• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fastest Banzai

Redback

@Redback, @Jack Reacher or anyone else interested in bodyshells from Delta Plastiks USA I know that Paul at "Trackside Spares" is putting together an order which he will be placing very soon. This will be for Delta Plastik USA bodyshells that he imports through their Italian division.  
Just send him an email or ring him to get prices/availability. :good: 

Trackside Spares contact details: https://www.tracksidespares.co.uk/contact-us

Delta Plastiks bodyshells to choose from here: https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/speed-run-bodies?sort_by=price-ascending

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just watched ur youtube vids pal.. my mate did a banzai build few years back and is reached 85mph untill crashed it and lost the sky rc gizmo too which was never found 😒.. i have pics of it somewhere wrote off and still trying find the video for it.. you will reach good speeds deffo.. i cant remember the specs

now and cant ask as no longer speak. but keep pushing an youll recieve your goal of 70mph 

On 31/01/2021 at 00:23, Redback said:

I wondered how fast can you push a cheapish ftx drift car go, build still in progress and no gps or real speed readings yet but here goes. Worth even doing probably not, fun experiment yeah! Maybe the topic should be titled "A clueless attempt at speedrunning a driftcar"

I picked the Banzai as i was looking at the HPI RS4 Sport 3 CE for a rally platform and the FTX being the same price and also shaft driven caught my eye.

Cheap spare parts & shares parts with the outlaw, vantage, carnage, eg the diffs, steering, bearings etc got me thinking about setting it up for rally or speedruns.

IMG_20210124_000214.thumb.jpg.f01d9944cedda53fd87a16cc8efb55ae.jpg

Gave it a go as stock drifting, was good fun and will keep the drift wheels as its a nice change.
Before going to my RW hardened pinion and spurs that are higher geared, given it a blast on the 30t stock pinion on rally block tires so slight over gear at the tires.

IMG_20210124_000735.thumb.jpg.d5f76426cefeacb4a6aeca814e7d1add.jpg

For the motor I started with what i used to use in the outlaw a HW 3652 3200kv & MAX10 SCT on 3s 120c lipo.

IMG_20210128_205941.thumb.jpg.797b9e230e05c9ebebd82e5eae7a3437.jpg

Started doing some test runs tired peeled off the rims after a couple of passes, so now mounted on crawler beadlocks.

No issue with peeling and the extra weight helps plant the power, if rotational mass is good or bad for speed runs i don't know, ive never done this before, just going with what works 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20210130_211041.thumb.jpg.2139cce4e0056d082f354bac15e585a3.jpg

Added a gyro, mounted above the rear diff, mounted in foam for its safety.
Added a skidplate to help a bit with undercar airflow and keep some crud out, simple front diffuser that slides under the foam bumper and a basic rear diffuser.

IMG_20210130_211945.thumb.jpg.cc5feaef37d854d0a6c78eb1e17db06a.jpg

If you snap a body post, it might be saveable with some heatshrink tubing, this one snapped at the base superglue and heatshrink, fixed body post.

IMG_20210130_211743.thumb.jpg.9758199999fa5453d973429fd5a96f5e.jpg

Trying to reduce the amount of lift generated from pressure inside the body by covering the main offenders.

IMG_20210130_211616.thumb.jpg.2826d8c6fa3bf2988a64c179e5fc2565.jpgIMG_20210130_211323.thumb.jpg.01c88ee1d2f9d7dad857a536b27adb8c.jpg

Will move to foam and might take it to ROSSA if its open this year to get some real data and see some real cars in action but till then the experiments will continue on rubber and roads.

No more power system changes till speedo arrives to get a base figure of what the stock gearing can do. Got a 4s motor im keen to try come the summer but need to cut the chassis for it to fit, also got a sensored system that if doesnt sell i might run in this.

What speed do you think it will hit, what speed do you think its currently getting in the videos 50ish mph?
I'm in a competition with myself to at least hit 70mph like JackR is trying with his Maverik Strada chassis. If it hits 100 i'd be amazed.

Famous last words, can i max it... Nope!

59mph wipe out!

Love the thrill of speedruns, hate the horrific crashes that happen, batteries flew out but are luckly all healthy!
No damage to the chassis, will probably need a new wheel or least re glueing, not sure if its good for 100mph without foamies.
4s was very skittish didnt manage to get more than 50% pull, hit 60 before wiping out think i over cooked the steering whilst still accelerating and it bit and flipped.
Luckly new body is on its way, will tape this one up and keep running it, dont want to spoil a new body just yet.

Edited by Redback
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Dam, but really just a minor set back, could of been a lot worse at that speed, keep at it, might be an idea to tape up the lipo`s to protect them a bit 

Oh for sure, it could have been so much worse, as you can hear my laughter, that then turned to terror over the batteries flying about, snapped the cable-tie that had the esc locked down, once cell has a bit of sad resistance now but both charged up fine.
It was a massive fail on my part for not making a proper battery mount and rushing out whilst the weather was fine, then trying to max it on a road i knew wasnt really suitable it was too short and the gps battery is busted so was rushing to get a pass in before it went flat again. on that point any ideas were to get replacment batteries / covers for the skyrc gps meters anyone please?

A gentle reminder how quick it can go bad ,I need to take my time with this I think .

Replacement battery https://nitrohobbies.com/sk-402030/

Looks the same as these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-7V-200mAh-LiPo-1S-Polymer-Rechargeable-Battery-MP3-GPS-Speaker-Watch-402030/193788726102?hash=item2d1eb54b56:g:juoAAOSwunJf9NIM

Probs find them cheaper with a good search about 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's really hard to tell from the video angle but I wondered if you'd maybe got on the throttle a little too fast causing it to lose traction, 4 wheel slide/drift, bite into the tarmac and flip. 

Either way whatever happened it's never a good day but could of been a lot worse if it had continued to roll instead of landing on it's roof and sliding. Bit lucky in that respect. 

Some decent foams cheap enough here if you're interested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC1-10th-Model-Touring-Car-Wheels-Foam-Tyres-42-Sh-26mm-Wide-Gandini-New/303881140744?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

When you get your new body if you can reinforce it using preferably fibre glass or scrim/fibre glass tape and E6000/Shoe Glue it will be better aerodynamically as it won't flex as much but also it will be better because if the worst does happen it offers more protection. 

Hopefully you get it back up and running soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tomr said:

A gentle reminder how quick it can go bad ,I need to take my time with this I think .

Replacement battery https://nitrohobbies.com/sk-402030/

Looks the same as these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-7V-200mAh-LiPo-1S-Polymer-Rechargeable-Battery-MP3-GPS-Speaker-Watch-402030/193788726102?hash=item2d1eb54b56:g:juoAAOSwunJf9NIM

Probs find them cheaper with a good search about 👍

Thank you, will try to find from uk and list otherwise have to try merica. should have taped the cover shut from the start 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

BTW for GPS the speed flea seems to be back in stock

I did think for a moment about it but i want to log and extract the data for analysis and the speedflea doesnt allow this afaik.

2 hours ago, GMballistic said:

It's really hard to tell from the video angle but I wondered if you'd maybe got on the throttle a little too fast causing it to lose traction, 4 wheel slide/drift, bite into the tarmac and flip. 

Either way whatever happened it's never a good day but could of been a lot worse if it had continued to roll instead of landing on it's roof and sliding. Bit lucky in that respect. 

Some decent foams cheap enough here if you're interested: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC1-10th-Model-Touring-Car-Wheels-Foam-Tyres-42-Sh-26mm-Wide-Gandini-New/303881140744?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

When you get your new body if you can reinforce it using preferably fibre glass or scrim/fibre glass tape and E6000/Shoe Glue it will be better aerodynamically as it won't flex as much but also it will be better because if the worst does happen it offers more protection. 

Hopefully you get it back up and running soon. 

Your right i was loosing grip and it was drifting, D/R was on 25% and i tried to correct and it sidewall bit and ripped the tire from the rim, caught my waste of time  front splitter and flipped, if i had had my underpan/skid installed the batteries would not have gone flying out.
Thanks you for the foam link, i have some replacement foams already on the way, will look at these next time!

Going to go on a limb and call a Jaguar near me see if they will let me do a pass on a real bit of track 🤞  before rossa kicks off, also found a carting track with a decent bit of straight to call and some airfields but im not confident about the quality of their runs, usally airport runways are super rough, worth asking about anyway as dont want to go 200miles to be wiping out at rossa wasting a weekend.

I'm feeling roads are just not safe enough for these speeds, and dead roads are to rough and unmaintained these things are leathal weapons and its irresponsible to be trying for 100 on public roads at my skill level atleast.

Either way still left with a smile on my face, knowing the footage would be pretty funny and wiping out is part of the leasson and fun.

• Like 2

New body arrived.... and as per usual ftx issues it doesn't fit. 😢

IMG_20210313_123903.thumb.jpg.ac42f0cfbeded9c0c39884889b083d8c.jpg

Going to have to completely rethink / re design the shock towers if i run this body or another thing to send back.
I kinda wanna make the body work as cant be bothered sending more stuff back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Redback said:

IMG_20210313_123903.thumb.jpg.ac42f0cfbeded9c0c39884889b083d8c.jpg

Going to have to completely rethink / re design the shock towers if i run this body or another thing to send back.
I kinda wanna make the body work as cant be bothered sending more stuff back.

How about a 10 buck set of magnetic mounts, then in a spill maybe the shell will release rather than destroy

1 hour ago, Redback said:

Hard to tell just by looking at the picture but how doesn't it fit?

Are the body post mounts just too short or something else? 

18 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Hard to tell just by looking at the picture but how doesn't it fit?

Are the body post mounts just too short or something else? 

There are no mounts, the wheel arches are way higher than they should be the body is resting on the shock towers if i used mounts it would be higher up.

Edited by Redback