• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LC Racing EMB-MT to T conversion motor/esc recommendation

SWF

Hi

I have converted my emb-MT to a truggy, well with MT front bumper and rear wing, so nearly.

I planned on fitting the 2850 4500kv motor that the t comes with, but have had difficulty finding one?

Can anybody recommend an alternative motor/esc, along with suggested Kv rating and pinion size, running  2s 35c batteries.

While I’m here, what oil is recommended for the shocks, currently have 30wt front and rear?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Alex

Thanks for the suggestion.

Did the 5900kv need an upgrade to the esc, or is the 35a OK with that?

Cheers

43 minutes ago, SWF said:

Hi Alex

Thanks for the suggestion.

Did the 5900kv need an upgrade to the esc, or is the 35a OK with that?

Cheers

I was running a 60a ESC but I believe temps weren't an issue but can't recal. You might be ok. 

35 minutes ago, SWF said:

I’ll look for a 60a esc that is small enough to fit and get a Racestar.

Thanks Again

Try the 60 hobbywing ones, they are about £30. 

I’ve put a surpass platinum 2845 in mine; I e only gone for a 3100kv one as I’m not trying to hit big numbers in speed runs but you can get them in a pretty wide range of ratings. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqrpfu1

Still haven’t actually run it though, so it’s possible it may just explode rather than going anywhere. 

Surpass platinum looks the part for a combo!

Am I correct that the pinions are mod 0.5?

Here is a picture of mine.

Speed is fine, but a little extra acceleration is what it needs.

Edited by SWF

2 hours ago, SWF said:

Surpass platinum looks the part for a combo!

Am I correct that the pinions are mod 0.5?

Here is a picture of mine.

Speed is fine, but a little extra acceleration is what it needs.

F914F372-5CBD-4BB8-A463-6BE34B6CA0A2.jpeg

The 18 tooth pinion in my kit measures about 9.5 mm across which puts it pretty close to a 0.5 pitch according to this calculator:

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-gear-calculator/

• 4 months later...
On 17/07/2021 at 13:12, SWF said:

Hi

I have converted my emb-MT to a truggy, well with MT front bumper and rear wing, so nearly.

I planned on fitting the 2850 4500kv motor that the t comes with, but have had difficulty finding one?

Can anybody recommend an alternative motor/esc, along with suggested Kv rating and pinion size, running  2s 35c batteries.

While I’m here, what oil is recommended for the shocks, currently have 30wt front and rear?

Cheers

Steve

hey @SWF

so to change the mt to trugyy, you just changed the wheels, bumpers and wing?

10 hours ago, froggy8 said:

hey @SWF

so to change the mt to trugyy, you just changed the wheels, bumpers and wing?

The Truggy uses a longer chassis, top deck, side guards and centre drive shaft than the MT, so you need to swap those out as well. 

There is a kit you can get which has all the bits you need in it. 

https://shop.lcracing.net/products/l6213?variant=30298914521201

edit: if you’re going from the MT then the kit is missing the wing mount and bumpers so there would be a few extra bits you need to pick up. 

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 2

Hi

As BigGinge says, just rear wing, mount and bumpers, on top of conversion kit. I’ve left the MT front bumper on mine though.

If you want to do a complete job, you also need a 2850 motor and an 18 tooth pinion. I bought a Surpass Platinum 2848 4300k for about £12 from AliExpress for mine. I think it would be fine with a 19 pinion as it runs cool, but might need a more powerful ESC then too?

Best of luck!

Steve

1 hour ago, SWF said:

Hi

As BigGinge says, just rear wing, mount and bumpers, on top of conversion kit. I’ve left the MT front bumper on mine though.

If you want to do a complete job, you also need a 2850 motor and an 18 tooth pinion. I bought a Surpass Platinum 2848 4300k for about £12 from AliExpress for mine. I think it would be fine with a 19 pinion as it runs cool, but might need a more powerful ESC then too?

Best of luck!

Steve

i am getting the pro truggy version and already got the mt wheels, so i thought since i have the wheels already then i was thinking what is needed to change to mt.

• Like 1

Hi froggy8

Whoops, sounds like I’ve got it the wrong way around?

Truggy to MT would be short chassis, centre shaft, top deck, bumpers, rear body mounts and body shell. I’m not sure there is space for the truggy 50mm motor on the short chassis, as I converted from MT to truggy?

Is that what you were after?

It was an easy conversion, they are great as either truggy or MT.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SWF
Rear body mounts
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SWF said:

Hi froggy8

Whoops, sounds like I’ve got it the wrong way around?

Truggy to MT would be short chassis, centre shaft, top deck, bumpers and body shell. I’m not sure there is space for the truggy 50mm motor on the short chassis, as I converted from MT to truggy?

Is that what you were after?

It was an easy conversion, they are great as either truggy or MT.

Cheers

Steve

many thnaks for that. i quite like the look of the mt, watched a few videos. 

had a quick look for a conversion but no luck.

Hi

Mine started as an MT and had a 17 tooth pinion, which is still fitted to “your” motor.

The MT and Truggy wheels are similar in diameter, so no need to compensate with gearing.

I now have an 18 tooth pinion fitted, standard for the Truggy I think, as my motor is 4370kv, slightly lower than the 4500kv your Pro will have.

I’m still running the standard 35a esc, so might upgrade to a 60a and 19 tooth at some stage, or go 3s rather than my current 2s?

Choices, choices!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SWF said:

Hi

Mine started as an MT and had a 17 tooth pinion, which is still fitted to “your” motor.

The MT and Truggy wheels are similar in diameter, so no need to compensate with gearing.

I now have an 18 tooth pinion fitted, standard for the Truggy I think, as my motor is 4370kv, slightly lower than the 4500kv your Pro will have.

I’m still running the standard 35a esc, so might upgrade to a 60a and 19 tooth at some stage, or go 3s rather than my current 2s?

Choices, choices!

Cheers

Steve

thank you for that 🙂 

which esc you thinking of getting? the hobbywing one?

on one of my truggy, i have a 35a too but i will see if its fast enough on 2s first before i start upgrading the esc. i could get a smaller spur and bigger pinion, that would make it go faster without upgrading the esc.

I think mine is very conservative in it’s gearing as it’s still fitted with a 19 tooth pinion and the 3100 KV motor at the moment. Having said that this seems to run very nicely on 3S with the smaller 30/35A hobby wing esc without anything getting too hot. It also lets me hand it over to the five year old when it’s running 2S without worrying too much about him sending it straight into my shins. 

• Like 1

Hi

I am thinking about Hobbywing Max 10, as it’s smaller than most of the cheaper options, though is not going to work on 3s with the 4370kv motor. The Hobbywing 10bl60 has better motor kv rating but is physically much larger.

I might buy a 3s battery and try that first, 1/3rd the price of an esc too.

The standard gearing is about right for the standard electronics, 35a esc/4500kv motor,  you might start to run hot on 2s if you gear up too much. With the standard 35a esc, using standard or lower gearing with 3s would be the best way to go for speed, I think.

Cheers