couple of igniters, as you never know when one might run low. I did rig up a car with a 1.5V battery pack wired to the glowplug and switched on/off with a simple switch. The motor could be started with a roto-start without taking off the shell that way. But unless you plan on messing about with electric motors to start your nitro... like Traxxas did with EZ Start .... which used a 7.2V pack in a 'wand' that you plugged into the car, running a motor fitted to the engine to spin it...and a glowplug circuit added.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/25707

But....it was just dead weight, and complexity for the sake of it. It never worked well either....

Thanks for the in depth reply.

Tbh I've not yet got a conventional igniter. Got a prolux easy one that attached to any additional battery - made sense tinkering in the garage but not taking the car out to use.

I was under the impression you could leave the plug lit while you fitted the shell to avoid it cutting out when cold?

On trucks and buggies, you usually have good access to the motor/plug.

My 1.5V pack and wiring setup was for a buggy I converted to fit an onroad shell on, and I couldn;t access the plug. As you say...nothing more annoying than firing it up...getting the shell on...then having it cut out...  It literally consisted of a battery holder ( can get them on E-Bay for pennies ) an on/off switch ( an old RC one from a nitro hump pack)  ....and a piece of wire running to the glowplug positive terminal. I modified the internal metal part of a Tamiya connector to make a plug to clip over the glowplug and stay in position. The switch was mounted at the rear above the bumper, where I could reach it under the shell. The battery pack can go anywhere you got space.

switch to on....start engine with rotostart....once it's warmed up....switch to off. As it took standard AA batteries, I could use rechargables and take a few with me.

I use a similar approach to my other glowstarters...most of which have their original packs long dead...chopped off..and replaced with a holder for a normal battery. I am going to go posh once I get my 3D printer back together ( just moved house )  and rig up a better housing .... but the current setup has a gap for a 'C' cell ...with terminals above and below....and a rubber sleeve to keep the battery in.

Cheers - glad I was on the right path.  I figured I already have a switch (transmitter) and battery (receiver pack) - so based my original search on reusing these to achieve the ask.  Leave glow ignited while I fit the shell, then off I go and turn it off on the transmitter.

It's a touring car so would require glowstart removal to fit the body and currently doing some novice tuning to fueling etc which means it rarely runs perfectly.

3 hours ago, bishbashbosh said:

Cheers - glad I was on the right path.  I figured I already have a switch (transmitter) and battery (receiver pack) - so based my original search on reusing these to achieve the ask.  Leave glow ignited while I fit the shell, then off I go and turn it off on the transmitter.

It's a touring car so would require glowstart removal to fit the body and currently doing some novice tuning to fueling etc which means it rarely runs perfectly.

I have used one of theses before  https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/fastrax-remote-glow-plug-adapator-line-w-bracket-negative-wire-8000?gclid=CjwKCAjwi9-HBhACEiwAPzUhHC1_YCwaTxCjR_Qo1G3fEzdzA_1YPwKkFFfpkfrJ4DjlcXaA3LlvFhoCWMAQAvD_BwE

Right I've gone back to the drawing board with this and ditched the onboard starter idea.

By modding the pull backplate, rotating it 90 degrees and drilling strategic body holes I can now glow ignite, pull start and refuel with the shell on. Sorted.

IMG_20210722_232007.jpg