• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Are HPI spares still easy to get hold of?

Steve-O2021

I adore HPI as a brand, they made some of my favourite ever RCs. However. I think youd need rocks in your head to buy a HPI these days! Theyve been so fragile financially for years and Covid/Brexit etc

It depends on the model really.

Some HPI trucks have stayed in production a long time, and have a lot of aftermarket parts/suppliers. Things like the Savage are being sold again, and have been on sale a long time. Those will be easier to get parts for.

If its a more niche car, or one with a shorter production run, I'd stay clear.

10 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

It depends on the model really.

Some HPI trucks have stayed in production a long time, and have a lot of aftermarket parts/suppliers. Things like the Savage are being sold again, and have been on sale a long time. Those will be easier to get parts for.

If its a more niche car, or one with a shorter production run, I'd stay clear.

How about something like the 1/8 trophy truggy / buggy? Would they be easy to get hold of parts?

17 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I adore HPI as a brand, they made some of my favourite ever RCs. However. I think youd need rocks in your head to buy a HPI these days! Theyve been so fragile financially for years and Covid/Brexit etc

What brands would you go with?

6 minutes ago, Steve-O2021 said:

What brands would you go with?

I may get stick for this, but this is why I stick to Traxxas/Arrma. However, this is a really bad time for RC full stop. Brexit/Covid/Suez Canal blockage has really caused some issues. Theres even some Traxxas bits I cant get hold of at the moment. 

Id not touch HPI full stop PERSONALLY. Theyre time has been and gone IMO

6 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I may get stick for this, but this is why I stick to Traxxas/Arrma. However, this is a really bad time for RC full stop. Brexit/Covid/Suez Canal blockage has really caused some issues. Theres even some Traxxas bits I cant get hold of at the moment. 

How about Kyosho are they still going strong?

20 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I’ve just been looking at one of their cars. Perhaps I’ll give it a miss? Do you think they are a dying brand?

42 minutes ago, Steve-O2021 said:

How about Kyosho are they still going strong?

Can be problematic due to them coming from Japan and havig a rather small following in the UK. 

It's a shame that part support is so poor in places as what was once a great car has been put of a commission due to a £5 part ☹️

I still own several HPI trucks...and have no real issues.

HPI are making a reduced range of cars, yes.... but its no harder to get parts for those than before. Where you will get issues are with cars that have slipped from the production.

Maverick are an HPI brand....but those cars are rebranded generic cars anyway. The same chassis sold under several names. Even if Maverick stopped tomorrow, you would still be able to get parts. You just need to find out what other brand names they are sold under, and who the original maker was. Most of them are made by HSP.  HotBodies was an HPI brand, but it dwindled away years back.

Different people have different opinions. Some don't like HPI...some hate Traxxas for its predatory lawyer/patent tactics. But, generally speaking....look for vehicles being made and sold now, and check what spares the retailers are carrying.

I've been eying up the 2WD Jumpshot Flux's for a while now and am probably gonna gamble on an MT for my next purchase. I'll be sure to let y'all know if it comes back to bite me!

21 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

I've been eying up the 2WD Jumpshot Flux's for a while now and am probably gonna gamble on an MT for my next purchase. I'll be sure to let y'all know if it comes back to bite me!

I bought the jumpshot flux mt v2 a month ago or so, but there are enough parts for it find, integy have almost every part in alloy, and in the uk wheelspin an modelsport has parts for it,  I live in the netherlands and even there I can find parts for it local and enough on ebay, so I think you do have to worry  if you buy a jumpshot, other Hpi models is maybe a different story I don't know.

• Thanks 1