• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hi All, Nooby needing a little help

LeeLar

Hi All, new to all this RC stuff and it a bloody minefield.  I got a cheap RC car for my little one that broke on the first day, so i decided to invest a little more and got a brushed FTX Outlaw.  Now ive taken over as i have realised you can mod these things ...ooops !

I have installed a GoolRC 3900KV motor running on Lipo 2's.  Now the little one is not allowed to use it unsupervised as its crazy fast !

I have a problem however that i hope someone can point me in the right direction.  I purchased two motors, one went missing in the post so i hastily got another one (only for them both to arrive at the same time) but had not realized it had a 5mm shaft and not a 3.175mm shaft. 

1. Is there a way to reduce the shaft ( as it is removable ) ?

2. Is there a way to replace the 17t pinion to one with a 5mm hole still keeping the O/D of the gear ?

3. Shall i simply bore the hole of the gear to suit the 5mm shaft ?

Please dont flame me too much guys !

Edited by LeeLar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LeeLar said:

Hi All, new to all this RC stuff and it a bloody minefield.  I got a cheap RC car for my little one that broke on the first day, so i decided to invest a little more and got a brushed FTX Outlaw.  Now ive taken over as i have realised you can mod these things ...ooops !

I have installed a GoolRC 3900KV motor running on Lipo 2's.  Now the little one is not allowed to use it unsupervised as its crazy fast !

I have a problem however that i hope someone can point me in the right direction.  I purchased two motors, one went missing in the post so i hastily got another one (only for them both to arrive at the same time) but had not realized it had a 5mm shaft and not a 3.175mm shaft. 

1. Is there a way to reduce the shaft ( as it is removable ) ?

2. Is there a way to replace the 17t pinion to one with a 5mm hole still keeping the O/D of the gear ?

3. Shall i simply bore the hole of the gear to suit the 5mm shaft ?

Please dont flame me too much guys !

You can get a replacement pinion with 5mm bore. 

I would recommend upgrading to hardened spur and pinion if you haven’t already as the teeth will likely sheer off with the upgraded motor:

spur:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rw-hardened-acetal-outlaw-main-spur-gear-62t/rc-car-products/433883

Pinion:

https://uk-m.banggood.com/3PCS-M0_6-17T-28T-Metal-Pinion-Motor-Gear-for-5mm-Shaft-1-or-8-RC-Car-Engine-Spare-Parts-p-1582657.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&gmcCountry=GB&utm_content=minha&utm_content=sxxx&utm_campaign=minha-gbg-en-mb&utm_campaign=ssc-gbg-all-0218&currency=GBP&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&ID=6278551&ad_id=332556156911&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpdqDBhCSARIsAEUJ0hOhHX0IAVfpZ957HHcn6CCI3KO1Hahn90aF4zzq8W2XhHBLegT1pOAaAlRhEALw_wcB

0.6 pitch pinions with 5mm bore are not easy to find. There may well be one on eBay or Google if you look hard enough. Otherwise, the link I have put above is fine, but a bit of a wait on delivery.

• Like 1