• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cyclists.

Oh How Original

6 minutes ago, NOFX said:

I got a stonking enduro ( 6 inches of travel at each end) for 350 quid off Facebook marketplace.   Punk bikes also a good place to look. 

thank you for that but bit out of my budget for now.

Just now, oodboo said:

For that little your going to get something a bit rubbish and heavy. If it's just to see if you enjoy it book a couple of demo days with your money and see if it's something you want to invest in.

yeah i am expecting a not-so-great bike and not really bothered if its heavy. as long as its rideable and that i enjoy it then i am happy with that.

i used to ride a bmx back in the day and i remember that i enjoyed it. im too old for a bmx now 😄 so wanted to see if mountain would be similar feel wise.

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

thank you for that but bit out of my budget for now.

. There's loads of cheap bikes on Facebook marketplace.  We got a full suspension mtb for our little un for 15 quid 😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NOFX said:

. There's loads of cheap bikes on Facebook marketplace.  We got a full suspension mtb for our little un for 15 quid 😁

that is very cheap! 😄 

unfortunately i dont do facebook.

2 hours ago, froggy8 said:

I would stay clear of Apollo. They really are budget bikes, the kind you'll find in Halfords. The cannondale isn't too bad, though pretty old & low spec.

2 hours ago, oodboo said:

For that little your going to get something a bit rubbish and heavy. If it's just to see if you enjoy it book a couple of demo days with your money and see if it's something you want to invest in.

Not entirely true. If you can stretch to £350 then you can get some really decent second hand full sus MTB's for that.

4 years ago I bought a Yeti 575 from Ebay for £345. £3000 bike when it was brand new in 2008. Hope Pro 2 hubs, lots of Shimano XTR parts, top of the range Fox suspension front & rear. 2 years ago I sold that and bought a Rocky mountain flatline from Ebay for £360. Also very high spec and around £2800 when new in 2011. If you're happy to get something that's a little bit older and still on 26" wheels then have a search around & you can really fiind some great deals  :good:

Edited by James.S
  • Like 1

The canondale has been left to rot in a garden. The forks are shot, you can see that from the rust on the stanchions.

A few years ago 350 might have bought something decent but the market has gone mad since COVID-19 and lockdown. Also 350 is a big stretch from from original budget of 150.

Buy junk and you won't enjoy riding it. I stick to my suggestion of a couple of demo days. Or even somewhere with a decent fleet of hire bikes to see if you enjoy mountain biking. Then decide if it's something you enjoy enough to buy something decent. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, James.S said:

I would stay clear of Apollo. They really are budget bikes, the kind you'll find in Halfords. The cannondale isn't too bad, though pretty old & low spec.

Not entirely true. If you can stretch to £350 then you can get some really decent second hand full sus MTB's for that.

4 years ago I bought a Yeti 575 from Ebay for £345. £3000 bike when it was brand new in 2008. Hope Pro 2 hubs, lots of Shimano XTR parts, top of the range Fox suspension front & rear. 2 years ago I sold that and bought a Rocky mountain flatline from Ebay for £360. Also very high spec and around £2800 when new in 2011. If you're happy to get something that's a little bit older and still on 26" wheels then have a search around & you can really fiind some great deals  :good:

thank you for that.

it does seem there is quite alot of secondhand mtb going for roughyly around 350 that i do like the look of too but i just cant justify spending 200 over my budget though 😞 

i have never had a geared bike so i would need to get used to that and dont know the first thing about servicing them too regarding the gears and shocks. i have only had a bmx and the only thing i did with that was change the handle bar and spraying wd40 on the chains. bmx is very basics and doesnt have what mountain bikes has.

i was thinking maybe like a brushless car, buy cheap (brush or cheap make) and get to know it sort of thing AND if i do like it then i can spend more on a better one(brushless or better brand). 

that was my idea, just hope it can be done though.

2 minutes ago, oodboo said:

The canondale has been left to rot in a garden. The forks are shot, you can see that from the rust on the stanchions.

A few years ago 350 might have bought something decent but the market has gone mad since COVID-19 and lockdown. Also 350 is a big stretch from from original budget of 150.

Buy junk and you won't enjoy riding it. I stick to my suggestion of a couple of demo days. Or even somewhere with a decent fleet of hire bikes to see if you enjoy mountain biking. Then decide if it's something you enjoy enough to buy something decent. 

i would love the idea of going through woods, mud riding sort of thing but to be honest, i really dont think my body can do that so maybe the main thing i want to do is ride on the roads and try to get fit.

If you're just wanting to ride round on roads to get fit look for a hybrid bike. I bought one recently for £70. Specialized bike with light alloy frame and decent spec. Not a sexy bike so they don't go for much money. Also a lot better for riding on roads as they're lighter and faster than a mountain bike while more comfortable than a road bike.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oodboo said:

If you're just wanting to ride round on roads to get fit look for a hybrid bike. I bought one recently for £70. Specialized bike with light alloy frame and decent spec. Not a sexy bike so they don't go for much money. Also a lot better for riding on roads as they're lighter and faster than a mountain bike while more comfortable than a road bike.

that is brilliant! i will have a look on ebay now.

thanks 🙂 

47 minutes ago, oodboo said:

Good points well made, and my error for not taking the time to look at that particular example, just had a quick glance at which model it was.

That's true, the market did go pretty mad, but all of that has calmed down a lot now and people are selling bikes at reasonable prices again. Honestly have a look, you might be surprised what you can find.

I agree with that statement completely. But also if the original budget is £150 like you say then why are you suggesting demo days? You're looking at at least £1000 for a decent MTB, or more if it's full sus and that's a pretty big investment and a much bigger stretch than £350 would be.

32 minutes ago, oodboo said:

I think that is a great idea 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James.S said:

Good points well made, and my error for not taking the time to look at that particular example, just had a quick glance at which model it was.

That's true, the market did go pretty mad, but all of that has calmed down a lot now and people are selling bikes at reasonable prices again. Honestly have a look, you might be surprised what you can find.

I agree with that statement completely. But also if the original budget is £150 like you say then why are you suggesting demo days? You're looking at at least £1000 for a decent MTB, or more if it's full sus and that's a pretty big investment and a much bigger stretch than £350 would be.

I think that is a great idea 👍

thank you for your help

just decideing on a brand first then i can start searching, which brand/s would you go for?

• 4 months later...

Back on a bike after years of no riding!

I've just finished building up an NS Eccentric Alu Evo. It was supposed to be a "cheap" build using whatever I had in the parts box but ended up spiralling out of control! I sort of fell out of love with riding over the past couple of years but I made it my new years resolution to get back on it this year and so far I'm loving it! I've always been more interested in downhill riding and avoided pedalling at all costs. However this time round I'm doing things a little differently 🙂 I'll still be hitting some fairly gnarly trails, but I won't shy away from riding back to the top haha.

Anyway, here it is

IMG20220117103209

IMG_20220119_140124_775

IMG20220121121038

I don't know what this guy finds so funny but I can't get rid of him >> 😅 

Edit: Facebook just reminded me that it's 7 years ago to the day that I mangled my wrist mountain biking! That was the entire reason I got into RC cars 😬

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 3