• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho Optima Mid Custom Rebuild

Drapes86

4 minutes ago, Drapes86 said:

To be fair, the new generation of ESC’s are far superior in every way to the old mechanical ones.

was this with the new battery, could just have been too much for the speed controller?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

To be fair, the new generation of ESC’s are far superior in every way to the old mechanical ones.

was this with the new battery, could just have been too much for the speed controller?

Yes it was the new battery connected.. I tried to not be ridiculous with it and bought a 1800mah battery compared to the original 1200mah, but something clearly wasn't right in the circuit!

44 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

you could try fitting the capacitor and try powering it up again being mechanical it may work 

No, it's completely b0lloxed. It's melted the plastic and possibly welded the metal parts inside it... either way it is completely seized in position.

It's a shame because it is 30+ years old, but I guess that's a learning experience. I'll keep it to go with the story of the car, but she's not going anywhere until I buy a new controller 👎

Assuming the 1200mha and the 1800mha are both 7.4v i dont see the battery being a cause unless you upped the voltage, did you open the speed controller up to check it was mechanically sound?
Its a shame to loose the original but an electronic ecu will give you much better runtime and performance in the long term, maybe a silver lining of the cloud.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Redback said:

Assuming the 1200mha and the 1800mha are both 7.4v i dont see the battery being a cause unless you upped the voltage, did you open the speed controller up to check it was mechanically sound?
Its a shame to loose the original but an electronic ecu will give you much better runtime and performance in the long term, maybe a silver lining of the cloud.

I didn't install the capacitor which bridges the poles of the motor, so I think that will be the cause. My only concern is that the speed controller is the original for the car, and it is 30+ years old - I intended to up upgrade to ESC anyway and I have one in the post already 👍

I didn't inspect it before installing no, that would have been far too sensible! 😅

I did bench test it beforehand though, and I didn't install the capacitor then either, so I thought everything was going well. Sadly not for the mech controller who was being burned alive in all the excitement!

On 26/11/2020 at 06:52, Drapes86 said:

I didn't install the capacitor which bridges the poles of the motor, so I think that will be the cause. My only concern is that the speed controller is the original for the car, and it is 30+ years old - I intended to up upgrade to ESC anyway and I have one in the post already 👍

I didn't inspect it before installing no, that would have been far too sensible! 😅

I did bench test it beforehand though, and I didn't install the capacitor then either, so I thought everything was going well. Sadly not for the mech controller who was being burned alive in all the excitement!

After doing some research, the capacitor is installed across the motor terminals to prevent interference between the motor and the transmitter signal to the car...

...so it doesn't explain why the mech servo burnout.

It does mean that it wasn't my own incompetence that caused it though, so that's something at least! 😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Drapes86 said:

It might not look like much progress, but I've got the drive and belt covers on. I pretty much had to dossassemble the entire car to get the lower cover on, so there's significantly more work than it first appears.

Still waiting for the new ESC to arrive. Excited is a bit of an understatement! Can't wait to see it go 😍

20201127_211136.jpg

20201127_211150.jpg

20201127_211206.jpg

Don’t know what it is about those wheels, but they just look really good👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

Don’t know what it is about those wheels, but they just look really good👍

Thanks mate! Considering they are so plain, they do look the business don't they.

I do like the pepperpot style wheels of the Turbo though 👌

37 minutes ago, turok007 said:

Sorry if i missed it  but do you have the 2nd motor plate  it is a alloy strange shape one that fits behind the main one.  i think it was to help with pinion placement.

Yeah, its they're alright... it is an absolute pig to install because the screws have to be fitted blind into the motor housing!

The screws tightened into something and the motor feels pretty solid, so I assume they located into the right holes 😂

It's fitted onto slotted holes, so I guess you yould put a bigger or smaller pinion on...?

20201128_191307.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Drapes86 said:

Yes i remember it being a right pain changing motors while at the track  as the screws had to be short.   i was trying to get mine to go a bit quicker as the smallest spur i had was not small enough so i had to use a pinion of 30+ teeth.

• Like 1

Finally an update worth reporting on - New ESC and motor brushes have arrived and installed... she's a runner! 🤩

By no means perfect. There is some interference, possibly with the sheer number of high frequency brain microwaving things going on in my house. Maybe outside will work better? 🤔

The steering servo arm comes loose at the slightest knock, so I'm a little nervous about stretching it's legs fully at the risk of obliterating her into the nearest curb!

I have to push the throttle stick forward twice to get it to go forward... any ideas?

Oh, and it's a lot faster in reverse than it is going forwards?? Is this a setting on the ESC?

20201202_083407.jpg

20201202_083426.jpg

20201202_083440.jpg

• Like 2

Glad that you got it all working mate :thumbsup:

On your transmitter you should have a couple of sliding buttons, left for normal & right for reverse. One is for the throttle and one for the steering, try switching them the opposite way and see if that fixes the problem for you

• Like 1

nice one :) try reversing the control on the throttle stick- usually whilst travelling forward, pulling back acts as a brake until stopped, then you go down again to activate reverse. I say you conrol is ar5e about face, easiest silution flipping it on the handset :)

• Like 1

Just now, James RC said:

Glad that you got it all working mate :thumbsup:

On your transmitter you should have a couple of sliding buttons, left for normal & right for reverse. One is for the throttle and one for the steering, try switching them the opposite way and see if that fixes the problem for you

beat me to it, nice one :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan_Q said:

beat me to it, nice one :)

Thanks chaps! Is this the same even with this dinosaur? I've got the trim levers beneath the sticks, but not sure what you're suggesting can be done with it... or am I missing something? Do I need to get into the transmitter to do it?

20201202_170757.jpg