• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho Optima Mid Custom Rebuild

Drapes86

I've found these shocks online, which are relatively cheap and I think look the business... question is, are all shocks compatible? I know there are different lengths which need to be considered, but are the attachments to the stay and the suspension arm universal e.g. if the length is correct, they will fit?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-aluminum-shock-absorber-complete-2-amt2-4/rc-car-products/434988

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=435659

image.png

Finally, haf a day where I'm not working, and the weather has been good enough to let her off the lead for the first time!! I was nervous of the old Tx / Rx and it running full pace into the nearest wall, but it held up pretty well! The main concern was my driving skills, not the car 😂

Short video and poor quality because I'm heavily restricted on upload file size.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Drapes86 said:

Finally, haf a day where I'm not working, and the weather has been good enough to let her off the lead for the first time!! I was nervous of the old Tx / Rx and it running full pace into the nearest wall, but it held up pretty well! The main concern was my driving skills, not the car 😂

Short video and poor quality because I'm heavily restricted on upload file size.

Goes really well👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2021 at 21:47, Drapes86 said:

Crikey.. That looks like it's had it's fair share of fun over the years! Looks to be in good nick though, I bet she'll come up sparkling with some hot soapy water.

At the rate I've been working at, you'll have her race ready way before I get mine finished!

Have you got a thread going for the build? I'd like to watch how you're getting on 👌

Sorry chap I missed this one! Yep it was second hand when I bought it from a local racer very early 90s, and it was my only off road rc until this year- I’m a basher so it’s took some stick! Don’t think it’s ran in 20 years. It’s well used pics perhaps doing it too much justice 😉

I’ve just built a grasshopper 2 so I don’t plan any work on it anytime soon- your targets are safe 😂

No thread yet but may do one if I start gathering bits 👍

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 19:11, Drapes86 said:

Fabulous progress chap thanks for sharing 👍 you e helped inspire me to do some more on my projects this afternoon 👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the decals have arrived from MCIRacing Canada. They're not a bad match for the original, and considering the bodyshell and decals are from independent sources - the size/hape is as good as I'd hoped for!

I've decided to keep the stickers to a minimum, opting for the primary block coloured sections instead of adding all the advertisement decals. Feel free to judge me on that decision20210307_180456.jpg.e7c07d39f506ab781837211fa9416e8c.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Drapes86 said:

Finally the decals have arrived from MCIRacing Canada. They're not a bad match for the original, and considering the bodyshell and decals are from independent sources - the size/hape is as good as I'd hoped for!

I've decided to keep the stickers to a minimum, opting for the primary block coloured sections instead of adding all the advertisement decals. Feel free to judge me on that decision20210307_180456.jpg.e7c07d39f506ab781837211fa9416e8c.jpg

Looks great, like it less cluttered so all good.👍

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello, I am having a bit of a clear out and have come across my old optima mid custom special. I am not going to enjoy it any more and would like to see it go to an appreciative home. It was in good working order before it was retired. Contact me for for more info if there's any interest. Thanks Lee