• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tried soldering and failed...sad face.

Tabbie

Like a fool I thought I'd change my Dean's connections over to Ec5  on my Rival mt10 and failed miserably. 

YouTube video's make soldering look so easy, now I've another Rc truck am unable to run.

Plan 'A' find a electrical repair shop that might help.

Plan 'B' purchase a cable with the Ec5 connector attached and join cable together https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/prewired-female-ec5-connector-lead-10cm?gclid=CjwKCAjwpKCDBhBPEiwAFgBzjzg8X2-1F4wNi2JD0B7j7cPb2FYBk35BdY6wYIc1NtJDdmKDbE0f2BoChm4QAvD_BwE

Plan 'C' buy another soldering iron and keep trying, until I loose my mind.

7 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Tabbie you are not alone on this, my old iron struggled on anything over XT60 so ordered a 100w nuclear furnace of an iron, thats just too hot so now waiting on an 80w with variable heat, as i need to solder XT90`s

I think my Dad's old soldering iron isn't helping and the fact the esc is still in the truck, but I genuinely find soldering difficult,  I'd happily pay to have it done.

Looks easy but it's certainly not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tug said:

A hot iron and quick hands are key, don't hold the iron on the work for too long. 

Practice on bits you've got laying around?

You are right of course practice makes perfect but its difficult when you don't need to solder very often. 

• Like 1

What exactly went wrong? 

Also, EC5 sucks to solder/assemble in the first place. What are you soldering with (picture of the tip)? Generally, soldering is actually super simple. And that's not meant as  boasting or something - it actually is. My wife soldered her RCs herself without prior knowledge, just by being instructed. I will say that your kit makes a big difference (correct tip, flux, solder etc), but generally soldering is genuinely easy. Especially XT connectors. For a soldering iron, you generally don't need more than 60W either. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

I solder large gauge wiring mainly for my speed run RC's with big 8mm connectors and all I use is a decent 40W soldering iron from Weller (model n# SP40NUK). 

Important things are keeping your tip clean (otherwise it won't transfer the heat properly), tinned and to use flux. 

Soldering basics guide here written by another forum member: 

Soldering iron I would recommend:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weller-SP40NUK-Watt-Performance-Soldering/dp/B00CQMGV2G/ref=asc_df_B00CQMGV2G/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309815944779&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11982615181801667510&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007415&hvtargid=pla-563940103321&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Tip tinner (for cleaning the tip & re-tinning): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lead-Free-Tip-Tinner-Soldering-Iron-Tips-Container-Cleaner-Solder-Residue-ReTins/353375454696?epid=16016668785&hash=item5246d185e8:g:VQkAAOSw3ppgGoMZ

Flux (use even if your solder contains flux core): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Flux-Soldering-Paste-in-the-20g-tin-for-Electronics-SMD-plumbing-DIY-etc/313367492322?epid=2255531445&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item48f62876e2:g:RWwAAOSw-rVf8QRj&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkRjLZq23gAR%2BKma9gM2Z1hhgEr2CkPotdjO024URkjV6nQtJBjpFDHsP67eCP6VHzQPALX8EwGuM62MAF7h6oNFjNqbTeVxfyRHCC%2BwYbITF7H3Rr%2BCvTwvAnIZeU2WPzWdHTcen1YVHb5Fj6KQWFAkajd0W8GRH3TqORf90468FmaweeSvMMtmLvhr90MomOnHDzxbHt4Cn18M5NUFRYfj3KHiUFZDbuWKR%2B6%2Bc9pfcLG834HtW%2F5a9cE1BPiIbR1sMHzjsrwuXSS6U9UNv1XBduq7HZ42xiVZB1cXsTo4L2dFmhtrvfBCKKZmP2ucyYElBPleWHMQleGcn0bGwjQWWp9MjBFM9if***1XJ5qDrEcCc%2Fi%2B2Zkc1LCLPx1z%2Bsa86tJmd6L87LGaH4xUtw5u4NUDUr5jPUoz3UyGuMvy%2F51HJ%2BAq3181w5%2BhHFV7HeA21g8E4Pr2KSePPv9y5GOL1hlY5%2BJbWxTupcNtZkLSUSDnUNe4eWFQtS0aUIRoVg8CC%2BkJUROZbr1VbGEQXz%2F3ZY%2BZUdzEDHwiyNl86qenQPiS5oKvyRq2yxM6Ez%2BsmZQHbuL6dzLecV43PGegEDeS%2FjSClhp7sjvqv6K4dE9ETPekaH5wtox5LssAq0IjGxX3W3n950jYsfESae1QAJRnmc9RoX64hMrKOY4g25oyHj6%2FdWCWxSko1qiVMzQwYlHtB%2BkZhwaafJRtFmdB5Cmnzyl26JOln7BSD9CyDDH%2BnGXoQMnT59%2F0aQdCwaYbFtcyohl1P4IvBSX%2BYxfBflxw%3D%3D|cksum%3A313367492322b6f6a2869d77404ba1f06e49e5d89b90|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldering-Station-Digital-Desoldering-Variable/dp/B07L69M1HV

That's what i'm using, chinese knockoff of something but actually has a good reputation in the RC world. I personally don't like the "all in one" irons (for the lack of better term), i prefer having a light grip and very soft/bendy cable. Can be had cheaper from Ali i'd assume.

One thing i'd add, and makes a huge difference: helping hands. Makes a huge difference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Soldering-Resistant-Swiveling-Brushless/dp/B07233QBBS/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=third+hand&qid=1617450043&sr=8-9

Though personally i'd look for clamping ones. This was just the first one that popped to mind, search for "soldering helping hands" or "soldering third hand". 

edit: and most importantly, understand that both pieces you want to join need heat in them. I struggled with that in the beginning, following the "don't hold the iron too long" advice, which is misleading. Too long is when the connector melts (not applicable to EC5), but you want to get up there otherwise you end up with a poop/cold joint. Basically, the way i solder EC5 - clamp the bullet in my helping hands, stick the soldering tip in for 10-20 seconds (set to 410 degrees), and then melt the solder against the sidewall of the connector, not of the soldering tip (having it flow into the bullet). Pre-tin the wire (again, clamp in helping hands, hold tip against it for 15-30 seconds depending on thickness, and then hold the solder opposite of the soldering tip against the cable until it melts into the strands - flux helps pulling the solder in). Then, start heating the bullet with one side of the iron, the cable on the other side for around 10 seconds, push the lead into the bullet, realise you forgot that stupid connector housing, de-solder everything again, start from step 1 with connector housing sleeved this time, done.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

What exactly went wrong? 

Also, EC5 sucks to solder/assemble in the first place. What are you soldering with?

I basically need 2 pair of hands and skills I don't have.

I load up the connector with solder and tin the wire but trying to get the wire to connect is a nightmare. 

Lots of advice here thank you I really appreciate it.

I definitely need to practice with the advice in mind and new equipment. 

• Like 1

@Tabbiea "helping hand" as @m4inbrainsaid is definitely a must especially as the wires can get too hot to hold at times before the solder has hardened enough when connecting together. 

This is like the one I use and has a nice big base for added stability: https://opencircuit.shop/Product/Soldering-center-helping-hand-plus-magnifier

Something easy to make for soldering is a connector holder ~ just get a decent block of wood and drill holes for the different size connectors you're trying to solder. Doesn't have to be perfect either just as long as it's good enough to hold the connector securely while you fill with solder and subsequently insert the wire.
Wood is also good because it doesn't draw away the heat like metal holders can/do.

Edited by GMballistic
spelling
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, champ222 said:

Where abouts are you? Maybe someone could help

Wirral between Chester and Liverpool. 

Practice I guess is my only option with the help of a new soldering iron and a 3rd hand.

of the larger size connectors i find EC5 not bad to do because the bullet is not in plastic, i drill suitable hole in a block of wood and insert bullet, do the soldering then its a case of tap it into the plastic, i am soon to put XT90 on the new Hobao, but part of me is tempted to EC5 it

13 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

i am soon to put XT90 on the new Hobao, but part of me is tempted to EC5 it

If that's the Hobao you're hoping to do some speed runs with then you'd be better off with some 8mm bullets if possible along with a dedicated battery for it running the same. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

If that's the Hobao you're hoping to do some speed runs with then you'd be better off with some 8mm bullets if possible along with a dedicated battery for it running the same. 😉

Not chasing big numbers with it, no place to do silly speeds so only hoping for a bit over the ton, if im lucky

• Like 1

Mate, I know exactly how you feel. I only got into RC at the start of the year and found myself wanting to swap a connector. Like you say, the YouTube folk make it look so easy but I made a right pig's ear of it. Ultimately, what made life loads easier for me was:

1. Wedge-shaped soldering tip instead of a pointy one

2. Proper lead solder (melts at a lower heat)

3. Flux (makes the solder behave)

4. Swapping the EC5 connectors for IC5s (they're loads easier to work with, tho much pricier)

I'm far from an expert, but the changes above have been a big help and I'm getting there.

• Like 2

I struggled soldering for ages. Several things helped. 

I got arm 6 arm helping hand.  Makes doing solder work much easier.  Can hold everything needed to solder together nice and steady. 

Prep work is an important part. Pre soldering the wires or plugs makes it much easier. 

Get some heat in to the items.  Add some solder.   

Then it's ready to join. 

Take your time with it. Don't rush it. 

Make sure you know what's being soldered to what and put the heat shrink on first. Many times I have had to redo a joint because I forgot to out it on first. 

Once a joint is cooled I redo the joint to smooth over the joint or add more solder to it to make it strong and as good as I can get it. 

If you get it to hot.  Stop for a minute let it cool down and then try again. To much heat will make it very difficult to get a good joint.

And use good quality solder and flux. Cheap stuff gives crap joints. 

Get some bits of wire or old plugs to practice on.  

Just keep trying on some junk bits.  You will get the hang of it. 

• Like 3

The biggest problem is in solder wire. Awoid buying cheap ebay stuff (i don't buy anything there as it's full of knockoffs).

With good solder there is absolutelly no need to pre-tin the wires or use additional flux...

The secret in a good solder wire is not it's metall composition in form of Sn/Pb ratio, but in the flux that is in there...

Stick with the reputable brands like Stannol or Multicore... Just not from ebay as it is probably fake... They are around 20-30€ for a 250g roll...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zlab said:

The biggest problem is in solder wire. Awoid buying cheap ebay stuff (i don't buy anything there as it's full of knockoffs).

With good solder there is absolutelly no need to pre-tin the wires or use additional flux...

The secret in a good solder wire is not it's metall composition in form of Sn/Pb ratio, but in the flux that is in there...

Stick with the reputable brands like Stannol or Multicore... Just not from ebay as it is probably fake... They are around 20-30€ for a 250g roll...

Would Amazon be ok to purchase solder from?

I was thinking I might as well add solder to my list my old soldering iron will be gently placed in the bin.

Probably yes, even though i don't order there beacuse of long delivery times, at least in my country...

I buy electronic components and supplies at Farnell, TME, Mouser. Usually TME as it is the least expensive, but i see that they seem to stock only lead-free solder...

https://si.farnell.com/w/c/tools-production-supplies/soldering-stations-accessories/solder/solder-wire?range=inc-in-stock

Here you have some on farnell, use filters (60/40 Sn//Pb, wire diameter, etc.) and watch for the stock.

Farnell is a little bit expensier, but I like them because i have next day delivery. If i order up to around 19.00 i get it delivered around 9.00 to 11.00 next day (from UK warehouse to my home in Slovenia)...

Edited by zlab
  • Like 1