• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

@Jack Reacher - have you considered getting a single 6S lipo? It should be cheaper than buying two 3S lipos. I think I paid around £44 for my Turnigy HD 4000mah 6S. 

I've set my ESC up with two connectors, but have a shorted XT90 connector to act as a bridge to run it on a single battery. 

That way I don't have two batteries tied up to the Hyper 7, depending on how careful and what your view point is, some would say when using two batteries in series, they're only to be used for that one use case to ensure cells aren't degrading faster than others (if you were to use one of the 3S lipos for another model for example). I'm not saying 2 X 3S isn't a good idea or you'll run into troubles, just something to think about 🙂

• Like 1

Good argument but if i buy a single 6s lipo its a one trick pony, lets say i demolish the car in first few runs im then left with a suspect lipo thats no use to me. I am getting very tempted to put the Hobao in the classifieds and just forget this lark

6 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Good argument but if i buy a single 6s lipo its a one trick pony, lets say i demolish the car in first few runs im then left with a suspect lipo thats no use to me. I am getting very tempted to put the Hobao in the classifieds and just forget this lark

oh god not again, just stick with what you have, you got enough to make it work, worry about 6s singles and that if you plan to get more serious and make the mods needed to fit those packs in.
no 1 rule
Keep calm, drive rc cars-boats-planes&trains, have fun!

Edited by Redback
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Car ran fine, maxed it out at 39 dead then a car driver ran it over so that was short lived

Really!?? 

I would say any damage but I am guessing it's FUBAR with a 1 ton+ vehicle running over it or did you get lucky? 

Sorry to hear this Jack. 

• Like 1

I did a few pass`es and the car was locked in, it ran straight and true, i had all but called it a day, decided to run it about a little to use lipo up, had it pulled in pretty tight to my full size car, but this twonk came of the entrance i was pulled up in lots of room but he pulled a tight left and went over it, i do think it was sort of deliberate as he had shed loads of room, i could of got an Artic wagon out from there, he did not stop. I should be mad but i guess we should not be running on public road so not a leg to stand on grr.

Lucky the damage is less than expected 2 wheels crushed and body cracked in 3 -4 places, so needs new wheels and new shell, i am gluing some milk carton plastic patches in for now

I also had a run with the Vantage, good run but turned it at end and it splashed a puddle i did not see, bye bye ESC it was pouring smoke, so im out of the speed running

cracks.JPG

bust wheels.JPG

crack.JPG

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I did a few pass`es and the car was locked in, it ran straight and true, i had all but called it a day, decided to run it about a little to use lipo up, had it pulled in pretty tight to my full size car, but this twonk came of the entrance i was pulled up in lots of room but he pulled a tight left and went over it, i do think it was sort of deliberate as he had shed loads of room, i could of got an Artic wagon out from there, he did not stop. I should be mad but i guess we should not be running on public road so not a leg to stand on grr.

Lucky the damage is less than expected 2 wheels crushed and body cracked in 3 -4 places, so needs new wheels and new shell, i am gluing some milk carton plastic patches in for now

I also had a run with the Vantage, good run but turned it at end and it splashed a puddle i did not see, bye bye ESC it was pouring smoke, so im out of the speed running

cracks.JPG

bust wheels.JPG

crack.JPG

What esc were you running in the Vantage? Pretty poor if it's not even splash proof 😡 Sounds like you had a pretty rubbish day 😢

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

What esc were you running in the Vantage? Pretty poor if it's not even splash proof 😡 Sounds like you had a pretty rubbish day 😢

Yeah had better days, TBH i dont really think the Hobao shell will fix, and shops out of stock, will likely get the pre painted blue shell once back in.

Vantage ESC was a cheap surpass job,  but there is a bit of a silver lining as its now got the Hobbywing 120amp that i thought i had knackered, all working and programmed up, now have the option of 4s

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Yeah had better days, TBH i dont really think the Hobao shell will fix, and shops out of stock, will likely get the pre painted blue shell once back in.

Vantage ESC was a cheap surpass job,  but there is a bit of a silver lining as its now got the Hobbywing 120amp that i thought i had knackered, all working and programmed up, now have the option of 4s

Every cloud and all that, lol. Have you looked into alternative aftermarket shells for the Hobao?

55 minutes ago, tomr said:

WoW! That’s some bad luck mate , pleased it didn’t suffer too much damage. Have you given it a good look over ? No shock tower or diff case damage ? 

It all looks fine, i have taken wheels of and run it up all the shafts look to spin true, cant see any damage to arms or towers or anything, this could of been so much worse

• Like 2

Sorry some inconsiderate selfish person did that to your car. 

The wheels I would replace with GRP's as they're perfect for speed runs and very reasonably priced for what they are. I pay £18.50 a pair from the LHS I use called Trackside Spares. 
Link: https://www.tracksidespares.co.uk/?product_cat=&post_type=product&s=grp

The bodyshell you could reinforce with Shoe glue/E6000 adhesive or similar and scrim tape possibly. Never going to look perfect but might make it more useable. 

4 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

The bodyshell you could reinforce with Shoe glue/E6000 adhesive or similar and scrim tape possibly. Never going to look perfect but might make it more useable. 

I wish you had time to enjoy the car before someone wrecked it. Least you now have an oppertunity to just drive the car and not worry about speeds, get used to it and then push it to 60 and beyond. You will never get 100 out the box day 1.

I use fiberglass tape used to re inforce foam wings on model planes, Works much better than any other body repair tape ive used. 7£ a roll but worth it. You probably have some lying around.

13 minutes ago, Redback said:

I use fiberglass tape used to re inforce foam wings on model planes, Works much better than any other body repair tape ive used. 7£ a roll but worth it. You probably have some lying around.

Same stuff I meant I think ~ scrim tape and fibre glass tape AKA plasterers tape. 

Like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-fibreglass-mesh-tape-white-90m-x-50mm/626CF?tc=HA6&ds_kid=92700058168037082&ds_rl=1249416&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImJyXwcv27wIVlO7tCh28HwYPEAQYASABEgI03vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've fibre glassed a shell as well before which was a nightmare (scrim tape & glue much easier), ....incredibly strong afterwards but also very heavy and such a ballache to do. Never again,  :lol:  ...well not a full shell anyway. 

25.thumb.jpg.6861b73c80cef34f164f396559a79a9e.jpg

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

The wheels I would replace with GRP's as they're perfect for speed runs and very reasonably priced for what they are. I pay £18.50 a pair from the LHS I use called Trackside Spares. 
Link: https://www.tracksidespares.co.uk/?product_cat=&post_type=product&s=grp

funny enough tomr  put a set of GRP`s up for sale other day and i snapped them up, also he has found a new painted blue shell so i think i will go for it, i would like to think this was a freak accident done by a freak driver, so a big thanks @tomr for the grp`s and finding shell.

On a positive note (unusual for me) the car drives well, i felt 100% in control all the time..........other than watching noddy drive over it and then make a swift exit, that was 100% out of my control

and guys, thanks for all the positive comments on this, in the video did any one notice Ross`es 1/8th blue white serpent

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Similar but i dont want to have to use extra glue or bonding agent mess, so ive been using this. https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/91685/

• Like 1

Time for an update.

The Hobao ran 39mph dead on sunday, i have a 22T pinion coming that will take it to 47mph, nice improvement for a fiver, also just spent out on a second Turnigy Nano-tech 2700mah 3s 65~120C lipo this will be used in series for 6s, and and should take it to 70.4, so nice speed increases for not to much cash, also i have  a40T spur on route and when i am ready this with a 28T pinion should get about 103mph, i think this will be as far as i want to try unless i find a better spot to run it.

a new pre coloured blue shell is heading my way along with GRP S7`s

• Like 3