• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I find this rather sad.

bertberr

It's a collectors item. Collectors items get bought as investments. 

I understand that's annoying to someone who wants to collect one, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And he's selling a single Optima, so the notion that he bought up "all the stock" of an RC that released what, 5 years ago? Nah..

As i said, there's nothing more annoying than waiting for/not finding the RC you really want, but there's really nothing to complain about when we're talking about collectors items. At least in my opinion.

Edited by m4inbrain

I have to fess up and say i have toyed with this at times, as i am in a position to buy up some stock and hold it till i can turn a profit, but 2 things hold me back, as said while its not illegal i dont really agree with the notion and more important dont know what to stock up on lol, my luck i would buy 10 new model "X" and end up stuck with them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turok007 said:

at least the price is not to bad

Yeah, not too outrageous I suppose, and if it was just a one off, then I'd prob just think yeah, fair enough.  I mean there has been a couple of new members on here recently touting massively over priced NIB ReRe buggies, as their first ever post... £375 for a CAT XLS that until about 3-4 months ago could be had on MS for 239...   As I said, just because you can doesn't mean you should.  I could have bought a load of these Kyosho & Schummy ReRe's a while back, right at the start of lockdown, and sold them all for huge profits, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable exploiting a situation such as the one we have all been dealing with this last year.  Each to their own though I suppose.

• Like 1

It annoys me too, to be honest.

But peoples opinions will differ, usually those who can afford whatever they want anyway don't care and those who have to save up for stuff will moan.

Like anything really... I personally would do without it, no model is worth getting ripped off for.

The irony is, the kind of person who agrees with this, is literally ripping themselves off, because if they stopped buying them at inflated prices, then these re-sellers would not be able to do it, shops would have more stock on hand and everyone gets a car at a more fair price, everyones a winner.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree, out of principle I would never buy something like this, whether an RC car or anything else.  I don't need it that much (don't need at all really...) that I'm prepared to pay up to or over 50% more for something that was readily available until fairly recently.  And yes, if others did the same then these types of sellers wouldn't exist, but guess there's enough peeps out there that either just don't care (about paying over the odds) or just don't realise how much over RRP they actually are.   It's different for genuine vintage / collectors items that haven't been sold for years/decades/centuries - genuine rarity / historical provenance can really enhance the value of something, whether classic car/motorcycle, art, wine, etc etc.  Even original old RC cars like 70/80's Tamiya, Kyosho, RC10 etc.  Thing is, some of these will probably sell at these crazy prices, and you could then say, well if the market is prepared to pay those prices, then perhaps they aren't that crazy after all?  End of the day, I just don't agree with multiple buying of something during a crisis in order to turn a profit.  In more normal times, with more normal supply/demand, then perhaps fair enough, just my opinion though.  Others may view it differently, which is their prerogative.  

Maybe I'm strange, but i don't see anything wrong here. It's just how the market works.  If you can afford to make an investment then you do it and hopefully turn some profit on it, everything works like that...

Morally wrong would be stocking up some life essential products and then sell them in case of shortage, just to make profit. For example food or water in case of some big natural disaster. That would definitively be wrong in all aspects...

But making profit on reselling hobby stuff? Perfectly OK to me, if you want it, you pay it. I'm quite sure that RC cars are not life essential , are they? It's luxury product just like many other nice things that we actually don't need, but we buy them because we can afford them.

• Like 2

I saw some Xboxes going for £1,400.

People are stupid.

You can't possibly be THAT desperate to play a video game.

RCs aren't that important either, but I think there is a fine line here, so if the vehicle is no longer available, like you say, potentially decades old, then fair enough.

I recall a chap who had bought a Rolex back in the 60s, he paid $175 for it or something similar, because he never wore it, never took it out the box and never even filled in the (STILL valid) warranty, it was worth upwards of $750,000.

I don't like to see other people ripping other people off.

I believe the hobby is about community.

I'd give stuff away before ripping people off.

I've turned down sales because the item wasn't right for the persons application many times.

I guess there's two types of people in this world, I know which ones I'd rather have, world would be a better place if less people were profit minded.

The irony is if the world was full of the kind of person who agrees with this, then nobody would be able to afford anything, eventually.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

The irony is if the world was full of the kind of person who agrees with this, then nobody would be able to afford anything, eventually.

So true, and sort of the way the world is going with the top 95% of the worlds wealth lying with 5% of the worlds population.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

My eldest found a PS5 listing that sold for over five hundred quid, but the listing clearly stated "box only", no law broken. 

That's just dumb people.

Same as when someone sells a photograph of a car etc... It's wrong, but no law broken, just stupid people.

The stupidity thing applies here too IMO.

Willingly overpaying.

My next door neighbor buys up all the discounted lego and has paid people in the local supermarkets and toy shops. Then sells it when the price is high.

Nothing to stop him but personally I would leave them for others to get a deal 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

I guess there's two types of people in this world, I know which ones I'd rather have, world would be a better place if less people were profit minded.

You know why that's pretty ironic, don't you?

Edited by m4inbrain

There wont be this problem if tamyia and kyosho make enough kits to meet demand as well. They limit them on purpose to make them more exclusive. The are re releasing everything that they already made with maybe minor changes at best because they know the people who wanted them back then now have the money to afford them now.  It doesn't require as much effort as a whole new car, but then maybe people would rather have the same thing over and over rather than something new.  

Maybe the manufacturers are even selling them too cheap in the first place, if there is still room for someone else to buy them and sell them on ebay and still make a bit. 

I don't think there is much point in buying ReRe's to sell on at a later date, Or any RC car to be honest, You might see some brand new in box stuff go for like a £1000 or something, But this will normally be an original that has sat in a loft unopened for 20 years,  And even at a grand, Which I think is still pretty rare, It's not a great return on a 20 year investment.

It's even harder now with Tamiya and the like scalping there own ReRe's, The Egress was well out of my range back in the day, Here we are 30 odd years later, And they still want stupid money for one, It's not out of my range, I'm just not paying that, I just couldn't be bothered to have a box kicking around the house for years on the off chance I may make 100 quid on it.

Also, In 20 years time, The people that find HotShots and Sand Scorchers nostalgic, Are gonna be to old to care, Or just dead.

Just to add, I thought Tamiya would of asked more for the Super Champ.