• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BigGinge's EMB Truggy Build Thread

BigGinge

2 hours ago, turok007 said:

Unless my mind is playing tricks  i have a stock plastic top plate also a carbon one.

the esc is a 60A waterproof WP MAX10A + fan

motor is a 2850 EL4500kv

you got another one? 😄 

apologies @BigGinge for hijacking. love your shell, the black and yellow does match very well 🙂 

Edited by froggy8

10 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

you got another one? 😄 

apologies @BigGinge for hijacking. love your shell, the black and yellow does match very well 🙂 

ordered it months ago  but as it was on a slow boat i got another one (used) then sold it. 

1 minute ago, turok007 said:

ordered it months ago  but as it was on a slow boat i got another one (used) then sold it. 

is this one a buggy or truggy? it says buggy on the box and i sort of remembering you ordered a truggy.

• 3 weeks later...

You can just about see the antenna in the image below.

I’ve just got it zip tied down to the carbon top plate to keep it out of the way of the moving bits. Probably not the best from a radio reception point of view but I’ve not got any range issues with the car and my transmitter so it’s seems to be doing ok for what I need. 

361F96CF-85E2-4304-BDF0-C80FC4479789.thumb.jpeg.e1ee621fee8f65a6b6c74dba4a9353d5.jpeg

This is where i’ve managed to squeeze the receiver in, with the antenna coming up through the whole in the middle of the carbon top deck. Not sure that this would work with the standard plastic top deck unless you have a lower profile receiver than the one I’ve used. 

FDD984C2-7E22-4E1D-8BC8-BB05083358A3.thumb.jpeg.f7b83450c733bef2043ff9c990fa3a9b.jpeg

Edited by BigGinge

5 hours ago, BigGinge said:

You can just about see the antenna in the image below.

I’ve just got it zip tied down to the carbon top plate to keep it out of the way of the moving bits. Probably not the best from a radio reception point of view but I’ve not got any range issues with the car and my transmitter so it’s seems to be doing ok for what I need. 

361F96CF-85E2-4304-BDF0-C80FC4479789.thumb.jpeg.e1ee621fee8f65a6b6c74dba4a9353d5.jpeg

This is where i’ve managed to squeeze the receiver in, with the antenna coming up through the whole in the middle of the carbon top deck. Not sure that this would work with the standard plastic top deck unless you have a lower profile receiver than the one I’ve used. 

FDD984C2-7E22-4E1D-8BC8-BB05083358A3.thumb.jpeg.f7b83450c733bef2043ff9c990fa3a9b.jpeg

i was wondering why your rx was like that, mine must be much smaller than yours. if you look at mine, it fits on top of the ersvo with double sided tape:

20211207-141250.jpg

many thanks for that, i might just copy you 😄 

i did manage to find one picture and that was from @capri-boy he has the MT and he put the aerial through the spoiler, sort off. will need to look at the picture again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took out my diffs the other day, to find they use a very small Phillips head screw. I didn’t have a small Phillips head driver to take it apart. What weight oil is in the stock diffs? 

I’m not sure what comes in the rtr models but I stuck 5k in the front and 3k in the rear when I built mine. It seems to have been fine so far running mostly in very loose surfaces. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2021 at 23:44, BigGinge said:

Bag D was the slipper clutch and rear suspension arms. 

For the slipper clutch build there was one deviation from the listed instructions as they called for a small bearing to be pressed into the centre of the spur gear but they had only included a small brass bushing with the kit for this bit. I can’t imagine it will make much difference to the performance but was a bit confusing while trying to track the listed parts down for that step. The other slight deviation I made on the slipper clutch build was to replace the spacer on the rear diff input shaft with a second bearing race to go with the one specified on the build instructions. This meant I’d had to buy an extra pack of bearings but this size is used all over the car (including on the wheel hubs) so I imagine the spares will

come in handy. The two bearings on the slipper clutch then sit very nicely into the rear diff housing without any play which was good. 

I had my second lapse in concentration for the day while putting the suspension arms onto the lower diff housing and somehow ended up with this. 

2D8AF30C-E78C-45BB-8F3A-C217DA2DB83F.thumb.jpeg.6c3cd5906b3bf3f1e524642ee54fa7cd.jpeg

After fixing that I managed to get the rest built up without further issue. 

C23BB312-7BEF-4CFD-A3F7-7468AE7BC271.thumb.jpeg.1f71853d6bc6a462dc9e16d09974c01e.jpegD51361FE-1943-4BD4-A60A-4ADC9D1FBA90.thumb.jpeg.e0b1453a41a6f51351327e094b07518d.jpeg

One thing I hadn’t realised is that the wing mounts are going to stop me properly fitting the rear monster truck bumper as they block the shock tower mounting holes that are used by its upper brace. For now I’ll just fit what I can and will try and work out a permanent solution later on. 

so you took the top housing off to put 2 bearings behind the slipper pad? is it only 1 bearing from factory?

@froggy8, that’s pretty much it. Where the drive shaft enters the diff housing there is space for two bearings but the kit only fits one of these as standard, I just put an extra bearing into the empty spot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigGinge said:

@froggy8, that’s pretty much it. Where the drive shaft enters the diff housing there is space for two bearings but the kit only fits one of these as standard, I just put an extra bearing into the empty spot. 

that reminds me to check mine 🙂 

• Like 1

I think I bought some from DMS at the time I built mine to have for spares but it looks like they may be out of stock there now. Can't see why the ones from RC bearings wouldn't work though (should work out a lot cheaper than ordering a kit from DMS too).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigGinge said:

I think I bought some from DMS at the time I built mine to have for spares but it looks like they may be out of stock there now. Can't see why the ones from RC bearings wouldn't work though (should work out a lot cheaper than ordering a kit from DMS too).

thank you bigginge, hows your truggy? stored away or still using it?

havet used mine yet, its all ready though, just waiting on the weather. or i may get the wheels i want then test it out, not sure yet.

Mine is still sat on top of the shoe rack waiting for me to take It out again. Been a few months since I got out with now so really need to pick a day charge some batteries and just go. 

Do you have a plan for where you want to try and run yours?

59 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

Mine is still sat on top of the shoe rack waiting for me to take It out again. Been a few months since I got out with now so really need to pick a day charge some batteries and just go. 

Do you have a plan for where you want to try and run yours?

i would have took the car out by now if the weather was very nice.

my plan would be to either take it on some grass (very short grass) or maybe some gravel, not too much though, actually think it will be better on ground like basket ball court.

The place I’d been going most with mine has some nice sections of hardpacked dirt with a good coating of loose dust in the top. Good fun to drive in when it’s nice and dry but it quickly turns into a right mess when there is even a little water about. It copes quite well on short grass too and I expect it would be good on tarmac too though I’ve not been out to the carpark I was eying up for that as it is somewhere that was being used as a vaccination centre last year so was normally pretty busy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigGinge said:

The place I’d been going most with mine has some nice sections of hardpacked dirt with a good coating of loose dust in the top. Good fun to drive in when it’s nice and dry but it quickly turns into a right mess when there is even a little water about. It copes quite well on short grass too and I expect it would be good on tarmac too though I’ve not been out to the carpark I was eying up for that as it is somewhere that was being used as a vaccination centre last year so was normally pretty busy. 

moved here over a year and not really noticed anywhere decent yet.

will need to have a good look soon.

• Like 1

I know the feeling... We moved to Devon 15 years ago, and with the exception of Dartmoor, which is more of a crawler than a basher location anyway, there is hardly anywhere where you're allowed/able to gain access to use your trucks, well, at much over half throttle anyway 😥. Ironic really, you'd think 'rural' Devon and Cornwall would be an RC's paradise.  There's actually better basher locations on the south coast near Worthing where I used to live...

It's one of the reasons I've just got myself a trail bike, as green lanes are something we do have in abundance down here.

• Like 2

That’s one of the things I like about these little trucks, it seems like you can get away with smaller spaces for running them in compared to the bigger scale stuff. Though I guess the trade off is that you can’t run them where there are tougher surfaces that wouldn’t be an issue for a bigger model. So not all positive. 

• Like 2

when we used to live in lee mount in Halifax, there was quite a few places where we could have gone and they weren't even that far from between either. there was shrog park, beechems park and basket ball court. back then, i used to take my cars out quite frequently.