• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

WPL C24 Intro, Mods and Upgrades

ograymic

I have one of these built as a roller.  Bought it as a kit as soon as I got the C14 RTR.  Spent all my time on the C14 so far, but the C24 is due some attention.  I really like that they made the front grill different and that you can remove the sleeper and it has a proper bed.

Looks like they have a better gearbox / motor combo with the kit now now and black chassis rails!

Loving the towbar.  plans for a trailer?

13 hours ago, ghazghul said:

I have one of these built as a roller.  Bought it as a kit as soon as I got the C14 RTR.  Spent all my time on the C14 so far, but the C24 is due some attention.  I really like that they made the front grill different and that you can remove the sleeper and it has a proper bed.

Looks like they have a better gearbox / motor combo with the kit now now and black chassis rails!

Loving the towbar.  plans for a trailer?

Yes i am planning on making a trailer though still not sure what to go for, Somthing like a double axle fold out caping trailer sounds quiet apealing to me atm. Designing  and making that will have to wait untill i get the new tyres though. 

I have printed a couple of extra parts i found on Thingyverse to add to the looks. Not designed by me  but i didnt save the pages for them so cant thank/credit the authers unfortunatly.  The top shows a potential placment for a winch motor. 

IMG_20201028_205419.thumb.jpg.1e412c006fea5606b7331f50713f346d.jpg

IMG_20201028_192224.thumb.jpg.ca67c331da5236ec767fdf672c409628.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

It was great reading your post.

IMHO, WPL cars are great value for the money ( even after the recent price increases...😩).

I have assembled a B36KM 6x6, and while building and driving  it I learned a lot of useful skills for my more recent rc cars (my post about the B36:  WPL-B36KM).

For the next upgrade for your car I would recommend the 2-speed transmission with the 370 motor.  Low gear enables you to have a low crawling speed which adds a lot of realism to the car, as well as a lot of control for climbing over obstacles. It also adds weight that helps on said realism and climbing.

Enjoy your upgrades and let us know the news about them.

• 6 months later...

I just bought the kit version of the WPL C24-1, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread.  🙂

I bought it with the excuse that I needed a 1/16 crawler to accompany my son's WPL B36 (a chunky 6-wheeled army thing), and I do so hate mixing scales.  I'm also slightly addicted to buying RC cars and then hardly ever driving them.  🙄

So, it's built, but I'd rather not dismantle it for photos, as all the screws are self-tapping into plastic, and I don't want to weaken the threads.

IMG_20220613_105023.thumb.jpg.b188dc2b77cd58edf2d841fe8a2f636b.jpg

The differences between this and the standard C24 above are the wheels and softer tyres (from a C44), and the grille and bumper (from a C14).  There's no canopy for the back, but the bed has been painted black on the inside.

IMG_20220613_105136.thumb.jpg.31bb19aed137c0e3cf110b4a5d1e3c4a.jpg

It has a flip-up box behind the cab that reveals the space for the battery.  That's the cheapo ESC you can see inside it, and there's enough space left for a 1000mah LiPo.  The ESC was from a robot I built a few years ago, but it seems to be a popular choice for these cars.  I'm not sure if something better would leave enough space for the battery - I think it'd be too chunky.

IMG_20220613_105206.thumb.jpg.c9c285ea9abf60e2ef50a1722419b1a2.jpg

Having pinched the ESC from a different project, it was missing almost all it's wires, so I had to solder them back on.  I maaaay have made the RX wire a bit too long, so there's some spaghetti underneath.  There's not much in the way of metal in this kit, but that was handy, as there were some places where I had to chop off some plastic.  The supplied servo wouldn't fit without cutting off a rod of plastic, for example, and there were some pointless bits of plastic limiting the steering.

IMG_20220613_105226.thumb.jpg.2b433701a2bedbdf1e4666950e43dd39.jpg

I'm really not sure about the steering setup.  It's at the whim of the suspension, with it turning if the suspension compresses.  I had to modify the suspension, as the springs kept on being pushed over the rods, instead of pushing on them.  I chopped the springs in half (may have been overkill), and put a hammer bead between the spring and the rod to make sure they couldn't bind together. As a result, it sits lower.  Maybe a bit too low at the back, but I still have two unchopped springs and lots of hammer beads to make adjustments with.  🙂

IMG_20220613_105101.thumb.jpg.cdf8e412343888f5c7a736831dc8ed38.jpg

The interior is really detailed, but may have been designed with amputees in mind, as there's no room for silly things like legs.

So.. plans..  I have some! 😀

I've got a metal upgrade kit on it's way from WPL, and a rear canopy.  I'm not sure if I'll use the canopy or not, but it's nice to have the option.  It would easily hide a bigger ESC and battery, which would be nice.

I also ordered some MN90 tyres, as apparently they're very good for doing a wide-wheel mod, and a metal geared servo. 

I'm not sure you can tell from the photos, but one of the wheels was damaged, and is barely holding the tyre on.  The good thing about these C24s is that they're very popular, and lots of people have created their own mods, so there are a few 3D printable wheel options to choose from. 

Before all that, I'm going to paint it! No idea what colour..  just not white.  I might take more photos while it's apart. 

Edited by voorsk
  • Like 1