• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fastest Banzai

Redback

46 minutes ago, Redback said:

There are no mounts, the wheel arches are way higher than they should be the body is resting on the shock towers if i used mounts it would be higher up.

Yeah looks like an awkward issue to fix. 

Obviously you don't have to cut the wheel arches to the marks on the body so my thought is it still could be made to fit but without seeing it in person it is a little hard to judge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Make a flat plastic base to go on each set of mounts and use sticky back velcro, neat solution and no posts sticking out job done

This wont work as noted there are no mounts the shock posts are to high and cause the body to be to high.

43 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Obviously you don't have to cut the wheel arches to the marks on the body so my thought is it still could be made to fit but without seeing it in person it is a little hard to judge. 

True but i did want the front as low as possible to stop air undercutting, ideally i want it to sit how it should anything higher shifts the CoG. I dont want the shock towers poking through also. Going to take some 🤔 to get right.

57 minutes ago, tomr said:

Is it possible to move the upper shock mounts inwards and cut the shock tower down  ?

The front shocks stick out raising the body, I will need to fabricate a new front and rear shock mount to pull the shocks back somewhat.

2 hours ago, GMballistic said:

I was only considering cutting the front for some steering, would keeping the back covered help with airflow or make it balloon and take off?

Just now, Redback said:

I was only considering cutting the front for some steering, would keeping the back covered help with airflow or make it balloon and take off?

Causes parachuting sometimes/a lot of the time.
You're better off cutting out the back of the shell as much as possible. This is how the back of my Serpent S120LTX speed runner looks...

30.thumb.jpg.9d3b7d0e909ce49feca1826b4135f9b0.jpg

Regarding the issue with the body shell and shocks/shock towers I know a lot of speed runners in various scales who don't run any shocks at all with great success. Could make cutting down the towers easier if you didn't use shocks and just had tie rods instead. 
As an example you can see on Mark's car here he has no front shocks and just use tie rods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GMballistic said:

Great stuff @Redback .

Very happy some inventive thinking got the shell on nicely, ...now you just need to decide on a nice bright paintjob. :good:

Just finished painting first coat and yep its very bright. Will post in a bit, not good at panting shells this is only the 2nd ive done. Came out better than the gatekeeper atleast haha.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Redback said:

Didnt consider running without shocks, rather keep them for the time being and modify lightly to get the body to work.
Thank you for the cutting advice! this body has a pretty big cutout area as it is, will see how it runs and cut out more if needed.
All changes made with stock hardware no extra screws or longer ones needed...

Flipped around the front shock tower mounted it behind the diff, this pulls the top of the shock towers back allowing the bonnet to sit were it should.
Also flipped around the lower arms to allow use of the sway bar mounting hole for the shocks. Cut the foam bumper back a bit...

IMG_20210314_000114.thumb.jpg.02601916b5d30bc2debd69016d6b1192.jpg

Cut the rear shock tower tops off and moved mounts, Inwards as cut off the body post mounts.

IMG_20210314_001500.thumb.jpg.ef75c821d24a28ae3624d912db840a39.jpg

Wheels now fill up the wheel holes correctly. And front sits nice and low. 👍

IMG_20210314_000048.thumb.jpg.5c6f9837d34181360811cc28a93b1b4d.jpg

IMG_20210314_003342.thumb.jpg.0b527103eb796ee2f6d61347452da99d.jpg

Wew one less thing to send back 😃

Like a glove 👍 Top work mate 

Edited by tomr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Redback one thing about your new shell, ...I'd ditch the rear wing OR cut it flatter OR replace it with a flat one (if you've got any of that aluminium you had before a straight piece of that should be easy enough to make a spoiler from). 

The reason I say to change it is because the shape of that current wing at some speed will start putting too much pressure on the rear causing the front to lift. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm keen to go again soon, got a few more things i want to address before attempting 80+ again.
Meanwhile i wanted to check if the driveshaft mod would even take 4s full throttle as i dont want a failure during a pass due to lack of testing and have only tested on 3s once.
So spun up the motor on the shelf to see what would happen, here are the results.

unknown.png

Thats max rpm, with all boosts turned up, with only mechanical timing changes left at stock.

Edit: upon watching the video back i can see the dogbone / drive saft bending slightly in the middle or am i just seeing things?

Edited by Redback

@Redback you could put a small O-ring inside your diff cup to take up the slack, ...you don't want to completely eliminate the movement though but you could lessen it a little.  
If you haven't an O-ring that'll fit you could use something else like nitro fuel piping or a small piece of silicone tubing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GMballistic said:

@Redback you could put a small O-ring inside your diff cup to take up the slack, ...you don't want to completely eliminate the movement though but you could lessen it a little.  
If you haven't an O-ring that'll fit you could use something else like nitro fuel piping or a small piece of silicone tubing.  

great minds, i am thinking of adding a small o-ring each end to my vantage, a bit like some tamiya have on the dogbones

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

great minds, i am thinking of adding a small o-ring each end to my vantage, a bit like some tamiya have on the dogbones

I learnt that trick a few years ago from some of the ROSSA speed run guys I run with. Knowledge is power and it's good to spread the wealth. 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...