• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

43 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

I've finally got the video I shot the other day to edit together. Turns out it was the overclock on the PC that was causing all the problems. Turned it down from 4.9Ghz to 4.6Ghz and all is well.

There are a few firsts for me with this, first time shooting video with this camera (10 year old Panasonic Lumix TZ10), first time filming with a camera attached to a transmitter, and first time driving a trail crawler on a trail.

I think next time i do this I'll use a modern phone as the resolution and quality will be better.

The video isn't brilliant, but let me know what you think

looking really good m8 🙂

looking really good m8 🙂 

had mine out earlier and forgot to do the end points for steering oops, broke a cva pin and fixed it on the fly with one thats a bit too short then about a minute after i fixed it the one on the other side thought it would be fun to break as well lol

found one the right length this time for the broken one and ill redo the one thats a bit short, yay it has 4wd drive again 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2

check the  mesh theres high and low points on the spur i think i was lucky and meshed on high point my lads got meshed on low point and sounded like yours 

move spur an 1/8 th turn and check mesh do that all way round 

excellent vid tho :cheers:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

check the  mesh theres high and low points on the spur i think i was lucky and meshed on high point my lads got meshed on low point and sounded like yours 

move spur an 1/8 th turn and check mesh do that all way round 

excellent vid tho :cheers:

yeh it sounds like ur mesh is a bit tight, like what mine sounded like on its first run, i really  slackened of the mesh on mine and it sounded a lot better, the good point about these is you only need to undo one easy to access screw to adjust the mesh 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Guys.

Think I've got the mesh a bit better now. I undid the 'one easy access screw' 🙃 and had a little move around.

I actually found it easier to do it 'live' I adjusted the motor setup so that the lower of the motor mount screws was in a high point and tightened it up, with the higher screw in a low point, then plugged everything in with the wheel off the ground and ran the car slowly. moved the motor a bit at a time until it was at its quietest. job done and tightend everything up👍

• Like 2

Took it out today and it was impressive what it could climb, got up some steep stuff today. But it feels too stiff and bouncy so might try some thinner shock oil. 

One point it stopped driving and was making a clicking noise, with no drive to the centre dif. Was gutted thought diff had gone or something but it turned out it wasn't going into low gear properly. 

Just had to adjust the little grub screw on silver slider so it was closer to the spring and it was fine again. 

Did about 40 mins driving my 3s still has 82% left lol

My bat's are quite big 5200/6000/6200 I have the battery move to the back front now seems a bit light so might move battery back to middle or just add some weight to front

Edited by Logie
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, No brains said:

So it took some time but mine is done, the only problems I have with mine is that some parts are made by a drunk chinees, at first the center coupler driveshaft was not straight and had a bad  wobble, then I discovered that the rear stub axle had a very bad wobble in it and was also not straight the whole axle housing wobbles with it, so I ordered a set of new ones that is the only thing I have to replace when they arrive, and now I have to run it in the woods this week.

51058729823_95b9da40a5_k.jpg

51058731703_e384d3de1c_k.jpg

51059448491_e8f8b05464_k.jpg

51059450536_bd74126182_k.jpg

51058731718_89730de1b1_k.jpg

looking good m8 🙂

8 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

looks cracking mate :good:

have you had a chance to run it yet ?

No not really I just finished it on the end of the day, run it a little in mine tiny garden, next week I am going to take it to the woods.

Edited by No brains
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

No guys you want see way he drives the poor thing lol omg :insane:

well take videos then 😛 i even offer you my phone so i do the uploading and still nope lol

i really thrash it about, it is a really tough truck 🙂

@No brains Looking really nice there, get out and drive it. 👍

@Yrkoon how on earth did you bend the steering link. Let me guess...... in Clarkson mode you put a 6s battery in and sent it......... into a rock, tree, any other immovable object (delete as required) 😂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Logie said:

Chains look good, is that to add a bit of weight or just for looks? 😛

just for the look😁

small criticism quality  control is not the best with hobao, had to bought a new rear stub axle because one off them had a bad wobble in it and was not straight, today I received a new set of axles, one of them is straight, but the other one from the new set have also a bad wobble in it and is not straight😒😒

Today first I replaced te wobbly rear axle, and them I went to the woods to give the car his first run, really like the car it climbs good over obstacles and steep climps, the only thing for me it needs some more  power and wheelspeed I am running a 27 turn 550 brushed motor on 2s, the next time I am going to run it I put a 3s battery in it to wake it up a little.

This is my first real crawler I am used to high power brushles cars, even my tamiya cc-01 with a 1740kv tenshock brushless motor on 2s  has a lot more power and wheelspeed,  I know this car is not made for speed but to me it is real slow and lack some power.

After 50 minutes of running I noticed that the car hangs to one side,  when I looked at the car I saw that I lost a spring retainer, lucky I had a tamiya retainer at home that fits.

51066131196_76a7494997_k.jpg

51066223167_05c2cc7fe0_k.jpg

51066222482_6959fb2ba0_k.jpg

51065425578_5505dbea8d_k.jpg

51066221412_7175f185d3_k.jpg

Edited by No brains
  • Like 2

How you find them springs? Find on mine its a bit slow to rise.

Also in low gear, sometimes its struggling to go with clicking type noise. If you put it into high gear its fine, i did adjust the little mechanism when it engages low gear but it still happens now and again, seems to not want to get into low gear properly, anyone else had this?

im using the dual rate springs on mine 

as for the 2 speed clicking it sounds as if its not quite engaging properly  sometimes a forward back on the throttle helps it shift or it needs just a tad more adjustment as its used it gets better tho 

50 minutes ago, Logie said:

How you find them springs? Find on mine its a bit slow to rise.

Also in low gear, sometimes its struggling to go with clicking type noise. If you put it into high gear its fine, i did adjust the little mechanism when it engages low gear but it still happens now and again, seems to not want to get into low gear properly, anyone else had this?

Unfortunately the stock shocks are pretty useless. I tried everything to get the rebound right, until eventually I gave in and removed all rebound damping completely. Now it's a bit on the bouncy side. A shock upgrade will be my next DC1 related purchase.

Bit of 'radio silence' from me at the mo.

The servo horn and lights I'd been waiting for arrived ok.

Servo horn was a bit too long so modded it and printed a revised on axle servo mount to lift it up a bit and that's all fine.

The lights not so good. front led's were loose in the holders so put a sliver of fuel tubing between each and the slotted holder which does the job to firm them up. In fitting the rears, I overtightened the screws and snapped off the posts they screw into so.... new lenses on order😡

@everclear1984

I've had a mess with the stock shocks (not actually run it yet) but completely stripped each one and set them up as follows:

removed both black spacers under the piston and replaced with a single 3mm piece of fuel tubing.

The pistons have been replaced with a 3dprinted one that looks like this picture.

piston.thumb.jpg.e2491086e314471b72bdbd9001a4e1a9.jpg

Basically eliminated one 'flat' from the stock piston and made the remaining a notch that on re-assembly is aligned with the gap in the circlips.

I printed them a fraction thicker (and sanded down), so that the circlips hold it in position so it shouldn't rotate.

When rebuilding, I put a spare silicone o ring on to act as a bump stop.

Just bouncing on the desk, it feels more supple than before this is with the stock oil.

If you want the STL files to try these out yourself let me know

• Like 1

Put the HW 1080 in last night, went to have ago and it was sagging. Noticed after my boy had a go, rolled it down some hills the a shock had bent, bottom cap missing. Just order a set of generic 90mm shocks off ebay to get it going again, not really impressed with the shocks it came with as standard.

Anyone know a nice upgrade shock wise for the DC1?