• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Tracer / HBX 16890?

bertberr

47 minutes ago, bertberr said:

How are these working out?  What is the outer diameter and width?  Is there much offset to prevent them from hitting the knuckles? 

Dimensions are here:

https://www.fastrax-rc.com/index.php?_route_=fastrax-1-16-stinger-mounted-8-sp-black-revo-summ-sav-xs

The offset is very wide, doesn't rub on the knuckle or the body shell. They have a lot more grip than the stock tyres, less roll over because of the extra width and slightly higher top speed.

But, also turns the car into a wheelie/back flip monster. A full throttle launch will put the car on its roof every time. I prefer it as it makes the car more exciting but its more difficult to drive. Also the shocks bottom out before the chassis but I'm not too worried on a light car like this. 

Quadifyrc has a upgrade comparison for the pro version. https://www.quadifyrc.com/rccarreviews/hbx-16889a-pro-review-i-think-this-is-the-best-small-basher-ive-ever-had

One thing I have noticed is the rear dog bones are a tiny bit too long, under full compression they jam the outdrives. I've put an oring on the shock shaft to stop this. 

Like bump stops to stop the shocks bottoming out I imagine. O ring or some nitro fuel tube would do it.

Remove the bottom ball end, stick the whatever on the shaft, ball end back on and done 👍🏻

Oh and if merv wheels work then any 1/10 buggy rears should work.

Edited by Ross9999992
  • Like 1

You could try some of the LC Racing EMB monster truck or truggy wheels. Both of these have the same outer diameter as normal 1:10 buggy wheels but they have more offset to give you a wider stance and improve clearance around the mounting points. 

• Like 1

@bertberr

I bought (in order)

Oil shocks

Proper wheel axle kits

Metal diffs front and rear (packed with grease)

Metal diff cups

Metal drive shafts (cant remember if the front or the rear where plastic)

Thinner main drive shaft with metal gears and metal spur gear.

Also bought a motor heatsink that didn't fit.

My final attempt at making the whole drive train metal failed, along with not having metal wheels

I bought some 'expensive'  12mm, anodised orange, locking wheel hexes (5mm)

After trying to fit them, I realised the 5mm related to the axle size not the depth of the hex.

Felt really stupid!

I'm sure a 12mm x 4mm locking wheel hex would prevent the pins from falling out ?

Edited by Captain Howdy
  • Thanks 1

Grabbed the 16889A Pro the other day as it dropped to £79 briefly.   Arrived today and while it all looks fine, it came in what looks like a 16889 box and manual??  Is this the norm?

Car seems to have the oil shocks, metal CVA/dog bones etc plus LiPo  so it appears that the car is correct?  Assume this is lazy packaging? 

2 hours ago, MrCake said:

Grabbed the 16889A Pro the other day as it dropped to £79 briefly.   Arrived today and while it all looks fine, it came in what looks like a 16889 box and manual??  Is this the norm?

Car seems to have the oil shocks, metal CVA/dog bones etc plus LiPo  so it appears that the car is correct?  Assume this is lazy packaging? 

Yes, my flyhal came with the manual for the hbx truggy. They don't seem to have bothered writing a new one. 

• Like 1

You can get a 1500mah 2S LiIo pack from Banggood for 12/13 quid, same as what you get with the BL versions of the truck, last for ages, 20-30 mins or so depending on usage.  I also just use some little 800/900mah 2S LiPos that I used to use in my Blade 200QX quad, don't quite fit the compartment length ways, but I just have it so they're propped up on the front lip of the compartment and use the existing velcro strap to tension them down. Never come out or had any problems.  But if I was buying new, then I'd just get the ones I mentioned above.

https://uk.banggood.com/HBX-M16120T-7_4V-1500mAh-15C-2S-Li-ion-Battery-JSB-or-T-Plug-for-16889-Brushed-Brushless-RC-Car-Vehicles-p-1675526.html?akmClientCountry=GB&cur_warehouse=CN&ID=6288816

On 15/11/2021 at 18:47, Captain Howdy said:

@bertberr

I bought (in order)

Oil shocks

Proper wheel axle kits

Metal diffs front and rear (packed with grease)

Metal diff cups

Metal drive shafts (cant remember if the front or the rear where plastic)

Thinner main drive shaft with metal gears and metal spur gear.

Also bought a motor heatsink that didn't fit.

My final attempt at making the whole drive train metal failed, along with not having metal wheels

I bought some 'expensive'  12mm, anodised orange, locking wheel hexes (5mm)

After trying to fit them, I realised the 5mm related to the axle size not the depth of the hex.

Felt really stupid!

I'm sure a 12mm x 4mm locking wheel hex would prevent the pins from falling out ?

Do you actually have to use the metal diff outdrive cups?  My stock plastic ones are still just fine.  Or are they slightly different shape/size and needed to work with the front CVD's? Thanks

There's a load of upgrade parts for it (see above), but apart from the lousy friction shocks, I don't consider any of them 'essential'.  The option oil shocks are quite good and are less than a tenner for all four, so I'd definitely go with those.  I've had mine almost 9 months and it's been royally abused over that time by myself and my daughter and apart from a broken rear wing (now repaired), nothing has broken, and it's still bone stock apart from the shocks. Having said that I have just ordered the metal front cvd set, the diff outdrives and the metal rear axles, mainly because I can see one of the daft little screws that hold the wheels on being the most likely failure point on the truck, and I enjoy tinkering... 😁

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bertberr said:

You can get a 1500mah 2S LiIo pack from Banggood for 12/13 quid, same as what you get with the BL versions of the truck, last for ages, 20-30 mins or so depending on usage.  I also just use some little 800/900mah 2S LiPos that I used to use in my Blade 200QX quad, don't quite fit the compartment length ways, but I just have it so they're propped up on the front lip of the compartment and use the existing velcro strap to tension them down. Never come out or had any problems.  But if I was buying new, then I'd just get the ones I mentioned above.

https://uk.banggood.com/HBX-M16120T-7_4V-1500mAh-15C-2S-Li-ion-Battery-JSB-or-T-Plug-for-16889-Brushed-Brushless-RC-Car-Vehicles-p-1675526.html?akmClientCountry=GB&cur_warehouse=CN&ID=6288816

Thanks, that one is Lithium Ion which I have in the original version but the Pro comes with a LiPo now.  There was a model recommended on quadifyrc but it seems later versions have changed and it no longer fits.  I thought it would be easy to find a small LiPo with at least 100MAH but it is a bit of a struggle. 

37 minutes ago, MrCake said:

I thought it would be easy to find a small LiPo with at least 100MAH but it is a bit of a struggle. 

When I was trying to find small packs that would fit into my Q901 and XLF F16 I found the battery search on hobby king really helpful. This has a bunch of options to filter the list of all the batteries they stock including options for the length/width/height which let me work out which ones would fit into the space I had. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html

1 hour ago, BigGinge said:

When I was trying to find small packs that would fit into my Q901 and XLF F16 I found the battery search on hobby king really helpful. This has a bunch of options to filter the list of all the batteries they stock including options for the length/width/height which let me work out which ones would fit into the space I had. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html

Oh that is fantastic, thanks for that!

14 hours ago, MrCake said:

Thanks, that one is Lithium Ion which I have in the original version but the Pro comes with a LiPo now.  There was a model recommended on quadifyrc but it seems later versions have changed and it no longer fits.  I thought it would be easy to find a small LiPo with at least 100MAH but it is a bit of a struggle. 

I run both LiIo and LiPo in this truck, and there's really very little discernible difference between the two IMO,   If you do find a decent lipo that fits then do share it on here.

On 22/11/2021 at 18:41, everclear1984 said:

Ordered mine today 🙂 Can somebody share the dimensions of the battery tray please?

Not sure I would trust my own measurements but this https://www.quadifyrc.com/rccarreviews/hbx-16889a-pro-review-i-think-this-is-the-best-small-basher-ive-ever-had says 

"55mm long and 30mm wide. If you are looking for a replacement battery you can go up to 40mm wide and 60mm long if you remove the foam spacer"

• Like 1