• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best ESC for 5200KV motor speed run tinkering

RC Marty

Hi I'm looking to set up a WLTOYS 144001 as a speed run machine. Not looking to go too lary was thinking of using a 5200kv motor,but which amp ESC should I go for? I want to run it off of a 3S battery, should I go 60A ESC or an 80A ESC. I want to minimise chances of me frying anything and also to keep temps down. Any advice?

Hi I'm looking to set up a WLTOYS 144001 as a speed run machine. Not looking to go too lary was thinking of using a 5200kv motor,but which amp ESC should I go for? I want to run it off of a 3S battery, should I go 60A ESC or an 80A ESC. I want to minimise chances of me frying anything and also to keep temps down. Any advice?
Have you got the motor?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Thanks Alex. Would a 120amp esc run a 2s though? As I wouldn't always be running the 3s battery (but it's a concession I'm willing to make for the sake of a speed run orientated car. 

Edited by RC Marty

• 1 year later...

hello, i have a cheap 5200kv motor from banggood and i my goal is to use it on my wltoys 144001 as i want to build a 60 mph car for the least amount of money, what esc should i go for ? (i have a dumbo rc receiver and radio, a jx servo but idk the exact model and here's the link for the motor i went for:https://www.banggood.com/fr/GTSKYTENRC-3650-36005200KV-Brushless-Waterproof-Motor-for-18-110-RC-Car-Truck-Parts-p-1526326.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=511869&rmmds=search)(i bought a 120A esc for 20 buck but it survived 10 minutes on 2s)

What esc smoked was it a surpass or something? Cant go wrong with hobbywing for reliabilty and being really hard to kill.
1st choice hobbywing ezrun max 10 sct 120amp - 760amp burst. 2 - 4s might be too big for the small car but stonking amounts of power.

2nd choice hobbywing ezrun max 10 -  60 amp - 450 amp burst. 2 - 3s