• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MAXX 4S OWNERS THREAD

turok007

A kit version, complete with wide kit, proper CVDs and ally shocks, priced at 500 or less, I'd be tempted. 

610 for what you get? No. 

As a replacement to the classic E-Maxx, I like em, but not at that price. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

You can get a MT410 for that kind of money 😂

Thats the thing, its at the back of mind. 

Theyre almost too good to bash however arent they though? And Im not sure theyre as “strong” as a Maxx at a skatepark etc. For all Traxxas faults, the Plastic Modular Chassis build works so well on the X, I can see it bein even better on a smaller lighter truck. 

17 minutes ago, Tug said:

A kit version, complete with wide kit, proper CVDs and ally shocks, priced at 500 or less, I'd be tempted. 

610 for what you get? No. 

As a replacement to the classic E-Maxx, I like em, but not at that price. 

To be fair. It has the alloy shocks. Agreed on the rest, they brought out a factory wide 3906 Emaxx back in the day

4 hours ago, Guns said:

Im extremely close to pulling the trigger on one, as I feel it will be perfect to run along side my X Maxx and only run one battery. Id sell my Kraton and maybe a Slash to fund it. 

However, the prices are putting me off as its ending up VERY expensive with the Widemaxx kit, CVDSs and 17mm hexes (so its nearly £800). Ive read those upgrades are needed for reliable 4S running. 

Its probabaly going to need a new servo and ESC too being Traxxas. 

That said, second hand prices seem very stable so?

Im just not sure its worth that price

Im sure the servo and ESC were from the 6s x maxx   so they should be ok. (i hope)    As for selling your kraton & slash they are fetching good money at the moment.

27 minutes ago, turok007 said:

Im sure the servo and ESC were from the 6s x maxx   so they should be ok. (i hope)    As for selling your kraton & slash they are fetching good money at the moment.

its more the performance. You gain so much switching out the esc and servo from stock Traxxas

• Like 1

Managed to get £60 back already off the spare non wide CVDs and Tubes so this thing owes me £260 now so Im even more confident Ive done the right thing. 

Ive brought a new Vitavon Servo Mount, in Green this time. Not cheap, but Ive got the £60 from the sales, plus Ill sell the red mount for maybe £25. 

All my RCs and tools are at my Mrs house as its much better for bashing round her way, but Im going to try and get them back on my lunch so can strip the Kraton of her electrics and maybe get this running. Ill need a pinion around the 25 mark it appears, dont think Ive got that high but we will see. 

I think ill try this out, if I like it, sell the Kraton, 2x Slashes and put some cash back in the bank, and buy some new Wheels n Tyres. 

Only thing Im not sure on is the servo! May sell the 2292 and buy something cheaper?

• Like 1

Ok, didnt get my tools or radio back today. Ive made a start but its been quite unsucessful….

To start, heres my electrics choice. Stripped out of my Kraton….

hoqBdzU.jpg

Ignore the massive scratch on the servo from me running an incorrect Servo horn 😩😩😩

This is where it goes a bit wrong haha. 4 items to fit ok….

Got the motor fitted, decided to go with a 22t Pinion and 46 spur….. Nope, not gonna work, cant get close enough to mesh, so Ive ordered a 25t pinion. 

Ahh well. Ill fit the servo…..

My first ever Vitavon product…. ive also just spent best part of £60 on the same part in Green and…..

tmtWzfY.jpg

It DOES screw in, but its not a great look is it? I thought maybe it was my servo, but I also have a Plastic Traxxas Mount and its perfect in that…….

Its in but perfectly securely but Im not happy, so 0/2 so far. 

ESC…. Easy…. nope, im going to need a 3D printed plinth as I cant secure to the honeycomb. Hopefully @Paul Busby can help me out….. XT90 is on order to switch to single connector. 

0/3…..

RX….. of course thats too big for the RX box isnt it? 😩😂 Im going to have to hope that this RX fits in the X Maxx (which is at my Mrs house so cant check) so I can put the Micro RX in this

0/4……

Im just going to guess that my Lipos wont fit either……

On plus note, the Slash has sold which means I can get some new wheels/tyres and a shell once Ive got her sorted

It also appears the seller didnt give me the bung for the RX box….. it was in the Auction pics, but Ive not got it. Luckily I had a spare

MlSHlbt.jpg

Edited by Guns
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

Doesn't the Maxx come with a weird size servo as stock and you need a different mount to run a standard one? I think that's what the Vitavon part is made for.

yup the servo is from the Xmaxx so needs a special mount if you want to run something normal

4 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

Doesn't the Maxx come with a weird size servo as stock and you need a different mount to run a standard one? I think that's what the Vitavon part is made for.

Yea, the stock servo is an X Maxx Servo, the Vitavon mount is to allow you to run a standard servo. 

The stock servo looks nothing like a servo as we know it, its basically bolted down flat by three screws, and is the same size as the entire red Vitavon mount

• Like 1

You can see the stock servo here. 

image.jpeg.a85bba5289cdb3fd28c5551307efa906.jpeg

2 minutes ago, turok007 said:

So if i want to replace the stock servo  i will have to read a lot to see what will fit.

Traxxas make a plastic one or you can buy this red one really cheap when my green one comes?

1 minute ago, Guns said:

You can see the stock servo here. 

image.jpeg.a85bba5289cdb3fd28c5551307efa906.jpeg

Traxxas make a plastic one or you can buy this red one really cheap when my green one comes?

Ok just let me know when you want to sell.  👍

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Guns said:

Yea, the stock servo is an X Maxx Servo, the Vitavon mount is to allow you to run a standard servo. 

The stock servo looks nothing like a servo as we know it, its basically bolted down flat by three screws, and is the same size as the entire red Vitavon mount

Thanks for explaining, no excuse for Vitavon then haha. Hope you can get it sorted. 

• Like 1

Bit more luck today. Went and got my other RCs and tools etc off the Mrs, put my larger RX into the X Maxx which left this one to go into the Maxx

GWPyuRi.jpg

All fitted and wired up. Profiles etc changed on TX. Ive re centred the servo, and set end points. The steering is insane with the 2292 servo 😅

My lipos do fit too. So Im just after a single XT90, a Pinion and some way of mounting the ESC. 

Im busy Till Sat, then Im going on holiday on Sunday so itll be next week by the time she runs 😕

• Like 2

On 07/06/2021 at 10:06, mydoddy69 said:

S^^^^^ Agreed ^^^^^  MT410 for the win as for skatepark bashing it’s what they where made for 

Is it even possible to break them? That truck can take some serious abuse!!

• Like 1

Ok then, the parts needed to run this turned up whilst I was away, but Im back now….

Pinion, 3D Printed ESC mount from @Paul Busby and an XT90

W52YxSi.jpg

I provided the link for Paul to print which he did perfectly, however it needed a little notch taking out…. I took too much out but hey…

DrTQRHs.jpg

GDS Pinion, very wide, slightly wider than the Wide Spur option. Ive gone 24/46 with a Centre Diff

3FW8hPh.jpg

Green motor mount and green servo mount are on their way…..

pphiVGO.jpg

VagVI2h.jpg

Maiden run……. Only in the cul de sac to be fair……

Ive been brutally harsh on my EXB, so just because this is Traxxas. Its only fair im the same….

Performance is obviously fine, its a 2200kv on 4s, I’ll probably run 3s more often to be honest. It wheelies even with the centre diff, and the wheelie bar doesnt seem in the right place to be of any help, Im sure this can be solved with some diff tuning and some esc/tx settings. 

It feels very very ‘fun’ to drive, very playful but……. i simply cannot imagine what this is like without a wide kit. It still rolls over easily…. Which is annoying….. I think this needs Wide Maxx PLUS Offset wheels to be bashable….

Im in a good place financially with this, the money is there for offset wheels (although I cant find any)….

I also had some vague steering but that was solved by rebuilding (and thread locking) the Hot Racing Alloy Steering Bellcranks as they were very loose

Im sure with some wider wheels (Ive got the money for a new shell/wheels/tyres anyway, but. backflip 4s’ arent offset pre mounted…… Im sure this is going to be solid when I bash it, but out the box, if Id paid £600+ for this without the Widekit etc I dont think id be too happy. Had I brought everything new thats on this one, with the electrics id be into around £1500…..Thats not good enough, its simply too much for what you get. 

Im personally happy with mine, it looks amazing, and by the time Id sold the bits, the roller cost me £250, I took the electrics out the EXB, and Ill pay £80ish for some offset wheels/tyres. Itll always be worth around what i paid, and Im hoping itll be strong as an ox in other areas…..

So, if you’re thinking of buying a new Maxx……. Dont, buy an MT410

Heres mine with what she is replacing….

H9qfhEm.jpg

• Like 2