• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

8 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Time for an update.

The Hobao ran 39mph dead on sunday, i have a 22T pinion coming that will take it to 47mph, nice improvement for a fiver, also just spent out on a second Turnigy Nano-tech 2700mah 3s 65~120C lipo this will be used in series for 6s, and and should take it to 70.4, so nice speed increases for not to much cash, also i have  a40T spur on route and when i am ready this with a 28T pinion should get about 103mph, i think this will be as far as i want to try unless i find a better spot to run it.

a new pre coloured blue shell is heading my way along with GRP S7`s

That's what I like to hear! Remember the faster you go the more inaccurate the speed calculator will be. Up to around 80mph mine was accurate within 5mph. For my 90mph run today the calculator gave me an estimate of 107.31mph, and that's after adjusting to account for previous inaccuracies. Stick with it, I'm looking forward to hearing how your next run goes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Time for an update.

The Hobao ran 39mph dead on sunday, i have a 22T pinion coming that will take it to 47mph, nice improvement for a fiver, also just spent out on a second Turnigy Nano-tech 2700mah 3s 65~120C lipo this will be used in series for 6s, and and should take it to 70.4, so nice speed increases for not to much cash, also i have  a40T spur on route and when i am ready this with a 28T pinion should get about 103mph, i think this will be as far as i want to try unless i find a better spot to run it.

a new pre coloured blue shell is heading my way along with GRP S7`s

cool mate so it isnt quite the money pit you thought it was going to be :cheers:

really looking forward to hearing how it goes :good:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Any details, dates for this years ROSSA events in UK

ROSSA UK dates booked this year.
June 11th, 12th and 13th.
August 14th and 15th.
Depending on guidelines in place at the time.
Venue- Snowdonia Aerospace in Llanbedr, North Wales.
The record holding venue of the fastest official RC car in the World.
British BRCA license needs to be in place.
More detail to follow after numbers have been agreed.

You need to let them know if your planning on attending (via the facebook group) bookings will go up once they have an idea on numbers so faily soon id imagine.
Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

@Redback thanks mate, i was asking for a mate that is local to me, the guy with the Limitless, seems he is pretty keen so keep an eye out for Ross.

Its to soon for me to go, the GT is no way fast enough yet

I just welcomed someone called Ross to the group today who was asking about dates. 😉

Think he and a friend want to go. Great to have more people interested in going. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

@Redback thanks mate, i was asking for a mate that is local to me, the guy with the Limitless, seems he is pretty keen so keep an eye out for Ross.

Its to soon for me to go, the GT is no way fast enough yet

I dont think it matters how fast you go, its about the community and having fun right...
I wont be breaking any records just personal bests and thats good enough reason to go, along with it being a place safe to drive where the cars wont be driven over.
You will also learn far more in 1 day at Rossa than a year reading forums imo.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, GMballistic said:

I just welcomed someone called Ross to the group today who was asking about dates. 😉

Think he and a friend want to go. Great to have more people interested in going. 

He is a friend of mine local chap, i put him onto ROSSA, he runs a limitless and a few other cars, serpent some 1/10 and a wltoys speeder 

• Like 2

Despite talk of kidnapping me to ROSSA in June, its a no go as me and wife are on vacation, having managed to get a booking at Usha gap, but the August might be a possibility and even more if we are able to camp over night, not sure thats possible though and what is the BRC permit licence thing

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Despite talk of kidnapping me to ROSSA in June, its a no go as me and wife are on vacation, having managed to get a booking at Usha gap, but the August might be a possibility and even more if we are able to camp over night, not sure thats possible though and what is the BRC permit licence thing

Haha aww well 🤣
You need one of these to run either way... BRCA
https://www.brca.org/join

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Redback said:

I dont think it matters how fast you go, its about the community and having fun right...
I wont be breaking any records just personal bests and thats good enough reason to go, along with it being a place safe to drive where the cars wont be driven over.
You will also learn far more in 1 day at Rossa than a year reading forums imo.

Exactly right on all counts and well said. :good:

4 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

We usually camp at Shell Island which is lovely.
Last year it was closed so we all camped at the airfield itself which was fine too although it didn't have all the great facilities that a proper camp site like Shell Island offers, ...still I really enjoyed cooking on my portable gas hob and chatting with a good friend over a drink. 

Just googled it, another licence,  need insurance and a flyers ID plus plane ID`s to fly now need another licence, still, i am on the verge of stopping flying so one set of licence less

Yes you do need a BRCA licence but for £20 per year tbh I think that it is worthwhile having for any RC user as it offers membership insurance that covers not only club racing and events but also "park bashing".  

Have you seen my videos of ROSSA btw?
Just to give you an idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Redback said:

Cheers @GMballistic out of interest, how many passes do you get to do? Can you only run through the traps? Is it always that windy 🥶

Passes/runs providing you are courteous of others you can run whenever you like as many times as you like. 

There is plenty of space so you can walk away a little for testing, getting it running straight etc so you don't need to run it through the traps no but you do need to be mindful of others who may be doing a pass, walking about etc. Basically just use common sense. 

It's most definitely not always that windy. :lol: 

Fingers crossed for a few dry days is all I hope for, ...can run in the wind albeit a little more difficult, ...it's rain or snow that'll put an end to play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Redback said:

Cheers @GMballistic out of interest, how many passes do you get to do? Can you only run through the traps? Is it always that windy 🥶

Get as many runs as you want/can fit in. We tend to run from around 8-9am to about 6-7pm and there is pretty much no time when no-one is running. 

As a whole, id say we don't mind people doing a bit of slow testing down the side while others are running, but if you are looking at reaching any sort of serious speeds then you'll need to be setup on the runway to do a proper trap run where everyone is aware someone is going and can be wary incase the car runs out of control. Also doing a proper run tends you mean you'll get at least one person filming it and including the speed.

Afraid to say it is always windy there. Its extremely open and flat so nothing to deflect it. The wind in that video is pretty typical of a normal day. Could get a lucky day and find its died down a bit, or could get unlucky and have stronger winds, even worse when its crosswinds. Overall though on a typical day the wind is fairly manageable and doesn't really have any serious effect on anything. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just back from speed run sunday, very disappointed with the Hyper GT, could not get grip, only managed 34mph on 4s, then a wheel came of, guess i should of threadlocked the wheel nuts, but feeling very un happy with it to a point i may move it on while there is no damage, cause of wheel coming of i did not try it 6s, but would not of got a good speed with it, did a lot better with Vantage just sorting video and will update Vantage thread in a bit

• Sad 1

Just back from speed run sunday, very disappointed with the Hyper GT, could not get grip, only managed 34mph on 4s, then a wheel came of, guess i should of threadlocked the wheel nuts, but feeling very un happy with it to a point i may move it on while there is no damage, cause of wheel coming of i did not try it 6s, but would not of got a good speed with it, did a lot better with Vantage just sorting video and will update Vantage thread in a bit

I’m actually thinking along the same lines I’m either selling the VSe as a roller or returning it back to a basher.

Going to concentrate on the 1/10 Wltoys when it arrives .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, tomr said:

I’m actually thinking along the same lines I’m either selling the VSe as a roller or returning it back to a basher.

Going to concentrate on the 1/10 Wltoys when it arrives .

Mate i think that makes a lot of sense, i am really feeling the Hobao is jinxed for me, christ on a bike it got run over on 1st run, im thinking move it on while its mint condition and stick with 1/10

• Haha 1

Just now, Jack Reacher said:

Mate i think that makes a lot of sense, i am really feeling the Hobao is jinxed for me, christ on a bike it got run over on 1st run, im thinking move it on while its mint condition and stick with 1/10

I killed a 6s pack this morning 😮

• Sad 1

Just now, Jack Reacher said:

as in.......smashed/damaged or ran it to nowt, if later sometimes you can pull them back with a bit if NI-MH charging

It puffed out of the case must of been drawing way more than it could handle .

I was testing 36/29 gearing .

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

FUBAR then mate, sounds like a case of "dispose safely"....i will leave the method to your choice

It’s still at the car park at the min I had the dogs with me this morning so didn’t want it in the car with us .

Im going to pick up shortly 

• Like 1