• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

After lots of indecision , i have ordered the Hobao Hyper GT roller, along with paint,  figured a few good thick coats of Dulux gloss would do it, then thought better so went with original plan of Core Metallic Green 2 tins, and a tin of Core Metallic silver to both back it and maybe do a subtle fade .

As to power i figured an F540 3300kv motor okay a 4068 2650kv that is rated to 6s and a Hobbywing quickrun  WP8BL150, again rated to 6s lipo.

Not to sure about lipo long term but i do have a near new Turnigy 5000mah 4s 70C so that is a great starting point plus i can parallel a pair of 2s 5200mah 60c 

car and paint should be here midweek and i have a long weekend to hopefully get it painted, motor will be another couple of weeks before that arrives  oh and i have a 14kg MG digital servo looking for a ride, as i will need the DumboRC x6g for this once i have the car built i will move the Vantage on to a new owner, and make some room in the garage.

No idea what speed to expect but with right gearing it may nudge 80...maybe a tad more

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

After lots of indecision , i have ordered the Hobao Hyper GT roller, along with paint,  figured a few good thick coats of Dulux gloss would do it, then thought better so went with original plan of Core Metallic Green 2 tins, and a tin of Core Metallic silver to both back it and maybe do a subtle fade .

As to power i figured an F540 3300kv motor okay a 4068 2650kv that is rated to 6s and a Hobbywing quickrun  WP8BL150, again rated to 6s lipo.

Not to sure about lipo long term but i do have a near new Turnigy 5000mah 4s 70C so that is a great starting point plus i can parallel a pair of 2s 5200mah 60c 

car and paint should be here midweek and i have a long weekend to hopefully get it painted, motor will be another couple of weeks before that arrives  oh and i have a 14kg MG digital servo looking for a ride, as i will need the DumboRC x6g for this once i have the car built i will move the Vantage on to a new owner, and make some room in the garage.

No idea what speed to expect but with right gearing it may nudge 80...maybe a tad more

Congrats mate 👍 I know you’ve wanted one of these for ages 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, pieman5 said:

Nope, i'm doing a 3 wheeler though 👍

Custom dragster using old schumacher supastox parts, running 2x 2s shortys in parallel and a 4.5t Graupner motor 🙂

301929645_IMG_E11461.thumb.JPG.eb067f58c6afe1dcb52cd26a066bf411.JPG

Is that the same chassis you used for Dr, Mad Thrust the edf one? You running june, who else going?

1 hour ago, Redback said:

Is that the same chassis you used for Dr, Mad Thrust the edf one? You running june, who else going?

No its a different chassis, same kind of design though.

I'm running in june yeah as long as we are allowed with covid. Our usual group of about 12 people will be there, plus got quite a lot of interest on our facebook group so pretty confident there will be at least 15-20 of us 👍

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, pieman5 said:

No its a different chassis, same kind of design though.

I'm running in june yeah as long as we are allowed with covid. Our usual group of about 12 people will be there, plus got quite a lot of interest on our facebook group so pretty confident there will be at least 15-20 of us 👍

Oh awesome, sounds like you have found a working formula, I'll be one of the 20, if covid says its ok, running the banzai and a few others, looking forward to seeing it run, goodluck sir.

• Like 1

Hyper has landed, very fast from Modelsport, it looks awesome though its arrived with minor damage due to transport

What has happened is the Hobao box was put in an outer carton upside down, and the chassis has bounced on the inside of the shell, the rear posts have dented and creased the shell........no amount of magic paint is going to cover it, i have sent a shell back before due to this level of damage, and i will return the model if needed !

Yes i know it will end up sliding down the road on its roof at some point but it would be nice to at least start of with a shiny smart model, and if i keep it as is then i will grow to hate it, just how i am.

So gonna email MS and ask what they suggest, already regret buying it now, i have a nice long weekend coming up and had planned to get on and paint the shell and a few other jobs on it

H chassis.JPG

H GT.JPG

H shell 2.JPG

H shell.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Just paint it and run it, don't let it ruin your weekend. You probably won't even see it once it's painted.

The white marks will always show, these pics are low res so dont really show how bad it is, the lexan is damaged from the inside, so the white stress marks are on the outside, i should not have to accept damaged goods

54 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

The white marks will always show, these pics are low res so dont really show how bad it is, the lexan is damaged from the inside, so the white stress marks are on the outside, i should not have to accept damaged goods

Fair enough. I just think given the choice of putting up with a couple of small imperfections vs waiting on a replacement I know which I'd choose. I get what you're saying though, if it'll bug you then I'm sure MS will make it right.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Fair enough. I just think given the choice of putting up with a couple of small imperfections vs waiting on a replacement I know which I'd choose. I get what you're saying though, if it'll bug you then I'm sure MS will make it right.

Will see what they say, i am scheming on how to make do, like putting some stickers over the damage but again that is not part of the plan, i cant run it till motor arrives so only time lost is body prep

10 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Will see what they say, i am scheming on how to make do, like putting some stickers over the damage but again that is not part of the plan, i cant run it till motor arrives so only time lost is body prep

I could be wrong but I genuinely think you won't see it once it's painted. I trim my shells before painting and always end up with imperfections.

• Like 1

Another issue but not with Hobao, i have to solder an XT90 to the BL-150 power wires, i have 3 irons 2 are just not up to job and new 100w is a beast, it just boils the solder away, to hot, not looking forward to this job..................i think i am gonna have to just live with the damage to body shell, i may be able to put some sponsor stickers  to cover it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Shame about the shell mate but MS might send a new 1 when in stock or give you a voucher heres hoping tho :cheers:

Hmm, i think i know what the response will be.............

Just ordered yet another new soldering iron just so i can fit XT90 to esc, bought a 100w a few weeks back but it just gets way to hot!

Another little issue with body is front bumper area, it sits way low, i can see it getting smashed and cracked so if i do use shell i wonder if it would be an idea to trim some away

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Not so helpful reply on this from shop, no choice but to dump some paint on it and run it, this will be last order from them

That’s a shame mate  hopefully it looks decent when it’s painted.

Trackside have some nice body’s for £36 ish 

On a brighter note I’m off now until Tuesday so I’ll make a start on the hyper vs not that there’s much to do other than change the gearing and set it up 

• Like 1

I got it from MS the reply asked me to remove the protective film, take more pics and submit them, so they can forward images to Hobao to see what they say but its postal damage from MS, if i do as they ask it will take weeks to put right and i may end up still painting same shell but no film on it, so just gonna suck it up and deal with it