• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

1 minute ago, Luvell RC said:

Of course they operate from 5-9v so I usually run it from a spare rx channel or can be powered by usb power banks or any 2s lipo I’ve had 6hrs from a 500mah small 2s with sd logging so a standalone gps for max speed info would last a lot longer there’s options with the gps modules that makes the difference in terms of refresh rates and acquisition times cheapest standalone units will come in around £30 posted 

I’m still evolving units almost every build so it’s still in development I’m working on displaying the input voltage on the display as well next 

24 minutes ago, Luvell RC said:

Of course they operate from 5-9v so I usually run it from a spare rx channel or can be powered by usb power banks or any 2s lipo I’ve had 6hrs from a 500mah small 2s with sd logging so a standalone gps for max speed info would last a lot longer there’s options with the gps modules that makes the difference in terms of refresh rates and acquisition times cheapest standalone units will come in around £30 posted 

Now this is something I'd be interested in, the skyrc ones are too over priced for me an the speedflea look like they need a 2s balance port kinda connection, but if I can run one of urs off the receiver unit that would be awesome, could run in both my trucks an all of my brother in law's rcs without havin to worry about powering it. Would be lookin to purchase at the end of the month maybe a bit sooner depending if I get paid sooner 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Madmoz7610 said:

I can get faster speeds on grass and gravel compared to tarmac, wheels jus spin and lose grip so easy lol but I am usin off road tires so kinda get why

If your loosing grip your pulling to hard, the art of speed runs is managing the trigger pull and power delivery. If your not setup for road running you wont go fast on them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Jack Reacher said:

I see Raz has upped his game....192MPH

Yep, somebody who actually has a shot of breaking the world record. I do enjoy Mr Talbot's content, but he doesn't have a hope in hell of hitting 200mph+ (I'd be happy to be proved wrong!)

• Like 2

Just now, everclear1984 said:

Yep, somebody who actually has a shot of breaking the world record. I do enjoy Mr Talbot's content, but he doesn't have a hope in hell of hitting 200mph+ (I'd be happy to be proved wrong!)

I have been saying for ages that Raz is gonna take the record, he is consistent and has the road and resources, at 192 he is now so close to doing it a few tweaks couple of changes and bang job done, though i do appreciate getting the last few mph can be tricky 

Dunno about that and I dont think he will get 200+ any time soon, the record has been inplace for so long because how hard it is to get 1mph more, the amount of power to get an extra 8mph at those speeds is more than what the car / motor / esc / batt can produce. Good luck to him tho.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

I do agree with @Redback but for the first time the World Record is definitely within sight for some, ...Raz, James McCoy, Peter Dirks. 

James and Peter are both literally 6-7mph off it at the moment I think. So impressive especially with cars bought off a shelf (albeit heavily modified now).  :good:

• Like 1

@GMballistic thanks for the link to this thread. I’m by no means taking this seriously (yet) but could be handy to get some tips at some point if I get stuck. For now, it’s just a friendly challenge between my VSe and @Bert_w164’s losi 4.0 to see what they can do.

My tyres are kind of belted with fishing wire. So far they’ve held up really well with no signs of ballooning. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Out of curiosity, how are you guys securing your gps to the cars? I used a Velcro strap on my skyrc GSM-015 unsuccessfully. Fortunately I found it, but it has a few war wounds and no battery cover anymore. This happened on its second use from new 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Oh shizzle, it just got real as you made that post. 😬 Can I tow mine with my 1:1? 

P.s. legend has it using FTX carnage electronics of WLtoys 1265692845 electronics nets the best results. 

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Out of curiosity, how are you guys securing your gps to the cars? I used a Velcro strap on my skyrc GSM-015 unsuccessfully. Fortunately I found it, but it has a few war wounds and no battery cover anymore. This happened on its second use from new 🤦🏼‍♂️

Same happened to mine, i now have to run an external battery as the damage killed the stock battery, you can also power it from bec 6v i found, battery used the same port and is 1s.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/262090/

Might also suffice.

IMAG1653.thumb.jpg.8dd123219dfc5a390a20c3c14e5426a6.jpg

I secure it now with velcro and zipties.

Talking of speed runs, made a few changes to the Hyper 7. Put the big block motor from the limitless in, had to drill out the mount and 34t pinion wont mesh, need to move to 38t or grind some of the motor fins down.
IMAG1654.thumb.jpg.067d4072797aa59f7ebe65f6143b74d9.jpg

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

I'm trying a 25T pinion again, this time grinded more material from the mount and got a nice smooth mesh, I think last time my meshing was just a wee bit too tight and possibly the electrical system was choking due to bad solder joints (non leaded random Chinese stuff that needs a fair bit of heat) now I'm using leaded loctite stuff...

Will test if the setup is happier later today...if all is well and the weather holds up, I'll attempt a speed run on the weekend. 

Setup is:

Losi 8ight 4.0

HD diffs all round 

2200kv 4274 sensored motor

Hobbywing XR8 Plus, running in full sensored mode 

45T lightened spur 

25T pinion 

6S 4000mah 65-120C Turnigy HD

Any guestimates guys? 

The plan is to put this back to standard-ish form when I've completed a speed run hence no drastic changes like a fixed spool, or a huge motor (which is tempting) but I like my sensored setup. My goal is to try and have one buggy that can do a bit of everything.

I'd love to reach 100mph but I'm doubtful and suspect I'll top out in the 90s. 

Edited by Bert_w164

4000mah is small? What do you guys run in your speedsters? A part of me was toying with the idea of an even smaller 6S with a higher C rating to save weight down the line as I pretty much get out there and go for it after a couple of mild passes to get the heat in the tyres/feel for the road. 

Edited by Bert_w164

Due to battery sag you need high mha for speedruns. Weight is a good thing. Temps shouldnt be an issue as you idealy want to do a pass, then let the motor cool and battries settle, then go again.
Higher C rating doesnt mean much if the battries cant give consistant volts, thus why you want bigger mha.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Redback said:

Due to battery sag you need high mha for speedruns. Weight is a good thing. Temps shouldnt be an issue as you idealy want to do a pass, then let the motor cool and battries settle, then go again.
Higher C rating doesnt mean much if the battries cant give consistant volts, thus why you want bigger mha.

Interesting points, I'm at limit already with space in the tray (shells bulging with the 6s), so this will have to do...Will see how I get on, thanks for the info Spider Guy, 

Credit where it's due @RedbackI think you're completely right about sag. So fired it up, initially no cogging then a couple of minutes later it's cogging I'm hitting some sort of current/voltage issue with a 25T, it doesn't do it on 23T so I can only suspect as the current draw increases the cell voltage is dipping too much. 

The other thing I noticed, while my ESC heatsink is not hot, the capacitors were hot enough to burn my skin so definitely hitting limits of ESC too and I don't fancy killing a XR8 Plus in vanity. 

I'm going to check my esc setting and reduce punch and timing to see if that could be pushing it a tad too far, otherwise back to 23T life for me. 

When I say cogging I mean it's literally like a 90s vauxhall traction control system that just cuts off throttle and pulses, it's pretty violent on the drive train, time to wind my neck in a little. 

Edited by Bert_w164

Full sensored, I'll take the wire off to go sensorless and also try hybrid mode, but before the next run I want to try and safeguard the ESC capacitors. 

They were way too hot to the touch, but the rest of the esc was fairly cool, got some on the way so will fit them tomorrow and test, cheers.