• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help baja rubbish low end power

Jonathon

Hi all I am new to the site and new to rc cars. I have recently bought a new rovan 30.5cc baja I have done the run in and drove the truck a few times and it runs fine just no low down power 

What I mean is it won't spin the wheels it won't do a donut.

My mates one would run rings around it 

I have tried playing with the carb loads 

Re set it back to factory settings no different please help and thanks all

13 minutes ago, Jonathon said:

Hi all I am new to the site and new to rc cars. I have recently bought a new rovan 30.5cc baja I have done the run in and drove the truck a few times and it runs fine just no low down power 

What I mean is it won't spin the wheels it won't do a donut.

My mates one would run rings around it 

I have tried playing with the carb loads 

Re set it back to factory settings no different please help and thanks all

Could need a new spark plug?  Running rich whilst running in can foul the plug up no end. Also noticed there doesn't seem to be much smoke coming out of the exhaust, maybe a bit on the lean side?

• Like 1

i'd be looking at other things than the engine tune going off the vid,

it sounds like it has a very low clutch engagement, but being new i think it should have an 8.5k spring on the clutch,

maybe a bad spring to start with, 

have you changed the gearing at all? sounds way over geared ,

or could be something as simple as the brakes are dragging heavily and stopping revs from rising, or a severe bind somewhere in the drivetrain,

it just sounds very flat, just like over gearing or bad clutch spring or binding somewhere to me,

could be carb related or overoiled air filter as well though,

1 hour ago, Mack1 said:

Could need a new spark plug?  Running rich whilst running in can foul the plug up no end. Also noticed there doesn't seem to be much smoke coming out of the exhaust, maybe a bit on the lean side?

I have put a new plug in it and I have tried loads of messing with the high jet and low and keep putting them back to factory settings but just can't get it to let rip lol

27 minutes ago, spents said:

i'd be looking at other things than the engine tune going off the vid,

it sounds like it has a very low clutch engagement, but being new i think it should have an 8.5k spring on the clutch,

maybe a bad spring to start with, 

have you changed the gearing at all? sounds way over geared ,

or could be something as simple as the brakes are dragging heavily and stopping revs from rising, or a severe bind somewhere in the drivetrain,

it just sounds very flat, just like over gearing or bad clutch spring or binding somewhere to me,

could be carb related or overoiled air filter as well though,

Thats exatly how it Feels like it's geared to high and the clutch engaged to soon it all rools freely and brakes all roll free and stop good it feels flat could be the carb I checked for air leaks with wd40 on idle no change just feels like it won't get in the band

like I said it's new should I send it back 

4 hours ago, Jonathon said:

Thats exatly how it Feels like it's geared to high and the clutch engaged to soon it all rools freely and brakes all roll free and stop good it feels flat could be the carb I checked for air leaks with wd40 on idle no change just feels like it won't get in the band

like I said it's new should I send it back 

seems a very odd issue mate,

couple of things to try, with the engine off, radio on and check that throttle is opening fully, take air filter off and you will see the brass butterfly in the carb,  work throttle with engine off and check butterfly opens fully,

then again with engine off, apply full throttle and see if the brake activates when full throttle applied, might be a dodgy throttle/brake linkage, so engine off, radio on and full throtte and try and roll the car forwards to see if the brakes dragging,

you could also try and see what happens out at the field by setting off and only going to say one third throttle, dont just go wide open from the grt go, if it picks up better then could be a carb/tuning issue, or as above sticky brake under full throttle etc, 

i still say the clutch engagement seems very low though, it doesnt say on rcmodelz website which springs fitted to the 30.5 engine, but i'd assume a minimum6k and more likeley 8k,

doesnt sound to revving very high at all in the vid,

i take it you got it from rcmodelz? if so then contact them either by phone or email, dont know when they are opening at moment during lockdown, 

but contact em and see if they can help, try and get hold of mark (hoss) sanders if you can, he will have a few ideas,

send em a link to the video as well so they can see for there selves whats happening,

don't get shirty with em or owt like that, sometimes rc cars aint quite right , most are fine but the odd bad one slips through the net,

being nice and logical gets ya much further than demanding an answer there and then, (i'm not saying you would get shirty with em mate, but some people do lol),

stick with it and see how they handle it, they are usually a good bunch at rcmodelz, always have been with me anyways,

edit; link for rcmodelz support email,  [email protected]

Edited by spents
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, spents said:

seems a very odd issue mate,

couple of things to try, with the engine off, radio on and check that throttle is opening fully, take air filter off and you will see the brass butterfly in the carb,  work throttle with engine off and check butterfly opens fully,

then again with engine off, apply full throttle and see if the brake activates when full throttle applied, might be a dodgy throttle/brake linkage, so engine off, radio on and full throtte and try and roll the car forwards to see if the brakes dragging,

you could also try and see what happens out at the field by setting off and only going to say one third throttle, dont just go wide open from the grt go, if it picks up better then could be a carb/tuning issue, or as above sticky brake under full throttle etc, 

i still say the clutch engagement seems very low though, it doesnt say on rcmodelz website which springs fitted to the 30.5 engine, but i'd assume a minimum6k and more likeley 8k,

doesnt sound to revving very high at all in the vid,

i take it you got it from rcmodelz? if so then contact them either by phone or email, dont know when they are opening at moment during lockdown, 

but contact em and see if they can help, try and get hold of mark (hoss) sanders if you can, he will have a few ideas,

send em a link to the video as well so they can see for there selves whats happening,

don't get shirty with em or owt like that, sometimes rc cars aint quite right , most are fine but the odd bad one slips through the net,

being nice and logical gets ya much further than demanding an answer there and then, (i'm not saying you would get shirty with em mate, but some people do lol),

stick with it and see how they handle it, they are usually a good bunch at rcmodelz, always have been with me anyways,

edit; link for rcmodelz support email,  [email protected]

Ok thanks all for the help  I tried all of the above and all seems good Took filter off and butterfly opens all the way on full throttle and no brakes binding at all with or without throttle (engine off and rolling it) my mix was 200ml for 5l of fuel (MX5 synthetic motocross oil)

If I try and pull off with 1/4 throttle it hardly moves 

I have put the carb back to factory settings and tired the car with the air filter off and no difference 

I will ring rcmodelz when thay open if I can't get to the bottom of it

It feels like when I give full throttle on the remote the car only has half throttle but it all looks good hope this makes sense

1 hour ago, Bajadre said:

sounds like either fuel mix or carb settings wrong like mack said not much smoke in this cold etc whats your fuel mix  jon? also did you set it back to factory 1 and a quarter low end one and a half turns high end? the idle sounds a bit flat to me.

I am using Mx5 motocross oil at 200ml for 5l fuel I have set the carb back to factory and tried it with no air filter still the same thanks again 

• Like 1