• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

next speed runner 1/12...1/10 or 1/8

Lone-wolf

I am just throwing idea`s about, the plan has been to get a 1/8th Hoboa for next project, but this would would out by far the most expensive option,more than likely costing 400-500 to put together, so got to looking at the HPI RS4 creators chassis, brings budget right down, and also wondered about 1/12 chassis, so putting this out to forum to get opinions

I like the smaller cars as I feel they are more manageable and generally the costs are lower. Once you start going up the sales the costs jump up so up front a hyper 7 roller might be around £100 but the electronics and wheels and tires will soon eat into your budget. 

Just make sure that part support is good and maybe look for a proven chassis to get you started. 

• Like 1

@Alex97, thanks for a helpful reply, the way i see this, i wont be trying for 150mph i can see my max target being closer to 100, so do i really need to spend a large amount of hard earned when i should be able to do it with a smaller lower cost setup i think it might be a case of choosing between the 1/10th RS4 chassis or a 1/12  Schumacher like the atom, but i know nothing about this chassis

2 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

@Alex97, thanks for a helpful reply, the way i see this, i wont be trying for 150mph i can see my max target being closer to 100, so do i really need to spend a large amount of hard earned when i should be able to do it with a smaller lower cost setup i think it might be a case of choosing between the 1/10th RS4 chassis or a 1/12  Schumacher like the atom, but i know nothing about this chassis

@pieman5 has a lot of experience with 1/12 chassis. Just look at what's popular. 

I know i've already said this somewhere, but if you are looking at going for a 1/10th scale touring car around the £100-£120 range, you are MUCH MUCH better off going for an old used race chassis (such as a Xray T2, Schumacher mi3 etc) They pop up on ebay fairly often and are much more suitable for speed running, pretty much no upgrades needed, just fiddle with the gearing, shove some decent foams/sorex rubber tyres on and mount some beastly leccy's in it.  The more RTR based kits just aren't built to handle the same kinda power/punishment and have very little adjustability.

• Like 2

Nice, me and a mate are doing a comp. Im going Fazer MK2 vs his RS4 Sport 3, be nice to get 100 but atm its about just being the fastest. Looking into motors and ESC as well but not sure what to get really. With 1/8 it seems easy, i got a Hyer VTE to 86 quickly and it was driving great, on my infraction i have a 30t pin and 39t spool with MMX8s + 1520 motor running 8s, but these 1/10s seem harder, esp the gearing.

• Like 2

Having lost a fair chunk of cash on the failed strada project, i now think best thing to do is get a wltoys 124019, with a sensible motor i should be able to get 70mph and not spend a large sum, also this buggy seems to have decent handling

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Having lost a fair chunk of cash on the failed strada project, i now think best thing to do is get a wltoys 124019, with a sensible motor i should be able to get 70mph and not spend a large sum, also this buggy seems to have decent handling

Use the motor that you was going to use in the strada on the wl toys and experiment from there imo, theres no need to spend anything if you have escs and motors to try as per the banzia, i spent nothing on motors and esc's. Should be able to get 70, it depends on how far you want to go with spending money on spurs and pinions to get the speed as the motor is just half the equation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redback said:

Use the motor that you was going to use in the strada on the wl toys and experiment from there imo, theres no need to spend anything if you have escs and motors to try as per the banzia, i spent nothing on motors and esc's. Should be able to get 70, it depends on how far you want to go with spending money on spurs and pinions to get the speed as the motor is just half the equation.

Cheers, this is just what i am thinking, gonna take the brushless out of strada, put the old brushed back in and sell that on

4 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

on my 144001 i'm sitting well under £200, the quality is ok but for the price they are goog value. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

If you end up selling the Strada I might be interested as a roller 👍 

1/8 will be more expensive initially, but will be fairly easy to get going 80mph+ without many, if any hop ups.  My Hyper 7 is RAPID on 5s with whatever electronics I had lying around and zero setup suspension wise. 1/10 may seem like a cheaper option, but once you factor in the amount of modifying and hopping up you'll need to do I bet there's not much in it.

• Like 1

So i have narrowed down the choice to 3 models, keep coming back to the HPI RS4 creator chassis, lot of parts choice, great motor mount and its 1/10th and a lot of choice for body shells......second is the wltoys 124019, long wait from china and about same cost seeing as you junk out stock electrics, i have heard swapping motor is a royal pain due to a gallon of thread lock, shell choice is limited to pretty much Phat bodies or stock buggy, and a bit of the wall choice is the FTX vantage brushed, good suspension as stock, plenty of hop up parts, and from own experience these ftx chassis handle pretty good, as i have a DumboRC radio on order (long range) part of me is drawn to the vantage as its cheap plus i would sell of the electrics from get go and i have seen on YT vantage can be made to go fast, again target stands at 70MPH

i think you might hit the same wall with the rs4 as with the strada, going to big pinions that unlock that 70+ speed that might be hard in the rs4 with its small pinion cover.
the vantage is the same drive train as the banzia and will be able to make 70+

• Like 1

Okay been giving this a lot of thought and seem to be edging closer an closer to ordering the brushed FTX Vantage, i see i could get fastrax 2.2 wheels with road tyres to fit, and having already converted an FTX to brushless i was rather impressed at how it went both speed and handling, yet again parts are cheap and easy to come by, from a looks point of view i would much rather have a sleek low slung exotic shelled car but the vantage just seems to offer so much, i figure i would just sell the TX/RX, brushed motor and esc as all these parts just wont be used.

I would not expect 100mph but i guess 70 would be realistic. No decision yet, at least the DumboRC radio set will be here in next few days (so need to put tape over the name on this new radio lol)

• Like 2

Well i seem to be hitting that wall before even making a purchase, been watching a truck load of YT video`s on the FTX Vantage and seems no one gets any real speed out of it, maybe 55 on a good day, I also agree with Redback on the HPI, having a limited room for pinion gear, though it can go fast, i feel i should get the Hoboa 1/8th GT roller but doubt if my 120amp surpass ESC will be up to the job on 4s plus i would have to get a 40 size motor and if i am brutally honest i just cant spare the cash for the more expensive speed run project having already spent a pretty tidy sum on RC over last few months, i was toying with the WLToys but just not convinced i should get that, but it might still be best option..........considering just forgetting whole idea, but have to say it is a great buzz when it comes right

Just put the pennies aside then decide, making the choice without a locked in budget is going to be impossible as the costs just keep growing. I would look at what the whole thing + running costs is then add another 100.
So in my mind and the banzai for example that cost me 100, without the esc and motor i already had have already put the same cost of the car into it on tires and batteries, and i didnt really need all those but did for speed runs.
If i was to include the esc the cheap drift car speed project is far from cheap at around 400£ of kit. Puts things in a bit of perspective and hope it helps 🙂

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

I think you'd be blown away by the speed of cheap, used 1/8 buggy. On 4s my Hyper 7 is rapid with no effort put into preparing it for high speed runs at all, it's an all out bash buggy. On 5s it was blowing tyres for fun. I say start looking for a bargain on a used roller or RTR and go from there.

For example, £200 would probably get you a used H7 which from what I've seen on the forum will be far faster than any other RC you have owned. Do a few speed runs as it is, maybe mess with gearing which is as cheap as buying a few pinions, then you can go down the rabbit hole of new tyres, better batteries, faster motor, etc as funds allow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Well i seem to be hitting that wall before even making a purchase, been watching a truck load of YT video`s on the FTX Vantage and seems no one gets any real speed out of it, maybe 55 on a good day, I also agree with Redback on the HPI, having a limited room for pinion gear, though it can go fast, i feel i should get the Hoboa 1/8th GT roller but doubt if my 120amp surpass ESC will be up to the job on 4s plus i would have to get a 40 size motor and if i am brutally honest i just cant spare the cash for the more expensive speed run project having already spent a pretty tidy sum on RC over last few months, i was toying with the WLToys but just not convinced i should get that, but it might still be best option..........considering just forgetting whole idea, but have to say it is a great buzz when it comes right

How I see it mate Redback has already hit high speeds with his Banzai so making a Vantage do it running much bigger wheels should be well achievable 👍

• Like 1