• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My first attempt at Hydro dipping with film

Stooza

2 hours ago, Stooza said:

I've been wanting to try this for ages. A lot of watching videos and reading up over the past two weeks and I'm really pleased with the results. Managed to get this from bare shell to this in around 4 hours last night. 

Should really have done a whole thread on it. Any questions though, just shout. 

IMG_20210618_123739.jpg

IMG_20210618_124628.jpg

IMG_20210618_124801.jpg

IMG_20210618_124908.jpg

That looks great could you give some basic details on how you do it

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

That looks great could you give some basic details on how you do it

Of course. 

The things you need that you wouldn't have normally are:

- a big container (you may have this, but you need a BIG container) 

- hydrographic film (I got mine from here: https://www.hydrostyleuk.co.uk/ loads of choice, good quality, quick delivery) 

- aerosol activator (which you can get from the link above too) 

Prep the shell as you usually would for painting with fairy liquid wash etc. I didn't rough mine up because I wasn't sure it would be best for the film. 

I also used Liquid mask on the windows and rough flag on top. I wasn't sure if it would resist the film well or pull it up when I removed it, but it worked well. 

The container I used is pictured below. A 50 litre storage box that I got from homebase. The key things are that the shell needs to be able to be fully submerged in it. Also a good idea to have a container at least double the length and width of the shell. You'll want the film to be that size at least too. 

Fill the container just below the brim so it doesn't overflow when you dip. You need the water to be between 75-85f ideally. I found half hot tap water and half cold was perfect. Then cut the film to size as above - double the footprint of the shell. 

You will then also want to make small 1cm cuts into the film all the way around the edge. Space them about 10cms apart. When the film hits the water it will start to curl. This will stop it curling all the way in on itself. 

Now the hardest bit... Laying it on the water. Lick your thumb and forefinger and pinch one corner of the film. Whichever corner sticks to you needs to go face down on the water. 

You need to work quickly from here. The rest of this needs to happen in 3 minutes tops!

Then to lay the film on the water its best to go from one end to the other or hold opposite corners up and put the middle down first. Either way, you are aiming for no air bubbles, a bit like a screen protector on a phone. 

Once you've laid it, work any residual air bubbles out to the sides by very gently tapping them to ensure you don't sink the film. 

Then, after the film has been on the water for 60 seconds and has absorbed a good amount, spray the activator on making sure you get all areas. The film will at first expand quickly, then probably retract just as fast. 

You now need to start dipping the shell at a 45 degree angle starting either front or back. I deliberately looked to get that skull at the front. Once fully submerged, shake the shell to get rid of excess and pull away any residual ink so that it doesn't stick on the way back up. 

The shell will be covered in gloop! You need to rinse all this off under warm water. I was amazed by how much excess there was, but also how thoroughly I could rinse and rub without damaging the original print. Still be quite careful though. 

Then you're done. Paint behind as usual if lexan/polycarbonate, if doing the outside of a shell, reverse this and maybe prime it first. 

The length of typing this out has made me think ill do a video, so stand by your bed posts...

received_2990314384591522.jpeg

• Like 3

Awaiting a video with interest.   Would love to send all my basher shells out to be pro painted but £, so end up with basic one or two colour designs done myself.  Dipping seems a way to get an interesting finish without the cost.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Dipping seems a way to get an interesting finish without the cost.

What is the approximate cost of the film and activator stuff?  

Not including the requirement for a big container as that obviously varies more with project size. 

I've become a bit obsessed with bodyshells and teaching myself different techniques. I've even started home printing my own stickers. The lights and VW badges on this were made by me from photos of the actual car. 

I'm thinking about lending my services to do this kind of stuff, but I just don't think the margins are in it. 

38 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

What is the liquid mask stuff?   I’ve not come across that before

Like liquid latex. Takes some getting used to and a steady scalpel hand, but you can get some clean lines with it. 

I love a bit of Flat Clear for a matte effect, me, but I think it works particularly well with these films, as the shine can distract you from the detail. 

IMG_20210622_163415_edit_378548452174529.jpg

• Like 3