• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BigGinge's EMB Truggy Build Thread

BigGinge

7 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Do you have plans for two different builds now or will you just move the Italian one on once you have yours built up?

Did you want to buy my ready built one

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, turok007 said:

Did you want to buy my ready built one

I think one of these is enough for me for now thanks. 

• Like 2

Got the shell masked up now; going to hopefully get to paint it tomorrow so that it’s ready to take out at the weekend. 

AA848A69-93B2-4E7B-9462-390F72D7E7F2.thumb.jpeg.9a8a9c2b10a3957e2bf37a689ddb150b.jpeg

• Like 1

I got the paint done on the shell today so starting to look a lot better now. 

90FE7DA1-7337-4473-A63F-2033DE0CEF10.thumb.jpeg.0aaf713754184557b0dd1317264a3670.jpeg

9C4C3C18-5D74-40B1-8FC8-52C743A47C86.thumb.jpeg.628807fdeb3866c8319886e035f8dfd6.jpeg

since taking the last picture I’ve put on the stickers for the headlights but I think I’m going to leave all the others off for now. 

Since “finishing” I have noticed one slight issue in that I seem to have put the two mounting posts on the optional carbon fibre top deck on the wrong way round. So until I swap these round (with the taller one at the back of the car) I can’t get the clip in at the rear of the shell. 

I also had a bit of an issue with the supplied window masks when I was painting the shell so that has turned out quite as well as I’d have liked. The issue I had is that the supplied stickers started to lift when I was putting paint down so I’ve got a bit of bleeding around the edges of the windows. Not the end of the world but slightly annoying as it’s not something I’ve seen on any of the areas where I have custom cut masks from my tesa masking tape. 

A71B46FD-CFF5-45D8-AAB7-39BC598EF025.thumb.jpeg.e02ea6797d2a243d27efcdee919ffef4.jpeg

8F3B2FAD-077A-4DDF-9776-7F784CAE1E79.thumb.jpeg.492e8e673e5bc68f54ea1c1df9b8c877.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

@BigGinge

Body looks brilliant mate in the black and orange, I love the exposed back shock towers and the way the whole thing looks.

Thanks

Part of me wishes the alloy parts in the stock red "bling" colour were also available in black though as I'm not sure they go with the paint colours on the shell now. I might have to see if I can find some spares from a different model (probably one of the many bits out there for the WL toys clones) and see if i can swap those in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I understand your concerns about colour mate, whatever you decide to go with.

Brilliant build, its been fantastic for a noob like me to watch you putting this thing together !

It might be worth adding that this is the 1st RC car kit I've ever built up, and the other three cars in the house are just little budget ones I've picked up over the last year to try and get our lad interested; so I'm not exactly all that experienced at this myself. I suspect as long as you have a few decent tools, take your time and ask questions whenever anything isn't clear building up a kit like this should be in reach for most people. The thing I was most unsure about was painting the shell, so I helped myself out with this by getting a spare shell for one of my other cars and trying to paint that before I took on the one in this kit. Unfortunately that one didn't turn out too well in the end, see this thread for evidence:

• Like 1

I finally got to take the EMB-T out for its first run today. Went up to a local spot near us with a very loose dusty surface and I was initially a bit disappointed in how the car was running. It didn’t seem to be all that good in terms of its acceleration and it just didn’t seem to be gripping like I thought it would (I’ve run some of the same monster truck wheels on my XLF F16 up there before  with much better results) so the handling wasn’t what I thought it should be either. 

After a little bit more driving I noticed that there didn’t seem to be much in the way of roost (not sure if it’s called that in the RC world or if there is another name for it) coming from the rear wheels, even though the front pair were happily chucking dust everywhere. I figured I may have lost drive to the rear wheels and that this might be causing the lacklustre performance. However, all the wheels were turning as expected when I was picking up the car so I assumed that the rear drive was ok. 

Anyway I kept running the car until we went back to fit a fresh battery to my sons car as it was still fun to play with, even if it wasn’t living up to my expectations. When I was fitting the new battery to my sons car I had a closer look at the rear drive shafts on mine and noticed that one of the dog bones had come out of the drive cup so was just spinning freely without driving the wheel when there was even a little resistance out on it. I’d noticed these seemed a bit short during the build but didn’t do anything about it. In hindsight this may have been a mistake, as it meant I had indeed lost drive to the rear wheels and I’ve now got one very mashed up drive cup and a lightly scarred dog bone from the first trip out. 

A3E6CCB0-0468-4E1A-BEC3-C700D6EE4D5F.thumb.jpeg.c51a4b2cd66fe159e2c5691f63b1665a.jpeg

534E79C2-6657-4C68-8F36-7819A472DAAB.thumb.jpeg.04f4c35910d99725e3d0baea3c1df324.jpeg

13BFE321-9113-4301-835C-91A4172A263B.thumb.jpeg.192e31267cf1b76e4c0723ad585ea363.jpeg

As a temporary (permanent?) fix for this I’ve taken the two spare universal drive shafts that I ordered when I bought the kit (these are fitted as standard in the front) and swapped these in in place of the dog bone and drive cup arrangement. 

Having a read of some posts on the EMB/LC Racing Facebook groups it looks like I’m not the 1st person to come across this issue so I may drop DMS and email to see if there is anything they can do/recommend to fix the issue with the parts supplied with the kit. Otherwise I may have to get some more universal drive shafts on order to top up the spares box. 

Hopfuly with the fix in place things should be much improved for its next trip out. 

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve had this back out for a couple more short runs since swapping out the rear dog bones for my spare set of universal drive shafts (so I have these fitted front and back now) and it’s been behaving much more like I’d been hoping. The acceleration/speed has picked up a lot and the handling is head and shoulders above the other 14th scale stuff in the house.

I have a feeling my lad would very much like to adopt this one as his own after having tried it out now (limited to 50% throttle as he’s only 5). So, I could easily see us getting another one if he keeps his interest in RC up and the stock situation improves at some point. 

I’ve still not run it up with a 3S pack in but it is plenty fast enough for me to bash about with off road on 2S with the 3100 kv motor and 19T pinion. I suspect I may get a higher kv motor on order (something closer to the stock 4500 kv),after trying this out on 3S, just to see what it’s like as it will only be £15 or so. 

• Like 2

I'm sure there was a guy in the states who was selling more durable drive cups. I can't remember his name however he was on a lot of the LC Facebook pages. If you want a cheap replacement then the WLtoyz parts might fit. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure there was anything really wrong  with the drive cups, I figured it’s just what happens if you run most of a big pack through the car when the dog bone pins aren’t engaged properly. I’ve no reason to think they would have picked up any damage if the dog bones had been a bit longer. 

• Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 14:20, BigGinge said:

I’m not sure there was anything really wrong  with the drive cups, I figured it’s just what happens if you run most of a big pack through the car when the dog bone pins aren’t engaged properly. I’ve no reason to think they would have picked up any damage if the dog bones had been a bit longer. 

could rubber washers be used to keep the shaft in the middle  or even moving the shims around

I have picked up some o-rings to drop into the drive cups to see if that helps centre the dog bones enough for them not to pop out. At the minute the universal drive shafts seem to be working without issue so I’m not in any hurry to switch back. 

Edit:

these are the ones I ordered and they seem to be a good fit in the cups. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082SVQLQT

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 1

After a couple of busy weeks I finally managed to get back out again with this at lunch time. It’s the first chance I’ve had to run a 3S pack through it and the extra speed was very much appreciated, even bashing on comparatively rough ground . So I’ve ordered up a 4370 kV motor to try out in place of the 3100 kV that’s currently in the car, should be quite interesting running that with the 3S pack. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MrCake said:

Jealous you are getting to run yours and love your colour combo.  My EMB-MT which I ordered back in Feb from DMS has still not appeared 

i have been waiting about 5 weeks for mine

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turok007 said:

i have been waiting about 5 weeks for mine

Just the 7 months for me 🤣  Really hope they are in soon!  I did ask them recently for an updated ETA as I had to pay in full,  but think they got bored of me asking and have ignored me.

38 minutes ago, MrCake said:

Jealous you are getting to run yours and love your colour combo.  My EMB-MT which I ordered back in Feb from DMS has still not appeared 

Ouch, that is quite a wait.

Im not sure how I managed to be so lucky with getting  this one when I did. It looks like the whole shipping/supply chain for these is completely screwed now. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Ouch, that is quite a wait.

Im not sure how I managed to be so lucky with getting  this one when I did. It looks like the whole shipping/supply chain for these is completely screwed now. 

Strange how your got yours if someone else had been waiting months

2 hours ago, turok007 said:

Strange how your got yours if someone else had been waiting months

I went RTR and think they still had some kits available.  It looks like some of the components have  changed on the later LC models so not sure if that is anything to do with delays?   When I ordered in Feb it was looking like they were expected in around April which is why I went for it as that didn't seem like a huge wait!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrCake said:

I went RTR and think they still had some kits available.  It looks like some of the components have  changed on the later LC models so not sure if that is anything to do with delays?   When I ordered in Feb it was looking like they were expected in around April which is why I went for it as that didn't seem like a huge wait!

Before i ordered i asked if they had stock  but they said the shipment they just got was for back orders.  this was 15th of july  (i just checked)  wonder why yours was not it that lot.   sure they haven't forgotten you.

3 hours ago, turok007 said:

Before i ordered i asked if they had stock  but they said the shipment they just got was for back orders.  this was 15th of july  (i just checked)  wonder why yours was not it that lot.   sure they haven't forgotten you.

Hmm that will be disappointing if I did miss out!  Have emailed to ask so hopefully they will respond this time.

• Like 1