• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage speed runner

Lone-wolf

correct me if i am wrong but think i have worked out what is holding the vantage back, its been that every time i get to a certain throttle point the car just loses grip, i figure its the fastrax arrow tyres ballooning, thus narrowing the foot print down to a few mm, so next time out i might put the 1/10 foams on, this will drop the gearing a fair bit but a 4s will make up some difference, its worth a try

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

correct me if i am wrong but think i have worked out what is holding the vantage back, its been that every time i get to a certain throttle point the car just loses grip, i figure its the fastrax arrow tyres ballooning, thus narrowing the foot print down to a few mm, so next time out i might put the 1/10 foams on, this will drop the gearing a fair bit but a 4s will make up some difference, its worth a try

Have you tried lining the tyres with decent quality duct tape to belt them and hold back the ballooning?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Have you tried lining the tyres with decent quality duct tape to belt them and hold back the ballooning?

No not yet, i have a feeling i wont be able to unglue them to tape them, might have a look over weekend

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

No not yet, i have a feeling i wont be able to unglue them to tape them, might have a look over weekend

Not something I’ve had to do myself but apparently if you boil your wheels it makes the CA come unglued, worth a try?

• Like 1

I am so struggling to find wheels/tyres that might work, i love the fastrax arrows other than they balloon like crazy, and wont come of the rims, so now i have the stock tyres on to see how they perform but im not holding much hope .

Foam donuts were recommended but not sure what wheels to use as the foams are 70mm OD and 45mm ID 

12 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I am so struggling to find wheels/tyres that might work, i love the fastrax arrows other than they balloon like crazy, and wont come of the rims, so now i have the stock tyres on to see how they perform but im not holding much hope .

Foam donuts were recommended but not sure what wheels to use as the foams are 70mm OD and 45mm ID 

It says the foams fit standard 2.2” rims 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have your tried belted 1/8th buggy wheels and tires, just need a 12mm to 17mm adaptor and can test the hyper tires (that wont be belted also) so you will need some 1/8th belted at some point for 100 anyway.
If you can use 1/8th on your vantage should be good bang for your buck and no ballooning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redback said:

Have your tried belted 1/8th buggy wheels and tires, just need a 12mm to 17mm adaptor and can test the hyper tires (that wont be belted also) so you will need some 1/8th belted at some point for 100 anyway.
If you can use 1/8th on your vantage should be good bang for your buck and no ballooning.

I have belted GRP s7`s on the hyper but they are to large for the Vantage, plus as the vantage project is winding down i am reluctant to spend a lot more on it

10 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I have belted GRP s7`s on the hyper but they are to large for the Vantage, plus as the vantage project is winding down i am reluctant to spend a lot more on it

They shouldnt be to large for going in a straight line, adaptors are cheaper than 4 wheels and tires.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Redback said:

They shouldnt be to large for going in a straight line, adaptors are cheaper than 4 wheels and tires.

Okay sounds like a plan, the larger 98mm diameter might just get this sucker to the original target of 70mph

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Okay sounds like a plan, the larger 98mm diameter might just get this sucker to the original target of 70mph

I don’t know for certain but I’m pretty sure the GRP’s will be more like drift wheels on a small lightweight plastic buggy ? 
It’s worth a shot anyway for the price of the adapters 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomr said:

I don’t know for certain but I’m pretty sure the GRP’s will be more like drift wheels on a small lightweight plastic buggy ? 
It’s worth a shot anyway for the price of the adapters 👍

I have ordered the adaptors, might look at splashing out on a set of 1/8th contact foams

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

While i wait for hex adaptors to arrive decided to use plastic tubing on the shocks to restrict travel, now got about 6mm rear and 8mm front travel

If you haven’t already watch this vid from 3.18 .Showing how to set the chassis up with the spring preload.

It might help it run a bit better . Remember to put your batt in first 👍

Edited by tomr
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Redback said:

Flying there mate, thats the sound of speed runs! What kv motor you using atm?

Maybe a 4000kv+ would be good, but really its going to be down to gearing.

its a 3660 3300kv motor in there, i do think the mesh is a tad tight but hardly anything in it

One step forward, 2 steps back 

I got 17mm hex adaptors, then ordered 70mm 1/8th contact foams, but they are nitro not hex drive, my mistake now hoping WS will take them back otherwise i have just thrown away about £37 on tyres and adaptors, unless the 17mm adaptors come of (think thread lock) then the  vantage is grounded