• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho Optima Mid Custom Rebuild

Drapes86

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

isnt there little switches on the bottom or back of tx ?

its about 30 odd years since i had an acoms like that so could be thinking other tx 🍻

Absolutely nothing! Just the fiddlies you can see on the front of the box. I will be getting a new Tx / Rx combo but I've asked the big, jolly fat man to bring me one so that means I'm stuck with this for now 👎

4 hours ago, Drapes86 said:

Thanks chaps! Is this the same even with this dinosaur? I've got the trim levers beneath the sticks, but not sure what you're suggesting can be done with it... or am I missing something? Do I need to get into the transmitter to do it?

20201202_170757.jpg

8 hours ago, Dan_Q said:

nice one :) try reversing the control on the throttle stick- usually whilst travelling forward, pulling back acts as a brake until stopped, then you go down again to activate reverse. I say you conrol is ar5e about face, easiest silution flipping it on the handset :)

This makes sense now and is exactly what the car is doing. If I pull back on the stick whilst moving forwards, it instantly spins up into reverse and goes like a stabbed rat! Then I have to push forward to brake, and then again to go forward and the speed is much more pedestrian...

I've read this on another forum (sacrilege I know) regarding the ACOMS AP-227 Mk3 about "servo reversing". Is this what I need to do?

If not, I guess I could always mount the body on back to front and hold the Tx upside down?? 🙃😂

Screenshot_20201202-212544_Chrome.jpg

EUREKA!!! ...I've figured out the throttle control issue! It came to me all of a sudden from my subconscious and I excitedly shouted the solution to my wife and two kids who quite frankly couldn't give a single **** what the solution was.

Ignoring them I grabbed the car and the transmitter and set about proving my theory... it works!! It now goes like $hit out of a trumpet going forward, brakes when I pull back, and comes back impeccably behaved when I pull back again.

With the old transmitters, there is no button for inverting the throttle control, so I physically turned the control stick round and refitted it. Then I just had to swap the polarity between the battery and motor!

This might seem obvious to the veteran RC owner, but to a complete novice, this has been a great victory! I've tried to calibrate the ESC when turning on, I've fiddled with every switch going on the Transmitter, I've even tried begging the cat, before giving up completely...

It's all part of the learning, and I'm very much loving building this thing! 😍

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

awesome mate glad you got it sorted out :thumbsup:

It was so obvious when I thought of it, I guess the old Tx's are just more simple. When it finally clicked what I was trying to do, the obvious thing to do was just physically turn the control lever the opposite way round 🙃

On 14/12/2020 at 00:43, Dan_Q said:

Looks bloody awesome mate- keep us posted on how you’re getting on.

in the meantime, look what happened 😆

Came back to RC and did a build very recently, and now I’ve got this to sort 😉

3F96566B-BC2E-444D-AFE8-880859212B33.jpeg

I will be keeping you updated dont worry, just very little to report since the last post. I understand a new servo horn installed because the original plastic one was loose on the spline. When it arrived however it was absolutely huge, so I've had to reconfigure the servo and use the original longer throttle servo arm to connect it to the steering mech... what do you think? 20201221_073133.thumb.jpg.15b77bbac8b7f15bd47096c07eaf6c4e.jpg

20201221_073116.jpg

Just now, Drapes86 said:

I will be keeping you updated dont worry, just very little to report since the last post. I understand a new servo horn installed because the original plastic one was loose on the spline. When it arrived however it was absolutely huge, so I've had to reconfigure the servo and use the original longer throttle servo arm to connect it to the steering mech... what do you think? 20201221_073133.thumb.jpg.15b77bbac8b7f15bd47096c07eaf6c4e.jpg

Have, not understand *

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, new year and time to get started again on the car! I've just bought a new bodyshell, paint and decal set as per the original design - they should be arriving in the next week or so.

I've got a few questions before I start which I'm hoping you guys can help with!

1) I've bought reversed decals to mount on the inside of the bodyshell. Have I done the right ting? Can I just simply paint over the top of these with a brush? Is the paint likely to bleed between the shell and the decal sticker??

2) Do I need to buy lexan cutting scissors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, Drapes86 said:

Right then, new year and time to get started again on the car! I've just bought a new bodyshell, paint and decal set as per the original design - they should be arriving in the next week or so.

I've got a few questions before I start which I'm hoping you guys can help with!

1) I've bought reversed decals to mount on the inside of the bodyshell. Have I done the right ting? Can I just simply paint over the top of these with a brush? Is the paint likely to bleed between the shell and the decal sticker??

2) Do I need to buy lexan cutting scissors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

normal short scissors + cutting blade will be ok  but having a proper pair with the curved end come in very handy.

• Like 1

just when you apply the decals to the inside theres no gaps water with a fair ammount washing up liquid can help in placing the decals aloowing them to slide about into correct position then just paint over top of them when dry

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, turok007 said:

normal short scissors + cutting blade will be ok  but having a proper pair with the curved end come in very handy.

I have curved nail scissors which could probably do the trick? I'll have a practice on an off cut first and then decide if I want the proper tools.. I'm certainly not planning to make a bodge job of it during this stage!

55 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

just when you apply the decals to the inside theres no gaps water with a fair ammount washing up liquid can help in placing the decals aloowing them to slide about into correct position then just paint over top of them when dry

Okay thanks, so the decals aren't sticky then? I was imagining them to be stickers with a paper back to peel off?

59 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

ohh they are sticky mate 

we are talking vinyl style decals like you would put on outside if not reversed ?

Yes, exactly. The website I've purchased them from has an option to reverse the decal sticky side so they can be installed on the inside of the lexican shell... I thought that would be a good idea to stop them peeling off over time and have a smooth finish 👍

Just not 100% on how well the paint will go over the top??

Just now, Stormbringer said:

it should do i did it in the past with an HPI SS18 shell came out quite good :thumbsup:

I know it's not quite in the spirit of the original, but I like the idea of a smooth finish.

As soon as the stuff arrives, I'm cracking straight on with it, so I'll be posting the progress, good, bad or ugly! 😂

On 14/12/2020 at 00:43, Dan_Q said:

Looks bloody awesome mate- keep us posted on how you’re getting on.

in the meantime, look what happened 😆

Came back to RC and did a build very recently, and now I’ve got this to sort 😉

3F96566B-BC2E-444D-AFE8-880859212B33.jpeg

Crikey.. That looks like it's had it's fair share of fun over the years! Looks to be in good nick though, I bet she'll come up sparkling with some hot soapy water.

At the rate I've been working at, you'll have her race ready way before I get mine finished!

Have you got a thread going for the build? I'd like to watch how you're getting on 👌

• Thanks 1

New bodyshell arrived in the post today! There is 2 x drive mech covers too, so I can practice cutting that one before taking to the good stuff 👍

Then I just need to completely ruining it with a shoddy paint job, and she is pretty much finished!!! 🍻

20210113_120457.jpg

• Like 2

Paints, masking tape and shell have all arrived so I've had a go at painting the windows... not perfect, but not too shabby either! It's definitely all in the prep, masking off the area properly before painting 👌

After experiencing how fiddly getting the masking tape in the right place is, I'm starting to wonder whether reversed decals was a good idea after all!!?

20210115_210315.jpg

20210115_210351.jpg

20210115_210459.jpg

20210115_210557.jpg

• Like 2