• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

I have to say if you're into doing different stuff with the same RC its hard to beat the 2wd traxxas platform. Parts and upgrades are so affordable I don't mind cutting and chopping bits up. So many parts in the traxxas family fit. 

A drag style wheelie bar is probably next on the agenda and some kind of front wing or splitter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Well I went and ordered some batteries with a higher discharge... much higher! I justified it by telling myself I can use them in the Hyper too 😁 More Poweeeeerr!!!!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-rapid-5500mah-4s2p-140c-hardcase-lipo-battery-pack-w-xt60-connector-roar-approved.html

I've got some of them for my RC8B3 and the rustler above, they've been excellent. Black XT90s are also 3mph faster than the yellow ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

how are black faster, being rated at 90amp, is it a diffrent brand, thicker/ diffrent alloy connectors

9 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

I've got some of them for my RC8B3 and the rustler above, they've been excellent. Black XT90s are also 3mph faster than the yellow ones.

Just now, Redback said:

how are black faster, being rated at 90amp, is it a diffrent brand, thicker/ diffrent alloy connectors

Sorry that was an attempt at a joke. They're exactly the same just I think black looks better.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

If only they came in red. That's the fastest colour!

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, lorrylemming said:

Sorry that was an attempt at a joke. They're exactly the same just I think black looks better.

I was thinking you was on about the antispark versions that are higher rated than xt90 that would make sense, heres mr srs being all litteral, good pun bud i like it.

16 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

If only they came in red. That's the fastest colour!

Will paint mine red, should get 4mph more due to matching color scheme then, brilliant thanks lads, and the extra 1g of weight from the paint will help plant that extra horse power!

• Haha 2

I think tyre ballooning might be an issue...

These are Schumacher Road & Track in 'B30' compound with a hard insert. 

So theoretical gearing for my DT03 is 70-80mph with a wheel diameter of 78mm (as the tyres rest) but they balloon at least 25mm top and bottom so this diameter increases from 78mm to 128mm, possibly more when rolling which sends the gearing sky high, around 130-140mph. 

The motor also seems to not always reach full rpm, it's like 2 stages. 80% and then after a few seconds it goes at 100%. This is with full throttle, I'm not feathering the throttle at all. It also seems slow down by a bit and then kick back upto max rpm. Not sure if it's a motor or ESC issue. The motor is second hand and I've had throttle pulsing on and off all the time with this motor. Would there be enough load on the motor when the wheels are off the ground but rotating to make the motor struggle to maintain full rpm?

Anyway, ordered some rear foams that are 75mm diameter so that will solve the ballooning. 

I am having issues with my fastrax arrow 2.2 road tyres ballooning on 3s to a point i am not sure they will take the planned 4s later on, with your motor stuttering at speed could it be the lipo C rating is it high enough to give the power

Foams will be the way to get real judge on speed for 1/8th tires or belted rubber. However tire balloning will give you an advantage on top end speed. So whatever works 😄

Thought id join the 2wd gang, going to run it stock for a bit then make it fast, going for 70mph+. Give the banzai something to race against i thought...
IMG_20210326_193206.thumb.jpg.8d5f6378c1f80e33cb97fef0089c2dbc.jpg

Didnt realize how big 1/10 scale sct were vs 1/10 scale touring cars, for some reason i though it would be about the same size 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

Sadly i think i will not go for the Hobao, seems spare parts are near non existent for the road models, MS have nothing in stock in spares, most items on WS are shadow stock so again next to nothing in store, i really dont want to buy a model that ends up out of action for months waiting on hard to get parts

22 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Sadly i think i will not go for the Hobao, seems spare parts are near non existent for the road models, MS have nothing in stock in spares, most items on WS are shadow stock so again next to nothing in store, i really dont want to buy a model that ends up out of action for months waiting on hard to get parts

If you manage to break a hobao you should get a prize, spares seem ok, what was you worrying about sourcing, most the parts are from the buggies and fit.

2 minutes ago, Redback said:

If you manage to break a hobao you should get a prize, spares seem ok, what was you worrying about sourcing, most the parts are from the buggies and fit.

no parts are listed or just about no parts for the road cars, you may be right about using buggy parts but for me that is an unknown thing, also gearing,  hyper sse is quoted as being 32DP yet i thought they were mod01

Me 

1 minute ago, Jack Reacher said:

so who is out for a speed run today? im still planning on a run 3 packs charged, just need to get some shopping, take wife for rabies  covid shot

I’ve just got back from a successful speed run 👍 Was planning to go again with higher gear set up but it’s raining now 

Good luck with yours bud 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomr said:

Me 

I’ve just got back from a successful speed run 👍 Was planning to go again with higher gear set up but it’s raining now 

Good luck with yours bud 

cheers dude, we had the rain/sleet/hail this morning but its clearing, forcast is dry now so roads should be dry this afternoon

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

so who is out for a speed run today? im still planning on a run 3 packs charged, just need to get some shopping, take wife for rabies  covid shot

My lipos are due in today so I'll be heading out first thing tomorrow morning 😁

• Like 2