• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage speed runner

Lone-wolf

53 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

The Vantage is back in one piece couple of marks on bumper and have to say it did well and was a lot of fun, i had trouble seeing the readout on the flea, may have to rethink the gps at some point, so not claiming any speed as cant prove it though i did see 45 at one run might do a video in a bit, traffic was a royal pain and there was a learner driver going round an round, it will be a lot better early doors on sundays, as weather gets better and a 1/8th hobao will also be better.....lol

Pleased it’s maiden went ok 👍 How did the tyres hold ?

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 17:45, Stormbringer said:

That looked faster than 45 tho but could just be me lol did you mange to give it full throttle there ?

Never got full whack, going to have another go maybe early friday morning and might go to another spot, i would love to see 57+ MPH then i think it would be fasted verified vantage

Also the DumboRC x6G....what an ace radio, full of features, long range and so comfy in the hand

• Like 1

Back from yet another average vantage run, went to a new spot, road surface was not ideal, forgot to take static camera only had cam on TX so best footage i got really was back end of my Honda Jazz!

My best was a whooping 47.25.........plus 2 curb encounters, very surprised at how the vantage hit the curb and went airborne but not damaged, i also forgot to take a 3rd lipo

so in summary i got a new pb at 47.25, the car has more throttle but every single time i tried for the last bit , it just went into a slide, despite trying to build up to speed, also had steering rate turned down and that did seem to help.

I really dont know how you guys are getting on full throttle, i would say i was running a 500m run each time, this has knocked my enthusiasm a little, though i guess when the Hobao is on the road that will be a whole different thing to drive.

Maybe i need better tyres on the Vantage but not spending on it as it will be sold once the Hobo is running

• Like 2

Just keep practicing the pulls, got to feed the power to prevent wheelspin, or tweak the punch (lower it) so it doesnt spin out. Could also be the front lifting and many other things, have you setup the suspension with limiters etc?
Well done on your new PB. 👍
Probably need less room to get the hobao to speed but you will need more space to stop it. Not seen your new place to run but the other places havent looked ideal, got to find a good spot, with very flat road and wide enough that you wont wipe out if steering goes a bit wonky.
Are you using 1/8th scale tires or 1/10 stc tires? Maybe go to smaller rubber and increase the pinion size to compensate for the lower gearing at the wheel.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Back from yet another average vantage run, went to a new spot, road surface was not ideal, forgot to take static camera only had cam on TX so best footage i got really was back end of my Honda Jazz!

My best was a whooping 47.25.........plus 2 curb encounters, very surprised at how the vantage hit the curb and went airborne but not damaged, i also forgot to take a 3rd lipo

so in summary i got a new pb at 47.25, the car has more throttle but every single time i tried for the last bit , it just went into a slide, despite trying to build up to speed, also had steering rate turned down and that did seem to help.

I really dont know how you guys are getting on full throttle, i would say i was running a 500m run each time, this has knocked my enthusiasm a little, though i guess when the Hobao is on the road that will be a whole different thing to drive.

Maybe i need better tyres on the Vantage but not spending on it as it will be sold once the Hobo is running

Sounds pretty much like all of my attempts bar one, possibly a fluke .Everclever made his 84mph pass look a piece of cake .

Maybe we’re getting to old mate the old reactions aren’t what they used to be  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Redback said:

Just keep practicing the pulls, got to feed the power to prevent wheelspin, or tweak the punch (lower it) so it doesnt spin out. Could also be the front lifting and many other things, have you setup the suspension with limiters etc?
Well done on your new PB. 👍
Probably need less room to get the hobao to speed but you will need more space to stop it. Not seen your new place to run but the other places havent looked ideal, got to find a good spot, with very flat road and wide enough that you wont wipe out if steering goes a bit wonky.
Are you using 1/8th scale tires or 1/10 stc tires? Maybe go to smaller rubber and increase the pinion size to compensate for the lower gearing at the wheel.

I am using fastrax 2.2 arrow tyres, only other ones i have are the 1/10 contact foams but they are small diameter, and not looking at buying more tyres as i plan to sell vantage soon, next time out i may try the Jumpshot tyres on the Vantage, and wont hurt to lower the punch on esc

41 minutes ago, tomr said:

Nice run mate Imagine that with better tyres on 👍

Are you running the DumboRC in that?  Have you tested the range on yours ? 

Yes DumboRXx6G not used Gyro yet, i am finding the range is superb, and its a nice comfy radio to used~it will be going in the Hobao

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Yes DumboRXx6G not used Gyro yet, i am finding the range is superb, and its a nice comfy radio to used~it will be going in the Hobao

That’ll do me I’ve ordered one 👍 
I

• Like 1

i fitted a 27t pinion, also fitted the original wheels as larger diameter but running it a few laps out in street motor was getting warm, so for now put arrow tyres back on, i think the pinion is to big for the spur, might be running a bit tight, so in hindsight i might be better with the 23T i had on and large tyres

• Like 1

5 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Only just seen this 😆 It might look quite chilled, but I'm always feeling like I'm one heavy throttle pull or steering adjustment away from ending it lol

I am enjoying the speed runs but also find it very frustrating at same time and its taking a lot of cash, so not sure how long i will stick with it, but time will tell.

I refitted the 23T pinion as i was just not happy with the 27T in it, figure the larger tyres on their own might be a better option, also set a tiny bit of toe out on front, maybe it will help with straight lining

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I am enjoying the speed runs but also find it very frustrating at same time and its taking a lot of cash, so not sure how long i will stick with it, but time will tell.

I refitted the 23T pinion as i was just not happy with the 27T in it, figure the larger tyres on their own might be a better option, also set a tiny bit of toe out on front, maybe it will help with straight lining

Have you done the suspension setup. Is it lifting causing loss of traction?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redback said:

Have you done the suspension setup. Is it lifting causing loss of traction?

I have wound the shock preloads to max and changed to heavy oil, TBH i dont think front is lifting, its the back that goes near full throttle, really i need soft grippy foams, but not spending on a set of tyres to do what will be one more run

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

I have wound the shock preloads to max and changed to heavy oil, TBH i dont think front is lifting, its the back that goes near full throttle, really i need soft grippy foams, but not spending on a set of tyres to do what will be one more run

That doesnt sound like its setup correctly, its not about maxing the springs, its about limiting the shaft travel, even with the springs maxed they will still compress.

• Like 1