• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

So the ESC capacitors, I can touch them all day long now, just barely warm to the touch, pre cap-pack they were HOT HOT HOT. Given they've been subjected to that level of heat now, its also why I've taken the conscious decision to not sell the XR8 Plus into the wild as when I say they got hot, I really mean it. I was probably 15-20c off their max temp, madness. 

Spider guy, define speed running for realz homie, at the cost of a few quids it's the difference if baking a £140 ESC and not, at least in my stubborn sensored world 😂

IMG_20211113_152146.thumb.jpg.96bd7473cf64af97bfcc92c3dd396b6c.jpg

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 2

Thats a beafy pack, nice job.
Speaking of big, ground down the motor fins on the big motor, got pinion to mesh, so a little test on 4s, didnt even get past 30% throttle.

Also took out the modified banzai. works ok but has issues, popped a bearing, steering is all overthe place, wobbly wheels from when it took off to the moon.
Looking forward to next ROSSA the cars are now way over specced and its down to them holding onto the road.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Speaking of Rossa, might have to make an attendance next year...what do you think about that, huh @Ant.p

A proper place to run and make our results official...or you gonna wuss out and claim it's Gemma Collins Bday during then and or you have some other TOWIE commitment to see to?

My 2c Its well worth the journey, I've only ever managed to run for a day and that's just enough time, i hope i can stay for both days next time. I'll dm you some details so you can prepare, when i say serious speed running i mean attending speed run events that allow you to max your car for real! 1 mile of runway 175+mph cars well worth it just for the spectacle, sadly im usually to busy tinkering to watch others smash their records, gotta take time to chill and enjoy the event not just beat your last PB.

• Like 1

Just now, Redback said:

My 2c Its well worth the journey, I've only ever managed to run for a day and that's just enough time, i hope i can stay for both days next time. I'll dm you some details so you can prepare, when i say serious speed running i mean attending speed run events that allow you to max your car for real! 1 mile of runway 175+mph cars well worth it just for the spectacle, sadly im usually to busy tinkering to watch others smash their records, gotta take time to chill and enjoy the event not just beat your last PB.

You would say that, look at your build compared to mine pooping itself with a 25T pinion. In all seriousness I spent a lot of time at Santa Pod younger, love watching drag racing, I guess this isn't much different in the sense of its all about going as fast as you can in a fixed distance etc. Couldn't make it the gone year due to having a baby, it was hard on my body and mentally exhausting, but now as said baby has evolved into toddler-mon it should be more managable. 

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

Speaking of Rossa, might have to make an attendance next year...what do you think about that, huh @Ant.p

A proper place to run and make our results official...or you gonna wuss out and claim it's Gemma Collins Bday during then and or you have some other TOWIE commitment to see to?

Although I hear that @RedbackSpider Guy is getting pretty serious about this, we may end up very embarrased when a lipo falls out of mine and your pinion falls off because you used Prick Stick glue. 

Yeah, I’d be well up for it. I may live in Essex, but that’s where any similarities end with the likes of TOWIE etc. Suffolk boy, I am!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

So when is Rossa @Redback?

I don't mind getting beaten by Tamiya-san, but I'd be upset if someone beat me with FTX.

Edit: also assuming different scales are free to run? E.g. 10/14/16 etc?

Yes you can run any scale, any battery etc. There are different categories for recording what your speed results fall into but that's it. 

First thing is for these events you will need to join the BRCA (British Radio Car Association). It's for insurance purposes at the events. It's only £20 per annum though for your racing licence and no tests or anything you just have to buy it.
Link: https://www.brca.org/join

The ROSSA events held at Snowdonia Aerospace Centre, Llanbedr are the main ROSSA UK events. They are held usually in June and August ~ one being a two day event and the other a three day event. They're held over a weekend so the three day event will obviously include either a Friday or Monday.
The event price depends on numbers attending, insurance cost, venue hire etc. It has been as low as £60 for a 3 day event but also as high as £110+ for the 3 day event. This year the pricing also gave the option for attending a day, two days or all three days. Just keep an eye on the ROSSA Facebook group for updates on pricing etc closer to the time as well as info on how to book etc OR we'll try to get stuff posted here if you're not on Facebook.
ROSSA Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313

The speeds through the traps are recorded on the day and then shared later on the Facebook group and also on the official ROSSA website. The website is having a revamp at the moment though so it is down.
Link here: https://rossa.org.uk/?fbclid=IwAR0xzzhJ_-rUqgAl_lkcRGzq2ZvJunrUsN7B4hWVvqDve0j14s8h33fzK80

The events usually start really early as being on an active airfield we are all expected to meet early so that we can cross the "in-use" runway as a group and set up early to make the most of the daylight. Saying that though this year there were several times arranged for crossing the runway which was 7am, 9am and 12pm I believe. It was a 7am start each day last event and they generally ran till between 6 & 8pm. It's an incredible experience with great like minded people.

The majority of us camp at Shell Island as it's very cheap and only a very, very short drive to the airfield in the morning. 
Link here: https://www.shellisland.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR33qQPmqyUesHnXT3u0JdjL2d0aX9u7jXg5t27MOgTKoJEaeubgBhj3w1w

Obviously there are lots of other options for overnight stays like other camping venues, B&B's, hotels etc etc locally so that would be up to you.

Also worth mentioning another speed event that occurred for the first time this year which was arranged by the owner of Scorched RC parts. It's a new speed run event called "Darley Frenzy".
Those events should be starting earlier in the year, ...maybe March/April 2022 time and are cheaper to attend. The price is cheaper because it's only a single day event or possibly two and they are using a race circuit straight rather than an airfield, so cheaper to hire but they do not have as much free space to run. It's still a very new event.
They didn't have the ROSSA speed traps though last time so attendees relied on their own GPS units which meant any recorded speeds were not officially recognised by ROSSA (Or GWR).

Hopefully though that will be different next year with the official traps there at the event for officially recorded speeds. I think a lot that attended from the ROSSA group used it as a testing/set up base or just for fun.
Keep an eye on the "RC Speed Run Frenzy UK" Facebook group page for updates on those events if that's of interest.
Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/367015794441099

Hope that helps for anyone interested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Blimey, thanks Gareth for taking the time to write such a well detailed and informative post. Looking at the FB page and the past dates of June and August, I guess that's a rough indication that it'll be mid year which is plenty time to fine tune and get our builds right 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Redback thought I should move over to this thread.  You asked about speed target. I would be super happy if I was to get into 3 figures on 6s. If/when I fail, I may well look at 8s options.

I currently have a basic Hobbywing EZRUN 4274 2200kv. Not sure there would be much benefit in running a sensored for speed runs?

im currently running 46t spur and 30t pinion. If I find the motor etc has more to give, I’m going to try a 40t spur and slightly reduce the pinion.

@Bert_w164 has lent me a Castle 1515 2200kv motor to try out. It’s a better motor than the Hobbywing, but has same KV rating so not sure top speed will be effected. Will be an interesting experiment all the same!

54 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

@Redback thought I should move over to this thread.  You asked about speed target. I would be super happy if I was to get into 3 figures on 6s. If/when I fail, I may well look at 8s options.

I currently have a basic Hobbywing EZRUN 4274 2200kv. Not sure there would be much benefit in running a sensored for speed runs?

im currently running 46t spur and 30t pinion. If I find the motor etc has more to give, I’m going to try a 40t spur and slightly reduce the pinion.

@Bert_w164 has lent me a Castle 1515 2200kv motor to try out. It’s a better motor than the Hobbywing, but has same KV rating so not sure top speed will be effected. Will be an interesting experiment all the same!

If you drop teeth on the spur, why not increase it on the pinion, dropping teeth on both will have the same effect, less top end. Sensored works well for low rpm afaik, most speed runners dont run sensored motors.
I ran full sensored on my 2s motor as wanted to make use of the timing and boosts, but on opening the hobbywing motor, i noticed half the motor isnt even rotor, castle have more motor rotor thus more torque.

47 minutes ago, Redback said:

If you drop teeth on the spur, why not increase it on the pinion

I’m concerned I may be nearing the motors limits already, so dropping another 6 teeth on the spur is quite a lot when there might not be much more to give. I may well try it on the 30t pinion first, but imagine the motor won’t have what it takes to max out rpm so might need to drop a couple on the pinion to fine tune? Hopefully I’m wrong, and it will breeze into the 100’s!

Failing that, it’s an interesting point you have re the torque on the motors. What the Hobbywing can’t, the Castle more likely can!

Tbh I can't vouch for its a better motor than the hobbywing, however given what Redback has said and generally the weight behind the Castle it certainly feels heavier than any of my other motors...surpass rocket coming the closest or weighting the same. 

I've not had a chance to run my setup properly with the Reds motor, however it's concerning my the Reds motor is lighter and possibly has a shorter shaft...only one way to tell what the performance is like and that's to test it...

• 2 weeks later...

It's great @Ant.p to see you enjoying your speed runs and progressing. 

I wouldn't worry about the gains you're making as a new PB is a new PB even if only by a mph or two or whatever. Take the win. 😀 :cheers: 

Congrats.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Received a 40t spur in the post today. Just finished putting it in the VSe. Really pleased, as when I put the 30t pinion in it pushed the motor so far from the spur I only had one fixing point available to lock the motor mount in place. Now the spur has reduced both screw holes are accessible again so the motor has less chance of moving out of place.

Also stuck a set grp S5’s on it. These have slightly smaller diameter than the katars that were on it, but the final drive will still be greater with the smaller spur out weighing the loss from the wheels. Will see how I get on. 

I know the buggy need a good clean 😉

please bring some sunshine next weekend… 🤞🏻

93EE78E2-7FB7-4816-8470-2AB8CD2AF7C3.jpeg

C33E20F4-D57F-4360-A756-62581FCD27E4.jpeg

181ADE9E-ADF3-4CC4-BD76-712FAC44425E.jpeg

D21360CF-95FB-4AC1-960E-A8328E20AC9B.jpeg

Edited by Ant.p
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Getting more serious now @Ant.p :lol: :good:.

Yep, time to start taking spare pants out with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2