• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

core rc taxi yellow

Here's my Hobao DC-1

Rattle cans

Core RC Yellow Taxi (CR601)

Backed with Core RC Metallic Silver (CR621)

The black is Core RC Metallic Graphite (CR620

20210313_235927.thumb.jpg.9dc68c56b056d5d624fa05d34db2d69f.jpg

20210314_000157.thumb.jpg.decf81555bae0a88970e8799def5af25.jpg

20210313_140535.thumb.jpg.cce767952a955933c259d7e714555ea5.jpg

• Like 1

It looks better in real life than the pictures.

That's a fairly big shell so I used about 1 1/2  cans to get a good even coat and then 1 silver can to back it.

As I wanted a black roof and a black stripe (which can hardly bee seen under the side mouldings 😐) I had to mask the whole thing off first, which took ages.

There's the odd spot here and there where the masking wasn't quite tight, so a bit of faint black got under, but overall I'm happy.

The black originally was going to be a carbon effect, but my practice pieces didn't turn out as I'd have liked so didn't risk ruining the shell

• Like 1

On 08/06/2021 at 16:58, MrPeaski said:

It looks better in real life than the pictures.

That's a fairly big shell so I used about 1 1/2  cans to get a good even coat and then 1 silver can to back it.

As I wanted a black roof and a black stripe (which can hardly bee seen under the side mouldings 😐) I had to mask the whole thing off first, which took ages.

There's the odd spot here and there where the masking wasn't quite tight, so a bit of faint black got under, but overall I'm happy.

The black originally was going to be a carbon effect, but my practice pieces didn't turn out as I'd have liked so didn't risk ruining the shell

i decided against the Yellow, it was a tough decision but im going to use Core Petrol blue, with black backing, i think this will contrast nice with the black plastic grill and other parts for a more scale ford Ranger look

5 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

i decided against the Yellow, it was a tough decision but im going to use Core Petrol blue, with black backing, i think this will contrast nice with the black plastic grill and other parts for a more scale ford Ranger look

Taxi for @Jack Reacher

Ok, so my novice then. When it comes to painting clear shells, is it literally just a spray can? Do youse setup a "clean room" to paint or just whack it on? I'm wanting to get a new shell for my Quantum...and also look at painting the bright green wheels another colour 😄 

5 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

Taxi for @Jack Reacher

Ok, so my novice then. When it comes to painting clear shells, is it literally just a spray can? Do youse setup a "clean room" to paint or just whack it on? I'm wanting to get a new shell for my Quantum...and also look at painting the bright green wheels another colour 😄 

Plenty of video`s on youtube but you need PS spray, i try to paint on a warm dry day with little wind outside, cant help with the wheels, you may need a nylon dye for them i know @tomr did his black

15 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Plenty of video`s on youtube but you need PS spray, i try to paint on a warm dry day with little wind outside, cant help with the wheels, you may need a nylon dye for them i know @tomr did his black

Yeah, I was looking at the sprays on ModelSport, so I'd buy specific RC sprays. Yep, warm day, minimal wind. Just curious as to how far to go with it (setting up a clean environment with plastic dust sheets etc.) but if it's just a spray can...

I actually saw another post where someone did one of the nylon dyes from a mix. There's a few different types, but I know you need to be careful with the tyres as sometimes ABS warp. Not sure if the Quantum are nylon or ABS either...

When I did this in March this year, I was doing it in my garage and it was quite cold.

I set up a pasting table and made a 'booth' out of a couple of large cardboard boxes and set up a small fan heater (on low)  to blow into the 'booth' from about 1.5 meters away.

I guessed that overspray could go anywhere so I covered my bikes up with a couple of dust sheets. (it did get through a couple of gaps though)

Before starting I put the shell into the booth, with the fan on and left everything to warm up. Each can of paint was left in a jug of hand hot water for about 5 mins and then shaken well before spraying.

I did a few light coats, leaving each about 10 mins in the warmth of the booth before re-coating.

Once all the painting was done, I brought the shell into the house, and left it in a warm room to dry for a couple of hours before fitting the body mouldings etc.

Despite the room being 2 storeys up, the smell did permeate throughout the house, but it was only for a few hours.

• Like 1