• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High speed chit chat thread and banter

Lone-wolf

24 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I originally wanted 1/10th to start, or even 1/12, also found a road close by thats good for it, but nothing set in stone, but due may just not bother

1/12th is very satisfying to get going fast but I know @pieman5 will agree with me as another person running the "mini class" at ROSSA one of the most difficult things is getting things to fit within the available chassis space you have as well as getting suitable bodyshells to fit.  Also as @Redbackmentioned a good road surface is so important for the smaller scales. 

The larger the scale typically the easier it is to get things to fit as well as easier to run as less effected by debris on the road, uneven surfaces etc. 

Also I wouldn't discount a buggy either, ...I know you said you want a road car but you can get some pretty decent buggies which with some adjustments, a different bodyshell and some outboard style battery trays are every bit as fast as the "on-road specific" cars. 

Have a good think before you buy whatever you decide. :good:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

think i will just stick to the vantage, i still feel it has 70mph in it and that was the target speed, im less than 9mph short of that and figure if i can get a good throttle pull and hold it a couple of seconds longer it will do it

Are you still using the speed flee? If so then I'd ditch it and pick up a GPS with a faster refresh rate

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Yes still got speed flea, it will do for what i want

For all you know you could have already hit 70mph, just not for long enough for the Speed Flea to register it. Just something worth keeping in mind next time you go for it.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

For all you know you could have already hit 70mph, just not for long enough for the Speed Flea to register it. Just something worth keeping in mind next time you go for it.

Pretty much... even the skygps with fastest refresh rate isnt that accurate in places, if you dont have more than 3 sats you also wont really get accurate reads, ill be moving to the bluetooth one so i get all the sweet signal data etc on the phone, seems the way to go.
Whats the speed fleas update rate cant it be changed? Glad i got the skyrc one does the job even without the correct battery and half a case 😛

2 hours ago, Redback said:

Pretty much... even the skygps with fastest refresh rate isnt that accurate in places, if you dont have more than 3 sats you also wont really get accurate reads, ill be moving to the bluetooth one so i get all the sweet signal data etc on the phone, seems the way to go.
Whats the speed fleas update rate cant it be changed? Glad i got the skyrc one does the job even without the correct battery and half a case 😛

The original speed flea was once per second (1hz) but the most recent version (speed flea 64)  is 4 times per second (4hz) 👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Well done on new pb and it looked so stable doing that tho :good:

Thanks.

The Typhon I feel I have set up perfectly for me. I've so much confidence in driving it and have a lot of time invested in driving it too. 

I ended up plateauing in the 120's at the event though as the Typhon needed gearing up, ...tried to gear up but had reached the maximum adjustment on the motor mount so needed to change my spur which is a bigger job to do.  Did start to do it but noticed though that my front centre driveshaft was hitting or had been hitting the front servo mount so the shaft is obviously bent. 

Bought some Scorched RC titanium centre driveshafts for it yesterday so will be back at it next year even harder than this year. 😀

• Like 2

Have had the Outlaw up over 50mph today, 53.69mph 😎

That’s quite a good increase just from lowering the front, over 6.5mph - it’s still on stock tyres too, you should see them

balloon! 🤣

I’ve only got about 100m of smooth concrete before it hits gravel track, with more space I think I’ll get more speed, it’s definitely not hitting its terminal velocity before I run out of road. 

5CBCAC20-9562-42ED-8E10-16DB8EFC4F7F.jpeg

• Like 2

Evening all, what equipment is everyone using to get there speeds?  Want to know what speeds my carnage is hitting and when I get my nitro I wouldn't mind clocking what speeds that's getting upto. Any help is much appreciated 

1 hour ago, Redback said:

This is a good start and usable on anything, bikes, cars, planes etc.
https://www.skyrc.com/gpsgsm015

But ill be getting this at some point, As it gives more data.
https://www.skyrc.com/gsm020

35E17E09-49DB-4DA8-8C62-F21559C6BF05.jpeg

E174C5A2-5B88-47DA-9E51-DDC1744A6272.jpeg

E5839813-4CBD-4DCF-AEE0-A0D52DC2D788.jpeg

94A144EB-AB6B-42D0-A421-1D75AC6D3DDF.jpeg

• Like 1

Amazing, IL have a look for one of those. Only want to clock how fast it's goin and clock how fast my brother in law's xmaxx is goin as I can keep up with a carnage on 3s, we also want to see jus how fast his kraton 6s is goin as that thing is silly fast lol 

23 hours ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Lookin at the prices IL jus leave it, not forkin out 60 odd quid jus to see how fast they goin, IL sellotape an old phone to them with a GPS tracking app goin, should get the same sort of results 

It definitely won't give the same results, but might do the trick if you don't need it to be accurate

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

It definitely won't give the same results, but might do the trick if you don't need it to be accurate

Don't need to be bang on  jus want to know roughly how fast they goin. I jus bash about a local park and not buildin anythin high speed, but a rough speed would be nice to know, an spendin 60odd quid on sumin that's gona be used a handful of times is a bit much. They look awesome little gadgets tho 

Just now, Luvell RC said:

I make these units to order

From £25 to £55 for data logging both with an affective 5-8mhz refresh rate

1 hour ago, Luvell RC said:

57041834-B593-4616-9B20-A8C10B666491.jpeg

45BF8971-FF7C-4AE4-BB72-6166F026EEC6.jpeg

F3CEEB21-2C9C-4B80-BE06-FADF01153096.jpeg

250FF3B4-F137-4D23-AE5F-9E2C64BFFAFD.jpeg

F39C0332-6019-4296-83FC-9ACCBC8E3071.jpeg

46D8D7B1-848A-4988-89E2-817B155474D3.jpeg

So u could effectively make a unit mainly for top speed? But how would I get power to it? I want to test a kraton 6s, xmaxx 8s, carnage on 2s and 3s and a nitro Carson Montana (specter) I would be interested if u could do me jus a cheap unit that would work on all trucks 

Just now, Madmoz7610 said:

So u could effectively make a unit mainly for top speed? But how would I get power to it? I want to test a kraton 6s, xmaxx 8s, carnage on 2s and 3s and a nitro Carson Montana (specter) I would be interested if u could do me jus a cheap unit that would work on all trucks 

Of course they operate from 5-9v so I usually run it from a spare rx channel or can be powered by usb power banks or any 2s lipo I’ve had 6hrs from a 500mah small 2s with sd logging so a standalone gps for max speed info would last a lot longer there’s options with the gps modules that makes the difference in terms of refresh rates and acquisition times cheapest standalone units will come in around £30 posted