• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Tracer / HBX 16890?

bertberr

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've just upgraded our spare tracer with a brushless 2835 4500kv motor, 35a esc and a three wire servo, first issue, 28mm motor has the 3.1mm shaft, 390 brushed motor has the smaller shaft, so needed a new pinion, after a failed measure/calculation I ordered 48p. It did run on the 48p but noisy, laggy and not happy, so we stopped for further investigation.  I then purchased a vernier, checked again and ran the numbers ( 9.53 / 14t ) and can now share the pitch is mod 0.6, so now on the hunt for some. The rest was easy, just be aware the servo is a MINI not a micro, screwed that up too ended up buying the FTX brushless servo for peace of mind.

Has anyone seen any other motor mounts for this chassis?  Stock brushed one states 14t on it, so i wondered if anyone knows of any others or any other models that use the same chassis with a brushless setup?  

I took the stock esc from the Tracer and tried that in a A979 which came with the crapest ESC's ever and it ran ok for about five mins, then smelt bad and kept cuttting out, so the tracer stock esc doesnt like 540 brushed motors, would have been a cheap fix but not this time.  Ended up fitting a 60A brushed esc that was the original upgrade on the Outlaw when that fried the ESC way back, so at least it didnt go to waste and the A979 runs for more than 30 secs!! is way faster than the tracer,  no need for brushless although doesnt handle that well,  needs proper shocks and less play in the steering.

Still not tried the BS803 with e MAX6 esc / 3670  2650kv on 4s due to a warped spur gear, how do you warp a metal spur gear fixed to the driveshaft? no idea how that happened, something else on the shopping list.

Thanks, Mark.

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8862.jpg

Edited by Microspeed
  • Like 3

Me and the kids have been enjoying our little Tracer so much that when I saw the MT version for sale in the window of Antics the other day I just couldn't resist 😁

IMG20220219163701IMG20220219214017

I've made zero changes to our original truggy version and it's still going strong. I've also been busy designing a battery tray to fit WLTOYS 2200-2700mah 2s packs. Loads of runtime!! 🙂

IMG_20220221_082416

• Like 2

Batteries on charge! Can't wait to get this little lot out!

IMG_20220222_135937

Can anyone tell me whether the motor mount is adjustable? I feel like they need a little more speed and I'm hoping I can just fit a bigger opinion. I'd rather not go brushless if I can avoid it.

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 3

The two I’ve opened up have fixed mounts, they are plastic and could be slotted ( not sure I could without ruining it ) but then the side guard gets in the way of fitting a bigger pinion, to cut that would mean opening up the pinion/spur to the outside world.

The conversion I’ve just finished is roughly 50% faster than the brushed version, it cocks a wheel or two on a rolling pull but the brakes are way to strong, flips end over end with ease. Steering is so much more skittish, randomly pulling left or right and my boy struggled to line up a jump, so pro and cons I suppose. 

It would give my outlaw a good race on short grass or on road, no chance of a straight line race, it would be carnage!!  ( oil shocks on the shopping list )

If there isn’t a cyclone this weekend I’ll get some vids. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

The two I’ve opened up have fixed mounts, they are plastic and could be slotted ( not sure I could without ruining it ) but then the side guard gets in the way of fitting a bigger pinion, to cut that would mean opening up the pinion/spur to the outside world.

The conversion I’ve just finished is roughly 50% faster than the brushed version, it cocks a wheel or two on a rolling pull but the brakes are way to strong, flips end over end with ease. Steering is so much more skittish, randomly pulling left or right and my boy struggled to line up a jump, so pro and cons I suppose. 

It would give my outlaw a good race on short grass or on road, no chance of a straight line race, it would be carnage!!  ( oil shocks on the shopping list )

If there isn’t a cyclone this weekend I’ll get some vids. 

Good info, thanks. I have the MERV for crazy speeds, I'd like to keep the speed modest on the Tracers so that kids can't get carried away. I think 2 teeth more on the pinion would do it but I guess that isn't an option 🤔

I have just put a racestar 4500kv in mine and I haven't Benn out with it yet but it's definitely faster.Like you I don't want crazy speeds so hopefully this should be good.No the mesh isn't adjustable as mentioned but I am sure it could be done.I reckon with a 2s this will be crazy.

16456016012955293247060328551123.jpg

Edited by martin34
  • Like 2

oh lordy, can someone please stop me buying RC cars, please? I think my wife is going to kill me when 3 (THREE) different cars arrive from China in a few weeks.  😨

I started out innocently enough, looking for basher mods for a WLToys 144001, but I kept finding people saying the HBX 16889 was best at that sort of thing, and that the Pro version was even better.  I tried to fight the urge..  I tried to convince myself that the 144001 was enough..  I've already bought two rock crawlers that're in the post - they'll be enough!  For rocks.

One of those 3 cars is an HBX 16889A Pro.  😀

Edited by voorsk
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's arrived!  13 days isn't bad going.  🙂

IMG_16032022_174146_(1080_x_608_pixel).thumb.jpg.854d96393ddd2b2efd19912c163d5b24.jpg

I'd give it a test drive, but it's getting dark and it's raining..  How water resistant are these things?  🙄

• Like 1

I was all prepared to apply some conformal coating, but it turns out that it's already got lashings of the stuff!

IMG_17032022_101008_(608_x_1081_pixel).thumb.jpg.e8737e240b9783b7b9c68a414c7826c5.jpg

That's looking pretty waterproof to me.  Kinda looks like the servo's sealed, too.  😀

I'm not sure how I managed to bend that servo pin.  😮

Hello all 

So I am really thinking about getting one and as this would be my first I am thinking of getting a brush motor version on modelsport rather than the Pro on Banggood.

Other reason for that is I want to tinker, mod and upgrade, so by buying the pro I would rob myself of learning this.

Besides from upgrading the shocks is it worth upgrading anything else? I am thinking is it worth ordering metal driveshafts etc? 

Also what is the biggest non lipo batter I can for into this? As I'd like 2 batteries, one that comes with the car and a larger one.

Finally let's see some of yours, I need the inspiration!

Mine and my boys.Apart from the shocks you really don't need anything.My truggy one is brushless(not the pro brushless set up but my own system fitted)and neither of them have broken anything yet even with being driven flat out into walls.Oh apart from bodyshells that are very brittle.

20220312_094813.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shahidali619 said:

Hello all 

So I am really thinking about getting one and as this would be my first I am thinking of getting a brush motor version on modelsport rather than the Pro on Banggood.

Other reason for that is I want to tinker, mod and upgrade, so by buying the pro I would rob myself of learning this.

Besides from upgrading the shocks is it worth upgrading anything else? I am thinking is it worth ordering metal driveshafts etc? 

Also what is the biggest non lipo batter I can for into this? As I'd like 2 batteries, one that comes with the car and a larger one.

Finally let's see some of yours, I need the inspiration!

I've not upgraded anything on either of mine yet, they're tough little trucks right out of the box! I run WLTOYS 2700mah 2s packs using my own battery tray which I sell on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224849597899?mkevt=1&mkcid=16&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0