• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High Speed Car Base...RTR Arrma Felony/Infraction Vs Limitless Vs others?!

Derka

I'm wanting a larger scale on road car primarily for speed runs.

Can you build a Limitless with similar speed/power performance as the RTR Infraction or Felony? I'm asking as I assume for max speed, the Limitless aerodynamics are going to be way better than the Infraction and Felony?

That said, a low slung RTR Mojave or EBX Mojave could be a possible, like the rest of the line up for speed runs but the Kraton/Typhon/Talion would be more usable for general bashing but I do have an Xmaxx for that and short course bodies are not great aerodynamicly but I'm not familiar with the Arrma models to know whether there are major differences between platforms other than wheels, bodies, shocks and suspension arms. 

Let me know your thoughts...

Edited by Derka

Either will go way over 100mph (not on stock electrics though), the diffrence in "aerodynamics" (there's no aero-design) maybe come into play after throwing a grand worth of motor and ESC at them. And even then, at that scale, it's marginal - maybe a few mph at the top end. We're talking at 140+ mph. 

For pure speedruns, i'd get the limitless purely because the electrics in felony and infraction are decent, but by no means anywhere near "max speed". Might as well get a roller and some decent electrics for it, like an MMX8s/1717 combo (good for around 125-130mph easily, do research on youtube). Hobbywing combos aren't liked in speedrunning due to the ESC safeguard protocols that you can't get around - but again, that's the ragged edge. Stay away from the Monster XLX2, it goes poof with certain kind of motors. Wouldn't touch it until it's guaranteed fixed. 

Edited by m4inbrain

Thanks for that info. Some good knowledge to take away in regards to electrics I wasn't aware of.

In terms of aerodynamics I was more concerned with lift at the front, especially the Mojave which you can see on stock electronics due to the body. A tighter fitting body like the buggies seems less prone to it. 

Only thing stopping me is the limited terrain uses

I think the Infraction might be better for speed runs specially if you convert it to a GT style car and sold the stock truck body and electrics. Reason why though I will need to check is the Infraction V2 had a gearing change on its differentials over the V1 and I think the Limitless so you get a slightly better overall top speed, plus from what I've seen is the GT bodys are more aerodynamic than the open wheel design of the Limitless though TBH with a decent esc and motor combo (and batteries) any of them will reach 100 relatively easy.   

Edited by supersavage

• Derka changed the title to High Speed Car Base...RTR Arrma Felony/Infraction Vs Limitless Vs others?!
43 minutes ago, Derka said:

Thanks for that info. Some good knowledge to take away in regards to electrics I wasn't aware of.

In terms of aerodynamics I was more concerned with lift at the front, especially the Mojave which you can see on stock electronics due to the body. A tighter fitting body like the buggies seems less prone to it. 

Only thing stopping me is the limited terrain uses

To be fair, the Mojave isn't a speed running truck. You can turn it into one, of course, but that's not a concern for Felony, Infraction and Limitless. 

40 minutes ago, supersavage said:

I think the Infraction might be better for speed runs specially if you convert it to a GT style car and sold the stock truck body and electrics.

At that point you're already way better off with a limitless. You'll not run stock gearing in either rig. 

A limitless with MMX8s and 1717-1650 will reach 120mph - no other changes. There's videos on youtube of it, like this one.

edit: the combo is good for 150mph+ safely, too. 

I run this in my Kraton EXB, and it's pretty shocking how cool it runs.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

I meant the ring and pinion gear on the differentials when I was talking about gears. As I said above any will easily do 100 with the a decent system and good batteries so I think its just pick the one you like the look of as they probably wont be stock for long.

2 minutes ago, supersavage said:

I meant the ring and pinion gear on the differentials when I was talking about gears. As I said above any will easily do 100 with the a decent system and good batteries so I think its just pick the one you like the look of as they probably wont be stock for long.

They are different, marginally, yes. 

Limitless runs 43/13, Infraction runs 42/15. Diff-gear ratios are 3.31 to 2.8 for the Infraction. 

But: the limitless is much higher geared, final gear ratio of 2.13-5.86, whereas the Infraction runs 4.60-9.90. 

And yeah, with a good system either will run 120mph no problem. Though me personally, i'd take the Limitless due to being no-frills. I love the handbrake on the Infraction, but for a speed running car it's added weight (or wasted money, or a potential hazard). 

• Like 1

I'm mainly going off of what I've seen a lot of people doing on youtube and using the Infraction as a base.

I keep looking at that Castle system and will probably get one but I can't decide whether I want to put it in my Infraction or the Felony as I still can't decide on what I want to do or where to go with the Felony. 

1 hour ago, supersavage said:

I'm mainly going off of what I've seen a lot of people doing on youtube and using the Infraction as a base.

I keep looking at that Castle system and will probably get one but I can't decide whether I want to put it in my Infraction or the Felony as I still can't decide on what I want to do or where to go with the Felony. 

That one, for me, would be easy - the Infraction. For one reason, again. It's simpler. The Felony front and rear diff are different to accommodate the different wheel sizes - Infraction wheels are f/r same size.

The combo is great, honestly. Just flat out better than Max6+Motor. If it weren't so expensive (and it's pretty steep, admittedly), i'd replace the Max6 in my X-Maxx too, no hesitation.

• Like 1