• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

next speed runner 1/12...1/10 or 1/8

Lone-wolf

3 minutes ago, tomr said:

How I see it mate Redback has already hit high speeds with his Banzai so making a Vantage do it running much bigger wheels should be well achievable 👍

Not ruled it out, in a lot of ways it makes a lot of sense, cheap to buy, cheap to fix, fair handling, lots of upgrade parts, just think if it could do say 70mph it would be on YT and just cant seem to find any real quick ones on there

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Not ruled it out, in a lot of ways it makes a lot of sense, cheap to buy, cheap to fix, fair handling, lots of upgrade parts, just think if it could do say 70mph it would be on YT and just cant seem to find any real quick ones on there

Yeah but you have a secret weapon, Redback’s blueprint  for making that Vantage chassis go ballistic 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tomr said:

Yeah but you have a secret weapon, Redback’s blueprint  for making that Vantage chassis go ballistic 👍

Okay, looks like you convinced me, might order it tonight, will have to start with 3300kv motor and 60amp esc as i have these then maybe next month a hobbywing ESC and better motor

Mr indicisive strikes again, part of me really wants the Hoboa road car as I have servo, radio and the 120 amp surpass ESC and 70C 4s lipo all I would need is a 4078 low KV motor from banggood to get up.and running, £260 all in...decisions

• Confused 1

@Redback you put a confused smiley but nothing to be confused over, i can afford and justify the vantage project, and have the room to maybe max it, i can just about afford the Hoboa though at basic set up is twice the price, but can i justify the expense, having already spent a lot on rc cars last few months let alone the main hobby of flying, i doubt i will be able to max out a Hoboa hence i am very undecided

The more i think about this the more i think much as i want it, the Hoboa is a nogoa, it looks like a basic setup Hoboa is only good for about 50mph, i can get more than that from the Jumpshot flux, so it swings back to the Vantage at less than 50% of the cost, i guess its decision made, will order the Vantage and some bits this weekend, thinking of adding the Acetal 48DP  74tooth spur with 26 Tooth pinion.

I think i must have watched just about every YT Hoboa and Vantage video by now!

Also keeping the budget in check for a car that may only get used for an hour or so every few weeks, and again parts are so silly cheap for this car

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 1

I personally would stick with the Hobao Hyper GT... What do you mean by the basic setup is only good for 50mph?

A larger platform, 1/8 over 1/10 will give more layout and room for electronics, especially batteries.

Edited by Derka
Cut short

@Derka By basic setup i mean a 4048 racerstar motor about 2000kv with cheap and short lived surpass 120amp esc risking it on 4s lipo, this is only gonna give around 50 maybe 60MPH.........same as a real car speed costs, to get to 80-100mph i would need a 150am Hobbywing esc and better motor, that will throw another £150plus into the project, so way i see it a Hoboa is gonna turn into a money pit, cash i am not prepared to pour into this project

5 minutes ago, Derka said:

Doing it on a 1/10 scale will be deffo be cheaper.

Dont get me wrong, i would really like to get the Hoboa as stated a few times, its a nice car, but short of someone giving me a wedge of cash im not prepared to buy a car that wont be all that quick to then have to spend near same again to make it a bit quicker, hope this all makes sense

@Jack Reacher another member has made a for sale advert with a few items in. 
I can't see a price for it but it looks like he is selling a 1/8th scale buggy roller, ...could potentially be a good speed run project, what do you think? (couldn't see the price though but worth asking maybe if you like it).
Link: 

EDIT:  Just re-read the advert again. The buggy is an Xray XB808 so a decent buggy.
Quote; "

Xray XB808 Nitro chassis ×2 - 2 cars, bought as a project but havent got time to finish, will need nitro engine or electric motor, can send pics on request £100, not boxed."

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2021 at 22:54, Logie said:

Nice, me and a mate are doing a comp. Im going Fazer MK2 vs his RS4 Sport 3, be nice to get 100 but atm its about just being the fastest. Looking into motors and ESC as well but not sure what to get really. With 1/8 it seems easy, i got a Hyer VTE to 86 quickly and it was driving great, on my infraction i have a 30t pin and 39t spool with MMX8s + 1520 motor running 8s, but these 1/10s seem harder, esp the gearing.

Been looking at the rs4 sport 3 as its got high speed gearing from factory to do 70mph+ does your mate have an account here, id love to know how he gets on with his build, or maybe you can update us with both of your progress.
The rs4 also has a steel shaft that is easy to support with bearings and seems better designed vs the banzia that is basically just a vantage on a road chassis.
Drag cars are made to go fast, is any one speed running a drag build? DR10 or something else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redback said:

Been looking at the rs4 sport 3 as its got high speed gearing from factory to do 70mph+ does your mate have an account here, id love to know how he gets on with his build, or maybe you can update us with both of your progress.
The rs4 also has a steel shaft that is easy to support with bearings and seems better designed vs the banzia that is basically just a vantage on a road chassis.
Drag cars are made to go fast, is any one speed running a drag build? DR10 or something else?

A little part of me would still like RS4 sport creator chassis, never say never