• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Texan

Lone-wolf

They seem expensive at first glance. £320 RRP for an FTX seems a bit ridiculous...

But, then you start to look at the design and specs... forward weight distribution, torque-twist-reduction gearbox, cantilever rear shocks, rear cage setup, etc.

It starts to look very similar to the highly-regarded Gmade BOM. Same sort of spec and design; only it's cheaper as an RTR than the BOM is for a kit. Plus the FTX has metal centre driveshafts, beadlock wheels, inner fenders and stealth front body mounts. The BOM doesn't have any of those!

So, it's expensive for an FTX, but cheap for a rig of that spec. I think it looks fantastic!

Personally, I'd still buy the BOM, but can't deny that this seems a brilliant buy.

• Like 1

I like inner wheel arches as they will help keep some muck at bay.
I love my FTX highrock (same chassis as this front mounted motor etc.) But are they worth the price? £275 ish like the Highrock steep end but acceptable.

Over £300... No i dont think so... thats going into competition with Axial, Gmade, Element, Hobao etc and those are better quality all round.

Do FTX sell to BangGood or is it the otherway around, I saw the highrock there in the past for 100£ cheaper (slightly less detailed body, ftx added lights)
Texan?
https://www.banggood.com/RGT-EX86181-RTR-1-or-10-2_4G-4WD-RC-Car-Rock-Crawler-Truck-Vehicles-Models-p-1767336.html?rmmds=search&ID=6287842&cur_warehouse=CN

Are you after a crawler or do you just like the look of the body?

I dont really do full on crawler, but trail driving, similar thing, yes i rather like the look of the style, but it also look very functional, lot of well thought out aspects to the rig, no portals but 80mm ground clearance out of the box, battery mid ship with motor and box up front, no body clips.

The dilemma is be one of the first to get it or wait for a few reviews to come out  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Sherpa is £90 more

Yes but that's worth it for 2speed, diff locks, and portals, its much more of a trial truck as it can go slow and decent pace so you get the most out your batteries. Basically a trx4 drivetrain wise for much less.

As an owner of this chassis and a trx4 chassis, unless you just really want to crawl, go 2speed for the trails its more fun imo. The chassi is ok but flexes lots due to thin metal used on the rails. They come with fairly fast motors and terrible ecus for modulation, instantly drop it for a 1080 hobbywing.

I run an 1800kv axe in mine on 3s lipo 5000mha and 10-11t pinion and get 4 hours + runtime.

These are a good starting platform and have compatibility with the other ftx crawlers eg. steel axles (avoid the aftermarket portals).

I started with the highrock and wished i had started with the trx4 or something else because there are better options out there, if I hadnt of got the trx4 chassis kit, I probably would have got the Abisma or Hobao DC1.
I've put almost the same as the truck cost, in mods and motors, tires etc to get the performance up to par, out the box it will blow you away until you get sick of it rolling over, high clearance means higher CG, they need unsprung weight.

I still would pay that little more for a much better rig.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Redback said:

That is exactly the same truck, isn't it? Only, for some reason, the bodies look more toy-grade... somehow?

For around £260 that is a pretty good deal! Although, Modelsport have the Texan for only a little more than that.

I don't know why, but I have a soft spot for the FTX Texan. I really like it.

Still wouldn't buy one, though! 

• Like 1

I have to say i am very tempted, FTX used to be a little budget in price and budget in quality, i do feel this new model has improved in quality, you dont get something for nothing so if quality is up it stands to reason price has to rise, its still a lot of truck for the price tag, i have watched one YT video  of the RGT version and it looks tough and pretty powerful, i am after another trail rig to promote my new social media group and YT channel, and i think this could be the one i get

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bertberr said:

Go for it dude, if you like it that's all that matters, and you'll be able to give us a first hand account of its capabilities on the trail.

I agree, sod what everyone else thinks! Recently got myself a HPI SBK when l guess no one else would have. Great quality kit and, spares are available (to order). But to be honest I can't see anything braking! If YOU  want it,  then get it!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, John Booth said:

I agree, sod what everyone else thinks! Recently got myself a HPI SBK when l guess no one else would have. Great quality kit and, spares are available (to order). But to be honest I can't see anything braking! If YOU  want it,  then get it!

You mention spares...............thats another thing, spares for this rig are stupid cheap, and thats always a good thing for a lower price rig, if you break it, aint gonna cost a bomb to fix it

11 hours ago, John Booth said:

😕 Sod what others think? He asked for peoples thoughts and HPI isnt a Banggood special rebranded to FTX with a price hike.
Glad to hear your enjoying your SBK, They really are the way to go to get what you want and know how everything works, so when something goes wrong when it rarley does you have and idea what your doing :)

11 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

You mention spares...............thats another thing, spares for this rig are stupid cheap, and thats always a good thing for a lower price rig, if you break it, aint gonna cost a bomb to fix it

This is true, same for the upgrades, 2 steel axles for the cost of a single steel axle for the trx4, and with the high rock chassis at least, its took some pretty heavy tumbles down some very steep hills and nothing has ever boken - the bodyshell of course.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 27/11/2020 at 21:51, bertberr said:

Go for it dude, if you like it that's all that matters, and you'll be able to give us a first hand account of its capabilities on the trail.

I managed to collect Nectar points and used them on Ebay and got the Texan for a good amount off  it's a little cracker, love the idea of working turn lights and reversing lights, only problem I'm having is putting Flat bed transfers on due to Arthritis, just don't fancy taking all those screws out 😉

Edited by mamodman
Missed words out
  • Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 20:52, PraetoR said:

They seem expensive at first glance. £320 RRP for an FTX seems a bit ridiculous.

Now only £270, and it's a great truck so far, I laughed when as I turned steering the side lights flash - No not joking

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mamodman said:

Now only £270, and it's a great truck so far, I laughed when as I turned steering the side lights flash - No not joking

Brings it more in line with the FTX highrock thats not a half bad rig once you put some weight down low.
Guess they wernt selling well at 320.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redback said:

Brings it more in line with the FTX highrock thats not a half bad rig once you put some weight down low.

I fell in love with the body, I know everyone knocks it, but on watching a review on YouTube, showing chassis and running I thought I go for it, as I said used some Nectar points and got a good deal, I intend to use it as more of a trail truck, ran it down thee pavement, and gardens, it seems great, chassis is really good, rear suspension looks weird but really does work, got to put flat bed transfers on which look a right fiddling job, and the wheel centres supplied really lift the wheels and look of the Truck, sorry to go on it's the lock down 12 months is murderous    😉

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 18:43, Jack Reacher said:

Thought i would start a thread on this as its due out soon and i am very tempted to order one, what are peoples thoughts on the all new rig, i do feel that FTX have really upped the game on this model

did you ever start the thread? I've just got one - Thanks

• Like 1