• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which rock racer?

Thinking of getting one of these. I was looking at the axial bomber or losi Rock rey 1/10. What are peoples opinion on these and can anyone recommend any others? 

I'd really prefer a kit to build too but it's not essential. 

• 1 month later...

My money would go into the Rock Rey these days I think, I prefer the independent front end, it’s like a more expensive (hopefully tougher) Outlaw - seems to be the best of the bunch, but I don’t know if you can buy it as a kit

I have the rock rey kit version, but they do not sell them anymore I was lucky that the kit version popped up on a german website for €250,  but I really like the car.

It is a very tough car, run about 30 packs trough it now and not broke a thing and nothing is worn so it is very durable, running a castle 1415 2400kv motor on 3s

But you have to do some necessary upgrades to run it on 3s without breaking the drivetrain,  you have to buy an alloy front bulkhead the plastic stock one has to much flex and then the ring and pinion gear can skip,  the same goes for the third member buy an alloy one or you ring and pinion gear skip and get stripped.

And you have to do a bigger bolt mod on the diffs, the bolts on the diffs are to thin and just snap of,  I have bought the exotek alloy diff cups they have thicker bolts in them but you have to drill the holes of the ring gears and spur to fit the thicker bolts, but that was an easy job with a little ball mill that I used,

you can also use the stock diff cups and use thicker and longer bolts from traxxas,  or gpm makes also alloy diff cups, there is a lot info to find on other forums.

Spent about 100€ on the upgrades other then these the car is stock.

• Like 2

It seems like they discontinued the rock rey,  I hope they still sell spares for them, but  for now I still can find a lot of parts or aftermarket parts for the car.

Edited by No brains

• 2 weeks later...

I can find plenty for sale still on a quick Google search.

I must admit, I like it, I'm kinda 50/50 on a rock racer but from what I can tell:

Lazernut:

Transmission isnt fit for purpose and will (not if) break, someone of these forums has one and is getting good use but has to replace the transmission.

Rock Rey:

Well going by the above post, same thing.

DB pro:

Apparently uses the same transmission as the Lazernut, so .... Smaller lighter wheel may mean it might last a bit longer, it also doesn't have the ground clearance.

FTX DR8:

Get mixed information on this, some say very reliable, others not, the thread on this forum seems to be various posts about stuff breaking.

There is of course the Super Rock Rey and DB Pro XL but they are larger much more expensive......

So basically, I'm not convinced there is a truly solid rock racer on the market.

Unless I've missed something?

• Like 1