• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Jumpshot ST Flux Owners

tomr

On 08/04/2021 at 11:02, MrCake said:

Still waiting for some fixings to arrive.  Went for 4x10 and 4x12 to test so will let you know how they go. 

Didn't want to go too long since it will be eating into the casing and I have already shaved it down a smidge from an accidental wheelie on tarmac!

On 08/04/2021 at 10:06, tomr said:

I believe Mrcake has gone with 4x15mm bolts 👍

Cheers 🍻 

On 08/04/2021 at 11:02, MrCake said:

Still waiting for some fixings to arrive.  Went for 4x10 and 4x12 to test so will let you know how they go. 

Didn't want to go too long since it will be eating into the casing and I have already shaved it down a smidge from an accidental wheelie on tarmac!

Well 4x12 'works' but it would probably be better if I could have found some courser 3mm fixings.

Managed to crack the stock servo saver, couldn’t find a replacement in stock at the time so

ended  up ordering a GPM heavy duty saver . 
It fits and seems to work great only downside is I feel it’s slightly too heavy duty for the stock plastic geared servo .

Stuck in a metal geared servo at the same time .

15989D04-E28D-4EB0-B607-DA53F324E964.thumb.jpeg.d39960ce55f107af3eb79e0691e8f19f.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I now have best of both, Jumpshot ST and MT

Nice one Jack, it looks good mate  :good:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a problem with my Jumpshot flux, took it to the flying field as a mate wanted to do a follow video with a quadcopter, set of and hit a bump, it went end over end and the motor shifted outwards losing mesh, could i get cover of, no way, ended up trying to drill head of one screw and that did not work, but the heat allowed me to pull the cover over the screw that is stuck, so its fixed now.....sort of lol

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a gyro in one of these?  Know RWD is always going to be tricky but wondered if a gyro helped that much?

Also, any recommendations for tyres for running this on loose dirt (woodlands) and maybe a bit of grass?  Stock wheels don't have much grip and it would be nice to have a little more bite.  I did see Modelsport running theirs with spiked rears and blocks at the front.  Is that for a specific handling characteristic? 

They have these on the rear https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/369924 and these for the front https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/schumacher-stagger-rib-yellow-truck-tyres-pr--369923

1 hour ago, MrCake said:

Has anyone tried a gyro in one of these?  Know RWD is always going to be tricky but wondered if a gyro helped that much?

Also, any recommendations for tyres for running this on loose dirt (woodlands) and maybe a bit of grass?  Stock wheels don't have much grip and it would be nice to have a little more bite.  I did see Modelsport running theirs with spiked rears and blocks at the front.  Is that for a specific handling characteristic? 

They have these on the rear https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/369924 and these for the front https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/schumacher-stagger-rib-yellow-truck-tyres-pr--369923

Mini spikes are for long pile astro or grass racing. Ribbed tyres are what most 2wd cars run at the front on all surfaces. They would probably have lots of grip on the terrain you're describing but they'll wear quite quickly, very quickly if you do any tarmac driving. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/fastrax-1-10-mt-jigsaw-mounted-on-black-6-spoke-0-offset-2-12mm-hex-405196

Something like these would be a better all-surface tyre. Check the offset if you buy them as I'm not sure what the jumpshot needs. 

Edited by lorrylemming

3 hours ago, MrCake said:

Something like these https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/duratrax-sixpack-st-2-8-truck-2wd-mounted-rear-c2-black-2-dtxc3560-31218?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5uju-rCP8QIVFBDnCh1pHgI4EAQYAyABEgJXTvD_BwE

Or you could go with 30mm 17mm hex adapters and 1/8 buggy wheels 👍 They’re cheap and the tread lasts for ages 

Adapters.    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313243662696?hash=item48eec6f968:g:MCkAAOSw9nZfeMvP

Wheels.        https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/roapex-buggy-1-8-tyre-rhythm-on-black-rims-17mm-2--443358

A854F6D7-7A78-4892-81EC-44EBD154AAF7.thumb.jpeg.a9703faaa389521e36e26d832f67c44c.jpeg

CA4B4046-39BA-4605-9A7F-63399D54B76C.thumb.jpeg.73f23ab923fdb76661e20e07fb34a65a.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2021 at 20:15, MrCake said:

Thanks for the recommendations! 👍

Weird quoting myself but in the end I went for RUSTLER VXL TIRES (F/R Tyres WHEELS (4) 3770, 3772A, 5576, 5563 Traxxas 37076-4 from JennyRC.  Worked out something like £32 delivered which I think is a bargain.  Just don't tell anyone that I am running Traxxas wheels on a HPI!

I also added a gyro, partly because I hated the transmitter.  Not sure it has added much since most of the time the front wheels are off the ground but is is nice to have.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I think UK spares are not too bad.  I have a ST Flux and while I do like it, I think HPI are particularly poor with their RTR QOS.  

On mine, the motor mount and pinion were loose causing it to strip a spur.  I think the stock tyres are a bit rubbish and I ended up using Rustler ones on mine.  Even on 2s I think the wheelie bar is a must and the one I ordered from HPI doesn't even fit properly and you need to use your own screws.

I would say I love it now, but was probably my worst out of box experience so far with any brand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2022 at 10:43, MrCake said:

I think UK spares are not too bad.  I have a ST Flux and while I do like it, I think HPI are particularly poor with their RTR QOS.  

On mine, the motor mount and pinion were loose causing it to strip a spur.  I think the stock tyres are a bit rubbish and I ended up using Rustler ones on mine.  Even on 2s I think the wheelie bar is a must and the one I ordered from HPI doesn't even fit properly and you need to use your own screws.

I would say I love it now, but was probably my worst out of box experience so far with any brand.

This is pretty interesting. 

I bought a Jumpshot SC on Friday - I had 10 minutes use on grass and it stopped completely. Motor spinning but no contact with spur gear. 

Opened it up and the spur is completely stripped. 

I've just found this forum on a Google search to see why this might have happened. 

The truck is good fun but like I say... Only had 10mins use and now I'm going to need to order a new spur gear.

Seems like the mesh was out from the factory. Not very 'RTR' if you ask me. 

Has anybody ever had any luck 3D printing their own spur gears? Might give it a try. 

20220206_165149.jpg

20220206_153829.jpg

20220206_153820.jpg

Might just be my inexperience but I actually struggled to re-mesh mine and ended up stripping a 2nd spur.  I originally did the strip of paper trick but that left too much of a gap I think and ended up doing the 2nd spur by eye and has been fine since.

Oh and my motor screws seemed to almost strip as well so watch out for that when you replace the spur.

1 hour ago, MrCake said:

Might just be my inexperience but I actually struggled to re-mesh mine and ended up stripping a 2nd spur.  I originally did the strip of paper trick but that left too much of a gap I think and ended up doing the 2nd spur by eye and has been fine since.

Oh and my motor screws seemed to almost strip as well so watch out for that when you replace the spur.

What are your thoughts on an aluminium or steel spur? 

I've seen the price of plastic is £6 and aluminium is £25.

Maybe it's worth the aluminium upgrade by the time we burn through 3-4 spurs... 

2 hours ago, MrCake said:

I only run mine on 2s and it has been absolutely fine with the plastic one.  Guess it depends on what you are doing with yours.

Yeah 2s.

I guess it just comes down to getting them meshed perfectly. Might order a few spares if this becomes a common thing. 

why do you guys not upgrade to a 32 pitch spur gear, I am running an arrma 32 pitch spur gear on mine  with arrma slipper pads, work perfect 

On 08/02/2022 at 17:55, d.lgwth said:

Would this stop it stripping? 

Yes is does because the teeth are bigger,  I am using an 54 tooth spur gear, but with the original motor it is better to use the 57 tooth one because you can not  gear it low enough  with the 54 tooth spur.

The only thing you have to do is dill the hole in the spur a little bigger with a 5mm drill it just to tight but after drilling it fits like a glove and no more stripping gears.

57 tooth AR310405

54 tooth AR310404

slipper pads AR310584