• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Xray X12 120mph+ project

pieman5

Looks good, I've got a similar build. 

I sopke to the guy at Phat and he said the best results from the body is when they are cut back like below. 

Screenshot_20210216-134203_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Alex97

10 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Looks good, I've got a similar build. 

I sopke to the guy at Phat and he said the best results from the body is when they are cut back like below. 

Screenshot_20210216-134203_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, ive done that with another shell (currently mounted to my Spada)

Can try both then and see what works best.

IMG_0916.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pieman5 said:

Yeah, ive done that with another shell (currently mounted to my Spada)

Can try both then and see what works best.

IMG_0916.JPG

I can just fit a 4s in here. I needed to drill a hole to support the track rod however the ESC is only rated for 3s. 

Are you using X-ray gearing? 

20210216_141604.jpg

No im using a kimbrough 32dp spur, its also been converted to a solid axle on the rear rather than running the ball diff.

Your project is looking good, when/where are you planning on running it?

Come on @pieman5 you know you haven't got anything on my Serpent S120 and it's indestructible Hobbywing 60Amp ESC. :insane: :lol:

Seriously though can't wait to run my mini class and see yours run this year. 
I know yours is going to fly. :good:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Come on @pieman5 you know you haven't got anything on my Serpent S120 and it's indestructible Hobbywing 60Amp ESC. :insane: :lol:

Seriously though can't wait to run my mini class and see yours run this year. 
I know yours is going to fly. :good:

You have no right going 87mph on that esc, damn thing should have caught fire ages ago 😂

we'll see how they both do 🙂 Already proven yours is setup nicely, hopefully this gets me a new mini PB after some testing.

• Haha 1

On 19/02/2021 at 11:16, GMballistic said:

I think it'll be your best year for the mini. Can't wait. 😀

Hopefully mate 😄 Will this be the year i crack 100mph with a mini class??? Taken me long enough lol.

Also bringing the 4s Mini 8ight, ive never ran a year without a mini buggy 😂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

You need to change your signature picture now buddy. :lol: 

Great achievement with a mini class car and congrats on the new PB. See you in August and hopefully you'll get that cap. :good: 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2021 at 10:45, GMballistic said:

You need to change your signature picture now buddy. :lol: 

Great achievement with a mini class car and congrats on the new PB. See you in August and hopefully you'll get that cap. :good: 

😂 I'll change it once it has a body shell i actually like the look of lol. The current Strakka was just slapped together with whatever paint i had on hand. Need to buy another really but can't find any in the UK now at all 😕 

Extra 4mph will get me the hat, i think its doable 🙂 You changing anything with your Serpent? Finally a better esc? 😛 

• Like 1

Just now, pieman5 said:

You changing anything with your Serpent? Finally a better esc? 😛 

Probably going to leave it at home this time just so I can concentrate on the Limitless more than anything as well as trying to get the Typhon into the 130's. 

My aim with the Serpent though is to get a better ESC yes and try to get it sorted for next years events. Hopefully going from what the current ESC has achieved with a decent ESC it might be enough to push it over the ton hopefully. 

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

Probably going to leave it at home this time just so I can concentrate on the Limitless more than anything as well as trying to get the Typhon into the 130's. 

My aim with the Serpent though is to get a better ESC yes and try to get it sorted for next years events. Hopefully going from what the current ESC has achieved with a decent ESC it might be enough to push it over the ton hopefully. 

I always bring any "working" car i have just in case i end up breaking what i want to focus on lol. Its a worst case scenario but you should bring it anyway 😉 

Shame what happened to your limitless at the last event, i can't believe how bent the body got. Me and Jim were just like how on earth did that not break / crack lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pieman5 said:

I always bring any "working" car i have just in case i end up breaking what i want to focus on lol. Its a worst case scenario but you should bring it anyway 😉 

Shame what happened to your limitless at the last event, i can't believe how bent the body got. Me and Jim were just like how on earth did that not break / crack lol

It's definitely got some battle scars now.  :lol: 

Yep you're right I'll throw the Serpent in with my other cars just in case. Might even bring my Losi truggy in case it rains as don't mind running that in the rain. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • pieman5 changed the title to Xray X12 120mph+ project
  • 2 months later...

Next update to this project.

I was looking at the rear of it and just thinking there was a lot of wasted space there. So i started experimenting with removing all the spacers and swapping the ball diff to a spur mount and a custom solid axle.

The overall idea behind this was to fit a MUCH longer motor in it for more power and to work with more gearing.

I drew up the parts (just using google sketchup) and saved as a dxf so i could send them off to be made.

1465251633_xraywiderear.png.17e7babb87f3df07ad9be7043ab39539.png

688150871_xraywidetopbar.png.6cc3c1a3ac54430c296a37457ef82550.png

I have used Fibrelyte for a while now to do my carbon fibre parts and they are always very helpful and very good value too.

I had the parts made from 2.5mm carbon and the postie shoved them through my door a few days ago.

IMG_0108.thumb.JPG.c4626d983ae4efdba71be003af63417d.JPG

I always worry that custom parts a draw up will never quite be the right dimensions but i spent quite a while measuring all this up and it was all a perfect fit 🙂

Previously the maximum motor length i could fit was 52mm, now its gone up to 68mm. This means i can now run a 3635 TP power motor which is 65mm long and rated at 1400W continuous Vs 800W with the old motor.

Huge power increase so hoping for a big PB next year WOOOO!!!

IMG_0110.JPG.3be39cc9eec62c3b4a7e292d9fcb319d.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG.8300dba2ccc82f9881dec7884c55b503.JPG

• Like 2