• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stripping and repainting a shell - can it be done?

Bert_w164

Hey,

Fortunately I've got a lovely Losi 8ight shell on its way to me soon, but a good friend has offered me another shell which needs some TLC. 

I was wondering, is there anything that can be used to strip the existing paint, that doesn't damage the shell and will allow me to repaint it? 

Usually I'd just buy a new shell, but it seems the Losi ones are hard to come buy or pretty expensive to buy new (usually an order from the states)

47 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Hey,

Fortunately I've got a lovely Losi 8ight shell on its way to me soon, but a good friend has offered me another shell which needs some TLC. 

I was wondering, is there anything that can be used to strip the existing paint, that doesn't damage the shell and will allow me to repaint it? 

Usually I'd just buy a new shell, but it seems the Losi ones are hard to come buy or pretty expensive to buy new (usually an order from the states)

can be done  but the amount of hours might not be worth it.    cannot remember what i used  but it was a very slow process. 

• Like 1

If it’s in need of some tlc anyway would it be worth having a go paining it on the outside? Might not be as durable but would be a way of avoiding stripping the old paint off. 

• Like 1

Hi . Yes it can be done I used paint stripper on the fin off the back and it went all soft  it was standard paint stripper (ftx fin ) so I wanted to strip a ftx outlaw body  so I guessed there the same plastic  and didnt have spare outlaw bit  so as I said it went bit soft then hardened wonky . 

So the next thing was brake fluid dot 4  it stripped the paint quite easy   except  the hard to get parts (creases) then it made the plastic a bit cloudy so not very good for windscreens . 

But it did take 99%of the paint off enough for me to paint again  .but as it was my 1st time  it didnt turn out that good . . 

Now if bought a brand new clear shell . I'm going to do that very carefully.  Read up on painting . 

So if it's a knock about shell  brake fluid dot 4 . Test it 1st on a wee part . 

I used a thing paint brush to rub the fluid in . Left it  then went over it again taken me a cupl hours.  . 

Edited by Iain .R
  • Like 1