• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

maverick Strada`s budget speed runs for all

Lone-wolf

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

Great to hear you're venturing into doing some speed runs. I love it. 

For tyres I think you're best off with foams for 1/10th but some rubber tyres were recommended to me when I was running 1/10th but I can't remember what they were, ... @pieman5 do you remember? Was it Sorex?

Yeah either Sorex 28R or 32R. I have ran them up to 94mph and a few others have gone over 100 with no issues. Personally these are always my preference if aiming for speeds under 100 as i found they gave more grip over foams once they had some heat in them.

For foams you can't really go too far wrong. If you are looking to get to 70 and then stop, id look at running 37 or 40 shore. If eventually wanting to push further you'll want 42 or 45.

Im curious as to why you chose a Strada to do this with? An old Xray or Schumacher race chassis would have been more suitable in my opinion, but good luck anyway. I'll keep watch for your progress 👍

Edited by pieman5
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, pieman5 said:

Yeah either Sorex 28R or 32R. I have ran them up to 94mph and a few others have gone over 100 with no issues. Personally these are always my preference if aiming for speeds under 100 as i found they gave more grip over foams once they had some heat in them.

For foams you can't really go too far wrong. If you are looking to get to 70 and then stop, id look at running 37 or 40 shore. If eventually wanting to push further you'll want 42 or 45.

Im curious as to why you chose a Strada to do this with? An old Xray or Schumacher race chassis would have been more suitable in my opinion, but good luck anyway. I'll keep watch for your progress 👍

Many thanks for the input, good to have you on board, will look into Sorex tyres, as for the Strada, i am first to admit its not the best choice, but also this is a low rent project for fun, its not a serious speed project and i feel pretty confident of hitting the goal speed of 70, any more is gonna be either a bonus or a plain simple car killer

7 hours ago, Redback said:

Looks fast, looking forward to seeing it fly!
What motor you gone for to push it to 70?

For now its a surpass hobby 3660 3300kv, just cheap motor for testing, may upgrade it at a later date, here is a odd thing, 5200mah 2s lipo does not really fit, but the 2650mah 4s fits like a glove

34 minutes ago, NOFX said:

Can you decase the ESC? I've done it to fit high amp ESCs in 16th scale before. 

Not heard of doing this but think if it wont fit i will just have to order more parts and sell the new unused bits, i might be lucky maybe banggood have got dimensions wrong

Edited by Jack Reacher

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Not heard of doing this but think if it wont fit i will just have to order more parts and sell the new unused bits, i might be lucky maybe banggood have got dimensions wrong

I've not taken a case off but I had to completely remove my fan from a Hobbywing ESC to get it to fit in my 1/12th Serpent speed runner, ...don't really need the fan if you're sensible, keep an eye on temps and only do a single pass. 

There are all sorts of little tricks speed runners do to get ESC's etc to fit in smaller scale vehicles or just ones without a lot of space. 

What's it look like under the shell, ...any pics?
Do the chassis sides reach all the way to the edge of the bodyshell is what I am looking to know? 

Edited by GMballistic

Looking at that @Jack Reacherstraight away I can see you do have space to work with. It's just going to depend on whether you're willing to cut and modify the chassis.

I've marked the wasted space that you can use in red. 
If it was my build firstly I'd cut the side lips off the chassis. Then I'd buy some carbon fibre plate from eBay to use as chassis extenders. 
On the battery side it will give you more room for larger capacity or simply wider batteries and on the motor/servo side it will give you the extra room to fit a larger ESC.

1878460018_stradachassis(2).thumb.JPG.e6566c6dea17ded90be2c71e6b4ac8ad.jpg.d9bace055ce17a1f93b87cf0f7d38be0.jpg

This is an eBay seller I have just recently used and bought two of these carbon fibre 2.5mm thick plates for a build I am working on. UK seller and not a bad price tbh. 
Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-3K-Carbon-Fibre-Composite-Sheet-2-5mm-x-200mm-120mm-Twill-Weave-Black/353065393762?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You might only need one sheet of that for the Strada simply cut in half to do both sides. Just remember proper PPE when cutting if you do go the carbon fibre route.

I suggest carbon fibre because it's very light weight and also very strong. You could use aluminium of course but more work involved to cut and heavier.

Do you think that's something you would try or are you going to try another way to get the ESC to fit?
:good:

• Like 2

@GMballistic wow, great reply, but cutting carbon fibre may not be on my pay grade so to speak, limited tools and near zero workshop area, but at this point lets not rule it out, i know what your saying on PPE, lets wait an see what real size the 120 is and not rulling out a different esc/motor set up even if its just 3s, options are open here, also half interested in a 1/8 like a Hoboa GT

• Like 1

I cut and shape carbon fibre with my Dremel so nothing fancy but get what you mean as it is messy so best not done in the kitchen. Lol.  

If you do go 1/8th the Hobao GTB is a great place to start as you can buy it as a roller cheaply and the chassis is longer so can take some big can motor set ups. 1/8th scale is my favourite scale for RC tbh especially for speed running. 

• Like 1

Shoot me for saying this isnt a hobao gt just a hyper 7 with road wheels and shell?
Car looks great mate, got a sealed transmission cover, much bigger center brace, whats she weight in at?

Looks like theres plenty of room to mount the esc on the top chassis brace, like i did, bit of sponge you get with lipo underneath the esc and a cable tie to hold it down firm.
If you make a pan like menntioned above you also get lower cg and more weight over the wheels so technically should get better performance. and can put the esc were the battery would normally live.

Is your esc waterproofed / potted. I noted vs a non potted esc thats much lighter, I can have a bigger motor and higher power esc for 1g less weight lol woo power!