• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cyclists.

Oh How Original

It is the 20th anniversary edition mate. 

It is old, but for the money it cost back then, you'd get nowhere near that spec for similar money today, you would have been pleasantly surprised by the condition it's in, but that's immaterial as it doesn't fit the bill.

Hope you get sorted pal. 

ATB

Hugo

Edited by Hugoagogo

3 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Ta for the replies, after some more searching last night and more reviews, full suspension is out, I wasn't 100% convinced, but to begin with, hardtail is the only option.

I don't mind between 27.5 or 29er, I guess coming back into it after a long while out, I figured a 29er is going to give me the 'easier' ride of the two, but having never actually ridden one, that's based on other peoples opinions, I'm yet to form my own.

Right now, top of the pile is the 2021 Giant Talon 1 at £729, over my original budget but yeah... The spec seems very good, especially when compared to the Talon 2 which is £599, but a lot less spec.

I do have to keep in mind I need a helmet and some shoes though, possibly some riding short just for comfort, I don't really have anything suitable at the moment.

I am probably going to go full face, not to try and look like the next Aaron Gwin, but coming from riding motorcycles, I am used to full face and if I do take it a bit further later on down the line, I am covered for running in harsher conditions and potentially DH.

Second hand market is a bit hit and miss, unless I commit to selling the Kraton and up my budget for new, the Giant seems unmatched in spec and quality for the price point.

I did see this, but not sure.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kona-lana-l-hardtail-bike-2021/rp-prod200019?mx01=a&mx02=a

The voodoo hoodoo is is better specced then that kona and its £50 cheaper, ring your local halfords to see if they have one to pop down and look at

Edited by Strugglecuddle7

16 hours ago, Guns said:

Look into/read up on a Carrera Titan X

Halfords had them for £850, its a full suspension, very high component level for the price

The make I had when i did MTB  just wish i had full suss (might not have knackered spine now) 

I found it was not much the bike but what it had.

good toe grips  comfortable riding/hand position.  Fast Over an under gear change .  And a secure water bottle holder  lol 

2 hours ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

The voodoo hoodoo is is better specced then that kona and its £50 cheaper, ring your local halfords to see if they have one to pop down and look at

Yeah having compared the two now... I do prefer the looks of the Voodoo, but no, the Talon 1 is still top for me, I am looking at one from my local Giant shop in a couple of weeks when they are in stock, assuming I haven't found something else by then.

Gloves help.  Fox dirt paws are pretty cheap & really comfy.  A full face helmet is pretty sweaty unless you're going fast. I've got a giro compound lid. ( open face ) I don't even know I'm wearing it 😊. A decent seat really helps. I had the stock specialized seat on my enduro bike.  It ruined my bum so much 😪.  I got a  fabric scoop one & now I can sit down after a ride.  Padded shorts or the ridiculous looking padded bib shorts are a godsend.  As for footwear, a pair of walking boots do the job. 

just a second shout out to decathlon, i got my mtb hardtail from there and my cheaper roadbike, decathlon have awesome value for money, i am a bit out of the loop as im not allowed to cycle yet because of my heart but i have done thousands of miles on a old model decathlon btwin 540 mtb and hundreds on a triban 500se

heres my 540 on the last ride i done :

sDskr9V.jpg

🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mond said:

I think they are pretty local to you as well. Don't forget to grab some padded shorts or padded bib shorts!

Who are local to me bud?

I've got some shorts, I've got some gloves, some five10s and I did buy a 'regular' bicycle helmet.

But since ordering a much more capable bike than I was first looking at, I think I need to go full face right from the off.

I am used to a full face helmet on the motorbikes, but I can't decide which one, I don't have an unlimited budget since I spent so much on the bike itself.

And I know from history in the motorbike world, you can only pay for so much, after that you're paying for the name.

Orange are up in Lancashire or Yorkshire I believe.

I'd only go full face if you're going to bike parks. You can buy helmets with detachable face protection and they are pretty popular. POC I believe do one, Endura certainly does and they are reasonable for a helmet like that but it's still around £160.  I'd probably go with the Endura. All their stuff is good quality.

On 13/03/2021 at 23:03, Oh How Original said:

Who are local to me bud?

I've got some shorts, I've got some gloves, some five10s and I did buy a 'regular' bicycle helmet.

But since ordering a much more capable bike than I was first looking at, I think I need to go full face right from the off.

I am used to a full face helmet on the motorbikes, but I can't decide which one, I don't have an unlimited budget since I spent so much on the bike itself.

And I know from history in the motorbike world, you can only pay for so much, after that you're paying for the name.

Just caught up with this thread! You've made an excellent choice bike wise - a buddy of mine has one and loves it, did you get a 27.5 or 29?  Would have said, don't touch a hardtail under £1k so alls well...

As for full face - you aint pretty enough for that!! and what are you honestly expecting to ride?? If you're going hooning then get some kneepads and decent gloves before a full face 👍

Edited by stimpy

12 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Just caught up with this thread! You've made an excellent choice bike wise - a buddy of mine has one and loves it, did you get a 27.5 or 29?  Would have said, don't touch a hardtail under £1k so alls well...

As for full face - you aint pretty enough for that!! and what are you honestly expecting to ride?? If you're going hooping then get some kneepads and decent gloves before a full face 👍

27.5, gloves are already bought, knee pads already bought, got some five10s here, along with some Alpinestars riding shoes, I forgot I had them, they might actually work quite well on MTB.

I plan to get pretty into it, I won't be messing about jumping up and down curbs.

I already have the full sus I want bookmarked.

If it does all go to plan, I'll have that Kona by next year 😄 

There's no good reason not to have some nose, teeth and chin protection IMO.

• Like 1

Beard protection. Be honest. That is all you are concerned about 🤪

So which Kona are you dreaming of? A full susser? My first proper MTB was a Kona Firemountain - loved it till some bugger nicked it....

I ride, my brother @drewd rides, and @walkbythesea does too, I've got a Kona Unit single speed rigid 27.5x3.0 tyre bike, an old Charge Plug 3 Gravel bike, a 26" GT that I need to collect from a friend (sorry H!), and a Stanton Slackline NextGen.

There's actually a bike for every budget and every rider, the trickiest thing is actually deciding what sort of riding you're really likely to do.. that's why I have a couple of bikes, because one doesn't do all, but if I had to have just one, it'd be my Stanton.

The Orange is a good choice for what you're talking about wanting to ride.  The important thing is riding it.. I don't do that enough with any of mine.

26 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

I ride, my brother @drewd rides, and @walkbythesea does too, I've got a Kona Unit single speed rigid 27.5x3.0 tyre bike, an old Charge Plug 3 Gravel bike, a 26" GT that I need to collect from a friend (sorry H!), and a Stanton Slackline NextGen.

There's actually a bike for every budget and every rider, the trickiest thing is actually deciding what sort of riding you're really likely to do.. that's why I have a couple of bikes, because one doesn't do all, but if I had to have just one, it'd be my Stanton.

The Orange is a good choice for what you're talking about wanting to ride.  The important thing is riding it.. I don't do that enough with any of mine.

Yup, I ride when I can.

I've always been a fan of Orange bikes, although I've never owned one. The closest I have is a bright orange On One Big Dog hardtail I built up last year.

So I had a complete turn around.

My original plan of a budget hardtail for around £700, has turned into a pretty much DH/Enduro full suss, treated myself big time lol, this is the problem when your girlfriend tells you to order whatever you want.

The shop I ordered from originally got a bit snotty when I asked about frame size... I then phoned up to change my order to a full suss due to a change of heart/mind, they told me they'd call me back, 2 hours later I get an E-Mail that my orders cancelled and I'm refunded, not even a courtesy call, so they lost a £3,200 sale.

So I am picking up a bike from a different shop, who seem to have better staff, a 2021 Trek Remedy 8.

Wanted this style of bike since I was young, I am in a position to buy it, so I am super excited.

I've also found I have Danny Hart Descent near me and Hamsterley Forest MTB within a 30 minute or so drive.

Remedy 8 XT | Trek Bikes (GB)

• Like 1

On 15/03/2021 at 20:12, stimpy said:

Beard protection. Be honest. That is all you are concerned about 🤪

So which Kona are you dreaming of? A full susser? My first proper MTB was a Kona Firemountain - loved it till some bugger nicked it....

Originally was looking at the Kona Process 153 for full suss, but ended up ordering a 2021 Trek Remedy 8.

Spec is better and it should climb better, where as the Kona is more suited to up lift parks.

Haha.... Well done mate, you'll love it!! Them Treks get good reviews 👍

I think I may have been to Hamsterley forest aeons ago... 

Hoping I can get back to some our local -ish trail centres soon too, not ridden in too long....