• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fastest Banzai

Redback

Hey your well in front of me, you have the car, built and started testing, my car wont arrive till mid week, then motor and esc will be a couple more weeks, but well done to you for getting this far ☺️

As for what speed your getting, i think maybe closer to 60, it can be deceptive, you also bring up a point i have totally overlooked regarding it lifting of if air gets under shell, could be an issue with my rig

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, after speaking to Jack, going to go with the speed flea, but not sure about its durability with damp roads and spray, so might end up going for a skyrc speed meter later for that. Battery wise im a bit stuck, there's limited 100c discharge 4s lipo, most are 50c that seems like it wont be enough. Interesting you think its already over 50mph, like you say the speed can be deceptive.
Hard to say how much of an impact the mods will make to lift as there will still be some air distortion around the wheel arches, and the wheels are keeping it far more planted that on standard plastic rims.

• Like 1

Few more runs today, no crashes, did well doing a hill climb.
Didnt get a weight read with it as stock but the car is currently weighting in at 2.317 kg with a shorty 3s.
With the underpan fitted, can now fit 2 batteries either side, didnt build it with this in mind, so if i do go this route might need a bit more stiffness.

6s lol 🥴

IMG_20210131_200549.thumb.jpg.bc4a1baa4036c58e780f1344d3cbdfaf.jpg

Added some foam to prevent the posts smashing through the shell like yesterday, should have thought of it from the start.

I dont have a 4s pack or charger yet, i didnt really plan on putting much if any money into making this thing amazing it was supposed to be a budget build from parts i already have, but for speed runs, i dont really want to be running 300+g of extra battery weight also.
The motor gets warm right now, the motor and power wires get hotter than the motor, my 4mm to 3mm converters might be the bottleneck, itching to put in the 4s motor... but to be fair on Jack ill wait for his to arrive 😜
Should i pull the xerun 8  from sale and put it in this? or would that be cheating?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

before trying 4s wait till you get a speed logger and see what its doing, once you have numbers then decide what else to do to it, i will be starting my Strada on 2s, then 3s and hopefully 4s at end

Unless i run 2x 2s i will have to wait, will order logger should arrive this week.

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

Most the the speed guys run a smaller battery to reduce weight, you only really need enough for a few runs. 

Yes im currently running a 3s shorty for 4s im looking at this as i cant find a shorty pack.
5000mAh 4S 14.8v 100C LiPo Battery - Overlander Extreme Pro
£109.23
What would you guys reccomend?

3 minutes ago, Redback said:

Unless i run 2x 2s i will have to wait, will order logger should arrive this week.

Yes im currently running a 3s shorty for 4s im looking at this as i cant find a shorty pack.
5000mAh 4S 14.8v 100C LiPo Battery - Overlander Extreme Pro
£109.23
What would you guys reccomend?

Thats a pretty big lipo and a lot of weight, smaller is better as already said for speed runs, this is why i want to use my 2650 4s packs, but they are only rated to 20-30C

13 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Thats a pretty big lipo and a lot of weight, smaller is better as already said for speed runs, this is why i want to use my 2650 4s packs, but they are only rated to 20-30C

Yeah exactly, i know its big but ideally i want to use the battery in other trucks too the only other real choice is a 2500 spectrum for the same price, so this will do.
Charger, battery, speedo ordered.

2 minutes ago, Redback said:

Yeah exactly, i know its big but ideally i want to use the battery in other trucks too the only other real choice is a 2500 spectrum for the same price, so this will do.
Charger, battery, speedo ordered.

loads of different lipo`s out there, look on Hobbyking for the cost of that overlander you could get 2 or maybe 3 lipo`s arounf 3-4000mah about 60C if you do just make sure you order from UK shop

18 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

loads of different lipo`s out there, look on Hobbyking for the cost of that overlander you could get 2 or maybe 3 lipo`s arounf 3-4000mah about 60C if you do just make sure you order from UK shop

Indeed looking again now i think a couple of 4s drone packs might have been better. that 4s pack probably wont even fit, its also almost the weight of 2x 7000mha 2s lipos. 641g
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/305466/

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/327647/

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/271448/

Corrected my mistake and ordered 2x 1600mha 4s 100c that ill run in parrallel

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

After getting some benchmarks on stock gearing its time to start modding.
Found a better spot for the max 10 esc, the xerun wont fit without a bit of trimming.

IMG_20210202_215502.thumb.jpg.c982c2d2420c78b1017f543d1e4b78b3.jpg
Getting ready to cut the chassis for longer motor cans, put propper oil in the diffs, and some diffrent pinions and spurs.

Some weights for those intrested.
Body with repairs ¬129g.
Chassis without driveshaft and battery holder ¬782g.
Max 10 stc and 3652 motor¬ 352g.
Weighted wheels ¬ 600g.
Underpan & diffuser ¬ 144g.

Stiffend the underpan will probably do a v2 with more material, the rear fenders bolt to the rear shock tower, the front are fixed to the top chassis brace, now strong enough to hold some big batteries.
IMG_20210202_215705.thumb.jpg.75d985bc78d62b0b10a607290e5e0a54.jpg

Also being held back by the amount of traction being lost on micro bumps, going to swap out the wheels and tires to road. 43mph max punch.

zoomie.thumb.gif.31998caabd2ac27bbad88caa2c588def.gif

Gave 4s a little try just to get a base mark and see how the motor did with 60/100c 300g extra weight, got 38mph. Seemed like the esc didnt want to push the motor any harder and bogged out at the top end.

The adventure continues thank you for reading.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Alex97 said:

why not go to foams, cheap rubber tires are no good for speed runs. Contact seem to be the most popular. 

Because the roads around here are like gravel so would shred and destroy the foams after a single pass. Foams will come much later on. No point wearing out expensive foams doing testing and having fun.

• Like 1

Chassis chopped, motor spur and pinion changed, diffs oiled, lighter beadlocks, sadly the road tires didnt fit on any beadlock so will have to be super super glued on.

IMG_20210205_105259.thumb.jpg.5314a5f27aebcd969b24afd83a249351.jpg

Gave the new setup a little blast, its got more to give, i just wasnt able to deliver it / handel it so held back.

IMG_20210205_135322.thumb.jpg.2d5177ac05347915b73d7b1f63d39a4b.jpg

Close but still no cigar!

I would have thought the pinion and spur changes would have easly made it much much faster, moved from 30t stock to 29t 32dp the outer diameter on the 49t 32dp appears to be the same as a 74t 48dp and thats the same size as the stock one umm 😞
Where do i go next, smaller can higher kv motor? When i go back to road tires and foams its going to downgear it quite a bit.
Pinion cant get much bigger or it will start hitting parts of the chassis need a much smaller spur that can be run on a slipper.

• Like 2

On 05/02/2021 at 18:12, Jack Reacher said:

I think we could both do with some advice on motor kv ratings, i dont think a really high say, 7000 would work but maybe a 4300 might be a step up, i wonder if @Alex97 and @GMballistic can comment on this, you already have a 120amp esc so that helps

For sure, any advice is alway welcome, share the knowledge and fun. I moved from a  520 3300kv on 120a esc that hit 43mph and am now running a 5mm shaft 560 4300kv motor, on a 140a esc sensored.
It has more power and speed to give, and i have yet to enable the turbo timing boost and messing with motor timings.
Still find it hard to see how its going to hit 70 let alone 60 with out a smaller diameter spur.
Wondering if this would fit but no idea on shaft diameter looks a bit big maybe.
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/329120/

Edited by Redback
I can't spell

39 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I cant help on spur gears, i think the strada can go to a 27t spur from 19 stock.........and why do different makers use different pitches so we are always buying pinions 

It's mainly due to different applications. 

48dp is common on 10th scale off road while 64dp is more common in 10th onroad. 

With greater power and size you tend to get lower pitch gears to handle the power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

I think we could both do with some advice on motor kv ratings, i dont think a really high say, 7000 would work but maybe a 4300 might be a step up, i wonder if @Alex97 and @GMballistic can comment on this, you already have a 120amp esc so that helps

I'm no expert at all however people have ran the higher KV surpass motors on 3 and 4s and they see to hold up ok. Don't forget a speed run usually only lasts less than a minute or so on a straight flat road so I'd imagine it's less strain on the motor Vs when bashing. 

My current issue is trying to find a small 4s ESC. 

• Like 1

I would look at weight less than size, i swapped from a ezrun max 10 stc thats waterproof / potted to a xerun 8 stc that is not waterproof / potted.

The xerun thats more powerful and a tiny bit bigger than the ezrun and its bigger motor combined weights 1g less than the ezrun with a small 3520 motor combined. Huge power to weight shift there.

34 minutes ago, Redback said:

I would look at weight less than size, i swapped from a ezrun max 10 stc thats waterproof / potted to a xerun 8 stc that is not waterproof / potted.

The xerun thats more powerful and a tiny bit bigger than the ezrun and its bigger motor combined weights 1g less than the ezrun with a small 3520 motor combined. Huge power to weight shift there.

Did you find the higher amp ESC was any better?