• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MAXX 4S OWNERS THREAD

turok007

Spent some more time with the new Maxx. Im quite impressed with it after a clean up. Ive replaced a few screws, checked the gearing and things are theadlocked and not noticed any issues. Proof will be in the bash but I think Ive got a bargain 🙂

Dont know wether to solder a single connector on the ESC, or leave it how it is. The motor in theory is a lower kV than stock, but the same size (3670). Its been geared up to accomodate. It doesnt “look” man enough to me, but I think its cause Ive never saw the stock motor, only a 4274, so again proof will be in the bash. 

QRF8XAx.jpg

dnSbMTP.jpg

jVEBLhh.jpg

With GreenMaxx

Q4Hfv15.jpg

IEhCJTe.jpg

Wlkn22n.jpg

My girlfriends two toys 🙂

pNfmbnB.jpg

Squad:

9xuWnyo.jpg

• Like 1

Took the new Maxx for a shake down. Stock servo isnt brilliant, especially with a Widekit and Offset wheels. Now the motor. I expected it to last 5 minutes, and Id be buying a 42XX motor. But it performs the same as my 2200kv. It does however cog very bad, Im hoping its over geared as if Im honest, Ive never experienced cogging but this “sounds” horrific at times. That said:

h3dQVvp.jpg

Xmnt2Xa.jpg

My Mrs driving:

https://i.imgur.com/k1i1WhH.mp4

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

Its less fun cleaning than using:

JS4GeJe.jpg

That said, Ive had a good look round and Im quite happy, potentially gonna need a Bearing kit but it appears to have an X Maxx Servo too! I upgraded to my old Black Hot Racing Aluminium Bell Crank Steering to hopefully improve the steering. 

Decided to investigate the gearing….. 

It has a Hot Racing 50t Wide Alloy Spur, but the pinion was held in with a massive 3mm screw??

wauVvSr.jpg

this is obviously not right, and Im guessing is unballanced. Also. The motor mount looks worse for wear. So into the parts box, Ive changed it to a mint one from my Green Maxx, also changed the pinion for a smaller 22t (with normal sized grub screw). I still think theres some cogging (and its now geared 2 teeth lower than stock, with a motor thats 250kv  less than stock). It could be the Trenchers, but theyre not much bigger than stock?

• 2 weeks later...

So I had some clicking from the read diff on the used Maxx….. I diagnosed it as a slightly worn pinion gear….

wvYw5QG.jpg

It didnt look too bad but:

qbNjw3U.jpg

As you can see its quite won. The diff ring was fine however…… but I changed that anyway and cleaned everything out just in case there was any shards in there:

All done:

DeB6W7I.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strange  as it will do them out of sales on the arms.  wonder if they had to many complaints   also has bigger lipo mount  MS have it up for £600   

funny the old one says 60mph  but the new one says 60mph  with power upgrades

Edited by turok007

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

I dont see this as a separate entity more of a replacement. They did the same with the E Maxx 3906, skinny originally, then Wide Maxx replaced it

Did they sell a wide kit for the emax  or was it the mk1 then just the mk2  as at the moment traxxas is selling a car then the arms  that's why im thinking it is strange.   Also the 2 emaxx were a bit different & a gap in between  this seams to be the same  and not a gap really between releases  But as i said the new listing says.  60mph with power upgrades   does that mean something has been changed  and now you need the power upgrades ?

Edited by turok007

They didnt sell a kit, but Im not talking about the Mk1 and Mk 2 etc they did this:

Released a Skinny E Maxx 3906

It  got replaced by a Wide 3906 (think this is when they changed to Novak ESCs too)

Then years later the 3905 Emaxx (Mk2) came out which was a new chassis etc, the Brushless edition (3908) was basically the 3905. 

Ill dig out some pics of my pre wide E Maxx 3906

27 minutes ago, turok007 said:

Wonder what they have done to make it longer.  as the front drive shafts look straight out still.

I cant work it out 😕

Surely the body latch system etc would have to be different if it was chassis, it must be the angle of the a arms?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

I cant work it out 😕

Surely the body latch system etc would have to be different if it was chassis, it must be the angle of the a arms?

i was thinking F&R bulkheads could have a bit extra on them  or is it just the bumpers a little bit bigger

4 hours ago, turok007 said:

Any idea what  (power upgrades) means  as older one says pinion for 60mph  but newer one says pinion & power upgrades

Maybe theyre just been more accurate this time. I think 60mph on the old electrics on 4S is optimistic. Lets be honest 60mph off road is silly. 

I have no proof of this, this is just my idea, but you may be able to ‘power up’ to the E Revo 2.0 system?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snowmandk said:

That’s interesting, wasn‘t expecting there to be other changes. But a bit longer wheelbase might be nice. 

My preorder shipped and should be here early next week. Can take some pics and measurements then.

Ill look forward to that. I’ll probably convert my Green one if it’s possible 

On 04/12/2021 at 15:16, Kpowell911 said:

Theres a gap between the Motor and ESC so guessing its a longer chassis

Didn‘t notice that at first, but you are right. The batterytray seems to be longer too.
Also, the front shock towers look different where the bumper attaches, but the might just be a slightly different angle of the pics I used to compare.

I am curious as to why Traxxas hasn‘t officially announced anything yet, the Wide Maxx rtr also doesn’t seem to be listed in the US-shops yet.

Has Traxxas ever done that before?