• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage speed runner

Lone-wolf

59 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

One step forward, 2 steps back 

I got 17mm hex adaptors, then ordered 70mm 1/8th contact foams, but they are nitro not hex drive, my mistake now hoping WS will take them back otherwise i have just thrown away about £37 on tyres and adaptors, unless the 17mm adaptors come of (think thread lock) then the  vantage is grounded

These things happen. I have some 30mm foams still in their box here because I ordered the wrong size. I'm sure I'll find a use for them eventually. You haven't wasted money on the adapters, surely you can use them when you get the correct wheels?

25 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

These things happen. I have some 30mm foams still in their box here because I ordered the wrong size. I'm sure I'll find a use for them eventually. You haven't wasted money on the adapters, surely you can use them when you get the correct wheels?

Can't find any wheels right size to run 4s with

10 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Bit pricy but something along the lines of a belted 1/8 buggy tyres would do it wouldn't it? If you're worried about the extra diameter putting strain on the motor then that could be solved by gearing down.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/319826/

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Another option is If WS accept the return you could try the Contact donuts and 2.2” wheels, the stock Ftx wheels are only £3.59 a pair 👍

• Like 2

@tomr for the cost that might well be way forward, i might have to make up a tyre truer to do it right but may give that a go, i will say the stock knobbly vantage tyres are way more grippy on tarmac than the Fastrax Arrows i was using and dont balloon so much

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

An excellent Sunday morning run with the Vantage, again a new pb for both car and for me, and really not happy with the Hyper GT see other thread!

The Vantage was on 3s for warm up then dived in with 4s as the motor was cool on 3s, also stayed cool on 4s...........the bit your waiting for i clocked a very healthy 60.52 mph or 97.39KPH :cheers:

Great result! Nice to see you're getting somewhere with the Vantage 👍 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Good result Jack very impressive :good:

As a side note i always threadlock my wheelnuts even on 1/8 scale as i did find if you didnt you lost 1 lol 

not being used to 1/8th i did wonder, guess in hindsight it would of been an idea, never mind it will be going

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
6 hours ago, BagDouken said:

Hi,  i dunno if people still post here but I wanted to know what is the highest speed anyone has recorded with a vantage?? I managed 73 Mph.. is that up there? or have people done much faster?

Bag Douken

I have not heard of any one going faster, its possible as i felt mine was capable, i just could not find a road to do it on hence i ended up selling it

5 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

I have not heard of any one going faster, its possible as i felt mine was capable, I just could not find a road to do it on hence i ended up selling it

Ah I see! So mine might be the fastest!? That's Crazy! Should I make a video then? I think once people learn what I did, people will crack 100mph with the Vantage, I am sure of it!!

• Like 1

So mostly repaired, waiting on a few bits to get it back on the road.

Managed 73MPH with 26T pinion

Upgraded to a 30T

5400kv Hobbywing EZrun 3652 sensored G3

Hobbywing Max 10 140A Esc (the one that comes with the 3665 MAX10 combo)

Hardened steel spur gear 

Arrma Vendetta High Downforce rear wing 

20Kg owootecc servo 

DUMBO RC X6

100c 1500mah CNHL 4S Lipo

(these things are cheap and offer STUPID power / weight ratio)

0 Turbo timing as of yet so more meat left on the bone ! 

hoping for 80+ with the 30T

B3B87F09-FA0E-4A32-9CE5-C566790A28D8.jpeg

DA5D4536-1155-46A4-A9E4-B9EB43E6A4FF.jpeg

E83F0D9C-975D-4E95-BD85-8CAA709E5941.jpeg

839C915E-2EA8-4558-BBF8-43F15D6DD64E.jpeg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BagDouken said:

New body just came after I destroyed the other one

The body I use, J Concepts Cat L1R Body

fits perfectly and the extended sides allow it to fit over bigger electronics 👍🏾👍🏾

E8028C9F-D765-4539-B62F-612ADB804DD3.jpeg

7F018E2C-A1E5-4CEB-8FB2-F607D5C32F4C.jpeg

F20ED4BA-E406-45D0-9738-08ED4813541A.jpeg

If you move the esc that battery tray will take 2 of those 4s drone batteries, this way you can run them in parallel doubling the capacity.
Reasons to do this, as the battery takes a load, the voltage will drop having more mha means less voltage dip meaning you can keep on the throttle more.

Heres how it looked in an FTX Banzia (same chassis basically).
IMG_20210212_202146.jpg.df8f3fd2188f6481

Also for gearing, you will have a hard time finding a smaller sput, however the traxass trx4 spur gear fits the slipper clutch and allows you to run 32dp gears rather than 48dp. This means you can run a larger pinion, running a negative or almost 1.1 ratio.

Irrc got 103mph with the that setup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redback said:

If you move the esc that battery tray will take 2 of those 4s drone batteries, this way you can run them in parallel doubling the capacity.
Reasons to do this, as the battery takes a load, the voltage will drop having more mha means less voltage dip meaning you can keep on the throttle more.

Heres how it looked in an FTX Banzia (same chassis basically).
IMG_20210212_202146.jpg.df8f3fd2188f6481

Also for gearing, you will have a hard time finding a smaller sput, however the traxass trx4 spur gear fits the slipper clutch and allows you to run 32dp gears rather than 48dp. This means you can run a larger pinion, running a negative or almost 1.1 ratio.

Irrc got 103mph with the that setup.

103 with a banzai!! That’s insane ! 

and thank you that’s a great idea, I think once it’s geared up I might need to run in parallel, in order to fit the Esc I’d have to cut the chassis a bit I think.

if my plan works and it holds up at 80+mph , then your setup can help me pass 100!

pure genius mate 🫡

it’s dark but that’s not gonna stop me getting it ready! Made a makeshift spray booth 😂😂

the body should fit 2 of those drone batteries underneath quite comfortably as well 😊

5C4D5C42-3180-4A38-8B02-47FDB73BA141.jpeg

C1369A2A-05A8-492A-82AF-950F4DFD0EE8.jpeg

A3434CD5-4656-4C2D-9E6E-AAA3A02526A4.jpeg

98B7D636-32FF-4511-8A4D-1D8DB8685EE7.jpeg

• Like 1