• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MAXX 4S OWNERS THREAD

turok007

Thanks.  I'm half considering one of those new sliders from the States.  As I'd only want to change wheels/tyres, ESC & motor anyway, so see little point in buying a stock RTR either new or used, only to have to swap out loads of it straight away.  Thinking 3.8 Badlands (original ones on raid wheels), clear body to paint, one of those ESC's listed above, and a Castle 1515 2200kv knock off, which I already have.  Also have some Proline 3.8 tarmac tyres I could use at skate park etc.

11 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Thanks.  I'm half considering one of those new sliders from the States.  As I'd only want to change wheels/tyres, ESC & motor anyway, so see little point in buying a stock RTR either new or used, only to have to swap out loads of it straight away.  Thinking 3.8 Badlands (original ones on raid wheels), clear body to paint, one of those ESC's listed above, and a Castle 1515 2200kv knock off, which I already have.  Also have some Proline 3.8 tarmac tyres I could use at skate park etc.

Obviously youll need a servo (its a special x maxx sized one) unless you buy the adapter. Then youll need all the clip less body mount system. It all adds up. 

i adore both of mine, but theyre far from stock. Id suggest you look for a second hand one. I got lucky with a ridiculously upgraded roller, and did my thing with the electrics, and my second one was brought used, with electrics id have not chosen. but again was heavily upgraded. 

With a big motor like that Id want steel driveshafts (thats £130 with the Hex’s). You can get away without Widemaxx if you get offset wheels, but bare in mind if you get steel driveshafts for stock width, they wont work with Widemaxx

Unless these sliders are mega cheap, just expect to potentially sink some cash into it. 

Edited by Kpowell911

Fair point, I hadn't considered the driveshaft situation, or the servo for that matter, though I do have a few decent torque standard size ones lying around, so could just get the adapter I suppose.  For the body I was thinking the Proline body mount system so I could use other body styles in the future.  But, yes, prob need to give it some further thought before pressing the button, as it could very easily become a bit of a money pit, albeit a very capable one. 

Yeah, got mine like 2 weeks ago.

Haven‘t really run it yet, weather in Germany has been terrible and I don’t run my cars when it’s wet.

Sold the stock electronics and installed a Max6, 4274 2000kv motor running 26/46 gearing, Savox 2290 servo, steel CVDs and a set of Backflip LPs.

Electronics might change though, it’s what I had laying around and a bit overkill

I like the longer chassis and the new battery tray fits all my 4s Lipos, even the hardcase ones which the old tray did not.

93A199A9-F4B7-4B05-8593-214AEB44EE72.jpeg

0746AC60-6B33-47FF-9139-317FB620B680.jpeg

73B0026A-74D8-4B8D-B73B-48145B6D44F4.jpeg

Edited by Snowmandk

Boring one, but Ive got a brand new Chassis and Shock towers to dye black, but used the dye on the Rustler, also, it might not be worth dying the stock length chassis as I may end up going extended with the V2 parts. 

However, I had some play in my steering on Green Maxx, it was coming from worn ball ends on the steering links. So switched them out for alloy ones

Rl0mQvH.jpg

As you can see, the ball insert is smaller on my alloys ones, so I used 3mm thick spacer 

XUg4Pfh.jpg

Morning all, and happy new year!  Can I ask one of you Maxx guys to take a couple of measurements for me please?  I need the width of the chassis (from above, at its widest point) so I can work out what other shells might fit, and for the same reason, the approx length of the shell from front to rear edge.   I believe the wheelbase is around 13". Thanks

24 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Morning all, and happy new year!  Can I ask one of you Maxx guys to take a couple of measurements for me please?  I need the width of the chassis (from above, at its widest point) so I can work out what other shells might fit, and for the same reason, the approx length of the shell from front to rear edge.   I believe the wheelbase is around 13". Thanks

Standard shell?

On my way out but make off these quick measurements what you will @bertberr

The stock shell fits tight to the chassis and into the nerf bars, Ive took pics of a bare chassis I have lying around WITHOUT the nerf bars. 

ckt3mTt.jpg

The tape measure isnt at 0 on this one looking at it now
skR4J97.jpg

7BDMbpG.jpg

Z5uoeK9.jpg

GVjZRer.jpg

WmYYriG.jpg

Edited by Kpowell911

Thanks for that.  So, I'd say from those pics that the shell needs to be around 160mm wide to fit nicely around chassis /  nerf bars?  And the length looks to be approx 475-480mm.

Couple of other questions when you get a chance to reply.

1. What is the biggest 4S lipo that can used in the SWB chassis with standard battery hold down bar (length/width/height)?  And if you need to go bigger, what is the best option?

2. And what would be the best durability upgrades that you could do to a Maxx, for BMX / skate park use?  I don't send it like some of the YT bods, mainly because I have to pay for my own breakages, but it will get jumped and generally bashed around by myself and the kids, as they're meant to be really.  I'd prob get one with widemaxx already fitted, more interested in what you think of things like CVDs, proper 1/8 axles/17mm hexes, aluminium knuckles/chubs/carriers etc, steel spur, others?

Thanks

Battery Tray is 165mm x 45mm x 43mm

The Maxx is a VERY durable RC. But Ill tell you one thing. Its heavy. A lot heavier than youre expecting for its size. Running its 5kg+.  Skate Parks break RCs, mainly cause youre landing on concrete or metal. I tend to use smaller lighter RCs for skate parks. 

All the Traxxas models I own have some sort of optional steel driveshaft. But you know what, I think Im just conditioned to expect metal there, so Ive honestly never ran stock plastic axles on any of them. They may be fine, so my advice is to obtain a cheap used one hopefully with upgrades and use it. If it break, upgrade it. 

If you go back a few pages and check my 2nd Maxx, I paid £350 for that. It had a budget radio and motor, but as a base its brilliant. 

Great Bash today

p98xeiw.jpg

2TwfMjK.jpg

Now, everywhere I look, I hear great things about Treal. However, Im having steering issues with the Maxx….

I run a Savox 2292, which I appreciate is over kill, but its BENDING my Treal alloy bellcrank. You can see stress marks here:

epKpeXm.jpg

pmy2qXF.jpg

I cant figure out why its stressing it so much? The Hot Racing one was fine. The servo saver is tight, but it still pushes it past and I end up with no steering just the bellcrank flexxing? Bearings are new, theres no binding etc

Thanks for the dimensions, that confirms my current 4S packs are going to be too big, which is a shame, more expense.... Well, I could stand them on their side, but then I'd need 8-10mm of high density foam alongside, and will obviously increase the already high COG ☹️ and would necessitate some sort of upgraded battery hold down strap/bar to allow for the extra height.

What 4S packs do you guys use in your Maxx's that fit correctly in the stock tray / compartment, i.e. on their front/back as opposed to their side?

And when I said skate parks, well really it would be mainly dirt BMX track with some general off road on grass etc, as I tend to use my 1/16 stuff at the skate park now.

23 hours ago, bertberr said:

Thanks for the dimensions, that confirms my current 4S packs are going to be too big, which is a shame, more expense.... Well, I could stand them on their side, but then I'd need 8-10mm of high density foam alongside, and will obviously increase the already high COG ☹️ and would necessitate some sort of upgraded battery hold down strap/bar to allow for the extra height.

What 4S packs do you guys use in your Maxx's that fit correctly in the stock tray / compartment, i.e. on their front/back as opposed to their side?

And when I said skate parks, well really it would be mainly dirt BMX track with some general off road on grass etc, as I tend to use my 1/16 stuff at the skate park now.

Well my GreenMaxx runs aftermarket battery straps for upto 6s running (2x 3s).

I run these in my Maxx with the stock battery tray, mainly cause I have 4 of them for my X Maxx.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/317783/

I also run these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08R9S3CLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, bertberr said:

What do you guys reckon is a realistic sale price for a brand new VXL-4S esc (out of a new Maxx)???  Just wondering what a Max8 upgrade would actually cost me.

More than youd expect

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=vxl+4s+esc&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&_odkw=vxl+4s&_osacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Theyre completed sales, Id have thought £80 is sensible after fee’s etc

Id keep the stock motor though

Edited by Kpowell911

OK, thanks, so with perhaps 50 for the TQi Tx & Rx, and say 40 quid for the motor, I'd prob be looking at circa 150 for the radio and combo?  Which makes a V2 roller about 450 and a V1 roller (non widemaxx) around 400.  Factor in 100 quid for a Max8, and 120 ish for CVDs and proper 17mm hex, and I'd be at 670 for a V2...  The Sketer is starting to look like reasonable (not great) value at 409... 

5 minutes ago, bertberr said:

OK, thanks, so with perhaps 50 for the TQi Tx & Rx, and say 40 quid for the motor, I'd prob be looking at circa 150 for the radio and combo?  Which makes a V2 roller about 450 and a V1 roller (non widemaxx) around 400.  Factor in 100 quid for a Max8, and 120 ish for CVDs and proper 17mm hex, and I'd be at 670 for a V2...  The Sketer is starting to look like reasonable (not great) value at 409... 

Id keep the 540XL motor, its better suited to the truck than the 2200 4274 Max 8 Motor. If you wanna sell it Id be interested though. 2200kv isnt enough despite being a bigger can I cant get it geared high enough to compensate without running hot. Hence Id probably buy yours lol

Id still suggest the Sketer though

Edited by Kpowell911