• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Saving money on a Kraton EXB Build

jamaraluke

Hi all,

would it be at all feasible in your opinion to buy a Kraton EXB roller and temporarily install the components from a cheap donor car just to get it going? And progressively update what's required?

I cannot find the diameter of the EXB pinion, to figure out if it would fit on the motor shaft.

Here the specs of the donor parts:

ESC: Hobbywing SC8 RTR 

25 kg metal servo

Dumbo RC X6 Gyro receiver

Motor: KV: 4370 Watts: 550 Max Voltage: 2S Max Current: 46A Max RPM: 50,000 Length: 50mm Outer Diameter (w/fins): 35.8mm Weight: 168g Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm Turns: 9T Rotor (Pole): 2-pole Stator Length: 25mm (motor supports 3s)

New 3S Battery I would purchase separately.

Edited by jamaraluke

Not with those components. On 3S the SC8 is only rated to 4000KV or less. The motor is really meant for a 1/10th scale, you will cook it.

You could try running those parts, but once they go up in smoke, you'll have to replace them anyway which would be a waste imo. Also I would start with 4S, 3S might be a bit pedestrian.

Have a look at something like a Hobbywing MAX8 combo instead.

• Like 1

The ESC is ok personlly i'd want 150a, motor is far too small and you'll want to run 4-6s. 

If you are on a budget then look at this... 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33018347136.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.32.525d45d99itEL2 (1700KV on 4s) 

That ESC should be ok with the above motor just keep an eye on the temps and gear correctly

Hey,

I totally understand and appreciate the thought process behind what you're trying to do here...also when you build a balls to the wall spec and know that's it...it can be all a bit lackluster, the progressive growth is fun eh! 

Anyway, will a 3.175 shaft be adequate for the pinion you intend to use? I attempted similar to you in terms of I had a sacrificial 2845 motor I was going to run in a 1/8 rolling chassis while I wait for my 4274, but pinion and mounting issues threw a spanner in the works. 

Alternatively you could find a cheap motor in the 40XX size and run that until you get the motor you really want. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Guns said:

Id get a cheap black can 4074 sub 2000kv motor, run that TX/RX and ESC on 4S and go from there?

Orrrr

Buy the non EXB RTR Kraton, and upgrade it as you break parts with M2C/ EXB bits?

This. 

Either get the normal Kraton v5, which is a reasonable piece of kit, or get a decent ESC/Motor that's rated for what you're doing. A motor can be had for £50 (Hobbystar/Surpass Hobby Rocket 4274/1650kv), for ESC a Max6 is the cheapest i'd go. None of the components originally suggested by the OP would work in an EXB, apart from the servo. The motor wouldn't last more than 5 minutes, and the ESC isn't rated for a heavy truck like the Kraton either. Should go without saying that a 1/10 buggy/sct setup isn't suitable for a heavy 1/8th truggy. 

That's just me though. 

Another option would be to buy a used Kraton v4 combo (2050kv/BLX185), should be plenty of them around from people who upgraded their Kratons from stock to Max6. 

Edited by m4inbrain

46 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Hey,

I totally understand and appreciate the thought process behind what you're trying to do here...also when you build a balls to the wall spec and know that's it...it can be all a bit lackluster, the progressive growth is fun eh! 

Anyway, will a 3.175 shaft be adequate for the pinion you intend to use? I attempted similar to you in terms of I had a sacrificial 2845 motor I was going to run in a 1/8 rolling chassis while I wait for my 4274, but pinion and mounting issues threw a spanner in the works. 

Alternatively you could find a cheap motor in the 40XX size and run that until you get the motor you really want. 

A 380 motor wouldn't move a 1/8 and if it did I couldn't imagine it would last long. 

8 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

A 380 motor wouldn't move a 1/8 and if it did I couldn't imagine it would last long. 

That did cross my mind, it's a sacrificial motor out of my Xinlehong Q902 so for giggles I wouldn't have minded it burning out 😁 or seeing how long it can survive. 

I’d save even more and get this 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/corally-kronos-xp-6s-monster-truck-1-8-lwb-brushless-rtr/rc-car-products/444328

.or the newer version 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/corally-kronos-xp-6s-monster-truck-1-8-lwb-brushless-rtr-2021/rc-car-products/1334794

Almost the same as the Arrma rtr but cheaper and by the looks almost as good as well 👍