• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

Question:

WHERE (in the northwest) DO YOU DO YOUR SPEED RUNS?
I’ve been looking for somewhere local (I live in Rossendale) but have struggled to find anywhere a)flat enough, b)long and wide enough and c) with NO PEOPLE getting in the way..

SO, if you live in or near the northwest (I don’t mind driving a bit) and you know of a good spot, let me know please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Freddy said:

Question:

WHERE (in the northwest) DO YOU DO YOUR SPEED RUNS?
I’ve been looking for somewhere local (I live in Rossendale) but have struggled to find anywhere a)flat enough, b)long and wide enough and c) with NO PEOPLE getting in the way..

SO, if you live in or near the northwest (I don’t mind driving a bit) and you know of a good spot, let me know please.

Seems to be everyone’s problem. I’m struggling to find anywhere too. I’m also not near the serious end, not the time/space/resources for it at the moment.

for the speeds you’re looking at, I’d like to think either an industrial estate or supermarket car park would suit?

good luck in the search and also breaking your record.

• Like 1

@Fat Freddy as long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters. 

As Ant above said for those sort of speeds just a good car park or Industrial Estate road would suit you I'm sure. It is difficult finding good areas to run at speed but satisfying when you get faster and faster, ....breaking your own PB's and having fun is what it's about. :good:  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat Freddy said:

Btw, I’m not as serious as you guys, not even close. 
I have an FTX Vantage which I put a  4000kv/60A brushless combo in, only running 2s though, but planning to get a 3s sometime soon.
DBD6CA1B-20DA-42D7-A64C-B900DEB1BF71.thumb.jpeg.954477ebdad9f3bdbace2dc3d213e11e.jpegCB0FA997-A669-4D81-853A-C2BD80CEF938.thumb.jpeg.f6d0f925cc2642dc1de21c5079b6346f.jpeg
Only got to 38.8MPH before flipping it on a bump and smashing the shell to bits.

I also have a Tamiya TT02 that I haven’t really used. Compared the weights and the FTX weighs over 700g more.

So have now fitted the brushless combo into that….. still on 2s.

So don’t expect to break any records but am curious to see how fast it’ll go.

Not bad start on the Vantage, I kinda want one now to see if i could get it to 100. I got about 38 from my FTX Banzai (same chassis and drive train) with brushless and stock gearing.
They have so much potential, I'm hoping for 120mph this year!
My custom Banzia now comes it at over 3kg weight is your friend, if you have the power to push it.
As for the flipping i had the same issue, so next up is a custom splitter to pull the front down, along with a big brass lock body for some extra weight to stop it lifting.
Get some footage next time! 😄

The tamiya should also go well, theres some really rapid ones out there seems like a solid platform!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Oh and @Ant.p I left a laughing emoji for your video not because it was rubbish or anything but cause the end made me laugh.... "through the legs" :lol:

Yeah, it came in a bit hot, had to jump out the way to save myself. Room for improvement on the control and driving skills for sure!

• Like 1

Its a goal! Epic run mate and grats on the new PB, great results!
Seems like you managed to max it and bring it back safely, but as GM said its that you have fun that really counts!
Hope you manage to make a speed event this year so you can really open the taps again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Thank you! I’d like to get to Rossa, and not ruling it out, but I can’t be sure it will happen for me. Besides, I’m doing this more for a bit of fun between @Bert_w164 and myself only to prove his losi can’t compete with the VSe (so long as corners aren’t involved) 😜

I didn’t actually manage to get full throttle, I just didn’t have the bottle on this run. Perhaps when it’s completely dry I’ll pluck up the courage.

I know now that all the speed run videos I’ve seen don’t do the cars and speed justice. It’s intimidating enough at 80mph. Was definitely a bit of a buzz seeing it shift like it did.

Yeah yeah...Losi is by my side, time to pull my finger out 😁

That's awesome and I feel you'll break triple digits soon enough 👍🏽

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh also ROSSA dates are out for booking.

17 JUN AT 07:00 – 19 JUN AT 17:00
ROSSA Speed Championship - Rd1 (Llanbedr 2022)
Llanbedr Airfield

ROSSA : Radio Operated Scale Speed Association proudly presents our 1st UK event in 2022. ( 3 Day Event Fri-Sun)
The World Speed Championship will be held at Snowdonia Aerospace, Llanbedr Airfield, Wales LL45 2PX. (Please use this for Sat Nav's)
This is the holy grail for all RC speed runners in the UK, providing the largest smoothest tarmac we can find.

Test your machines to the limit in a safe controlled environment.
Accurate recording of MPH results to GWR standards.

12 AUG AT 07:00 – 14 AUG AT 17:00
ROSSA Speed Championship - Rd2 (Llanbedr 2022)
Llanbedr Airfield

ROSSA : Radio Operated Scale Speed Association proudly presents our 2nd UK event in 2022. ( 3 Day Event Fri-Sun)
The World Speed Championship will be held at Snowdonia Aerospace, Llanbedr Airfield, Wales LL45 2PX.
If you missed our first event? ...now is the time to act!
The summer holidays we all have been waiting for ... "Speed & Sun"
This is the holy grail for all RC speed runners providing the longest, smoothest tarmac in the UK
Test yourself & RC to the limit, in a safe controlled environment.
World Records have been set here !!!!

• Like 2

I also wouldnt have made it if it wasnt for Mr Pie, but id like to tune before June and ensure its not a wasted trip with so many changes to the banzai and hyper 7, april with the traps i forgot about as wasnt listed and i rushed into this months event as the stars alighened and it worked out nicely.
Id much rather run traps so have pre booked shell island for june 😉
Ran the banzai on tuesday, wont setoff without a foot to help it, geared to the mooon and needs some nice throttle work to really crank up the speed, 10% throttle gets 40mph 😬

Prices are up for ROSSA this year, bit more expensive but an extra day of running this year too! so well worth the visit either way and pays to help keep this event going!

Sadly its only via facebook atm but if you have issues / dont use facebook there's ROSSA admins like @GMballistic on here to help shoot him a DM.

Group Link
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313/about

ROSSA UK SPEED EVENT ROUND 1
17th - 19th June 2022.

Its about that time again to meet up and smash them P.B's. It looks like there will be plenty attending Junes event with some crazy speed machines!
I will start taking payments for this event on this upcoming Friday (18/03/22) via paypal.

Event Entry Fees -

1 day £60, 2 days £100, 3 days £120

Also payable is a £25 refundable security deposit, held by the venue and returned after the event.
(we still hold some deposits for racers from the last event, if we have your deposit, you wont need to be paid again

Spectators £15 for the full 3 days.

Under 16's free entry when accompanied by a paying adult.

As usual a BRCA license will needed if you don't already have one that covers this year.
please check out the PDF link below, information and links to shell island and ROSSA class definitions.

unknown.png

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...