• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone in the Portsmouth area?

James.S

As the title says, does anyone here on the forum live in or around the Portsmouth area? 

It would be cool to have a few other people to mess around on my local jumps with!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James. I am in Romsey, near Southampton. Wouldn't mind driving to Portsmouth or maybe meeting in the middle somewhere. I am fairly new to the hobby and haven't found any good bashing spots yet. Our local skate park is always extremely busy. 

Edited by SkydiverRC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SkydiverRC said:

Hi James. I am in Romsey, near Southampton. Wouldn't mind driving to Portsmouth or maybe meeting in the middle somewhere. I am fairly new to the hobby and haven't found any good bashing spots yet. Our local skate park is always extremely busy. 

Hey man. Ah nice one, I know Romsey a little bit as i've worked over that way a few times in recent years. I'm not new to RC's myself but instead returning to the hobby after a far too lengthy break! Picked up a WL toys buggy which is a bit of fun & soon gonna get my old nitro Losi LST monster truck up & running again (hopefully!).  Also gonna treat myself to a 1/10th brushless truggy at the end of this month so that will most likely become #1 basher :rc_car:

Yeah mate i'm definitely up for meeting somewhere, I know a few really good spots around my area. But depends if you're willing to come all the way to Portsmouth? Either way  i'm up for it so we can try and get something organised soon. I've sent you a PM 👍

• 1 month later...

Hi James.

Both myself and my best friend are into RC cars. We are always looking for a good place to run them, ideally on a track. We have been into racing 1:28th scale on-road cars until now but are looking at buggies now.

Where do you use go to run the cars?

Edited by Monski
Mistake in typing

2 hours ago, Monski said:

Hi James.

Both myself and my best friend are into RC cars. We are always looking for a good place to run them, ideally on a track. We have been into racing 1:28th scale on-road cars until now but are looking at buggies now.

Where do you use go to run the cars?

Hello mate, good to hear from you.

Which models have you looked at so far? There's plenty of choice for 1/10th & 1/8th scale buggies and plenty of useful information about the popular models here on this forum. I usually go to spots that are quite local to me, I live in the Waterlooville area, 'bout 10 miles north of Portsmouth city. So I have a couple of local parks/skateparks & one dirt jump spot that I go to run my cars, all of which are in the Horndean/cowplain area. There's also a pump track next to Hilsea lido which is a bit of fun. 

If you're interested in meeting up some time for some RC bashing then send me a PM 👍

3 hours ago, Monski said:

We've been looking into smaller scale buggies like 1:14th but are finding that the places to run them are a lot more limited.

Ah right, well as it happens I actually have a 1/14th scale buggy myself. It's a WL Toys 144001.

You might've come across them already when browsing different models but if not, this what they look (this is my one):

2093264193_msukcoverphotowl144001.thumb.png.107e10fe9eb4b32dc57114f1708c9396.png

And here's a link to buy one on Banggood if you're interested: https://www.banggood.com/Wltoys-144001-1-or-14-2_4G-4WD-High-Speed-Racing-RC-Car-Vehicle-Models-60km-or-h-Two-Battery-p-1588753.html?rmmds=search&ID=6157207&cur_warehouse=USA

At 70 quid they are, in my opinion, very good value for money. You get a nice looking RC with an aluminum chassis & a 550 motor (large for a 1/14th scale model). Out of box they're good for 30mph.

But they can break relatively easily if you're not careful, so I wouldn't recommend them too much for dirt jumping. But great for tarmac, gravel, hard dirt & short grass.

3 hours ago, Monski said:

Hi James. Where's the one dirt jump spot you mentioned?

Well i'm not sure if you'll know where i'm talking about, but there's a nice little spot in a wooded section in Cowplain. It's nicknamed the 'humps & bumps'  Nothing big there at all but instead just a nice array of small jumps, mounds & drop offs. Which is a good thing really because it gives my RC's a much better chance at not getting broken.😜

Wow, looks great!

We've looked at the WL Toys 1/14th. It looks like a cheaper version of the LC EMB-1 so might be good to start with perhaps.

We're willing to drive over to meet up with you sometime. Let me know by message when you might be free, after the lockdown is finished of course as at least we'll be able to meet outside again.

Does the 1/14th work ok over rough terrain? We have a couple of 1/24th Carisma buggies which are fun with a 2S lipo but we're finding that even the BMX tracks in Portsmouth are too bumpy for them.

I must admit, if it wasn't for the cost, a Team Associated RC10 or the like would be the best choice as I know 1/10th will handle pretty much any terrain.

Any chance of a google maps pic or map reference of where the 'humps and bumps' is in Cowplain as it might be good to meet there. I wonder if James from Romsey would be into coming along too?

It's nice to meet someone in our general area that is into RC.

Thanks for all your help. :)

21 hours ago, Monski said:

Wow, looks great!

We've looked at the WL Toys 1/14th. It looks like a cheaper version of the LC EMB-1 so might be good to start with perhaps.

We're willing to drive over to meet up with you sometime. Let me know by message when you might be free, after the lockdown is finished of course as at least we'll be able to meet outside again.

Any chance of a google maps pic or map reference of where the 'humps and bumps' is in Cowplain as it might be good to meet there. I wonder if James from Romsey would be into coming along too?

It's nice to meet someone in our general area that is into RC.

I think they are a great choice as your first 'bigger' RC (though they're quite small, but not compared to your 1/24th models). They're pretty fast & quite capable for their size. Certainly a good starting point due to their ease of use. Spend some time getting used to driving a 1/14th scale buggy and you will be much more prepared for when you inevitably move up to a 10th/8th scale model 😉

I'll be free towards the end of next week, and throughout the weekend if you fancy driving over. I've taken a screenshot from Google Maps for you & circled the spot i'm talking about:

967966548_cowplainhumpsandbumps.thumb.png.5f2613578a4b6e587cd881dbc276be2f.png

Does the 1/14th work ok over rough terrain? We have a couple of 1/24th Carisma buggies which are fun with a 2S lipo but we're finding that even the BMX tracks in Portsmouth are too bumpy for them.

I must admit, if it wasn't for the cost, a Team Associated RC10 or the like would be the best choice as I know 1/10th will handle pretty much any terrain.

It's not really designed to handle rough terrain, but it can handle some. It will be much better suited to those BMX tracks than your 24th scale models but again I wouldn't recommend using it as a stunt car as parts can break fairly easily. Now a 10th scale truggy/monster truck is going to be much better for that purpose, but the TA RC10 that you mentioned is more of a racing model so won't hold up too well to bashing. I have an FTX Carnage which is also a 1/10th scale brushless truggy, but it sits a lot higher, has longer suspension travel and much bigger wheels & soft tyres, so is suited more for bashing. And it's seriously quick too when running a 3s lipo!

There's a plenty of choice when it comes to buying one but I would say start off with a WL Toys or something similar. See how you get on with it, and then decide if you want to get something bigger to take on bigger obstacles. Also you don't need to spend tons of money. £150 - £250 will get you a decent 1/10th scale model.

Thanks for all your help. :)

You're welcome mate :thumbsup:

Edited by James RC

• 6 months later...

Hi.  I've only just noticed this thread.   Grew up in Waterlooville and now live in Havant.  It looks like you have posted up the location of the "humps n bumps" up at Padnell grange.  I'd be up for some bashing when I'm not racing/diy-ing/motorcycling/working.

I see you have an LST2 James, nice touch. 

• Like 1

@Crazy L Hello mate. That's awesome that you know the 'humps & bumps' and call it that too. I think my dad even used to go there when he was a nipper. Unfortunately it's not what it used to be but there's still a few small jumps there and it's still a good area for bashing RC's.

I grew up in Waterlooville too, specifically Denmead, then moved to Horndean, now currently living in Finchdean. I would definitely be up for meeting up at some point during this summer, and i'll bring the LST along too as recently got it running again ☺️ 

I'll send you a PM tomorrow and we'll see if we can organise something 👍

On 10/06/2021 at 22:42, James.S said:

@Crazy L Hello mate. That's awesome that you know the 'humps & bumps' and call it that too. I think my dad even used to go there when he was a nipper. Unfortunately it's not what it used to be but there's still a few small jumps there and it's still a good area for bashing RC's.

I grew up in Waterlooville too, specifically Denmead, then moved to Horndean, now currently living in Finchdean.  👍

I first went there when I was a nipper, with either my Kyosho Big Brute or my Manta Ray.  No, it isn't, it's very tame now.  I think where all the undergrowth has been pulled out/worn away, the dirt just slid into the dips and the tops got worn away.  I ride my motorbike through Finchdean on occasion. 

On 12/06/2021 at 15:10, Crazy L said:

I first went there when I was a nipper, with either my Kyosho Big Brute or my Manta Ray.  No, it isn't, it's very tame now.  I think where all the undergrowth has been pulled out/worn away, the dirt just slid into the dips and the tops got worn away.  I ride my motorbike through Finchdean on occasion. 

Ah that's awesome mate. And yeah it's a shame really. It was due to new owners moving in to the big house opposite, and that bit of land apparently belongs to the house too so they destroyed most of it, over 10 years ago now. A few attempts at rebuilding the jumps have been made but to no avail, though it's still a fun bash spot.

Ah you're into your bikes too, nice one. What do you ride?

On 15/06/2021 at 16:26, James.S said:

Ah that's awesome mate. And yeah it's a shame really. It was due to new owners moving in to the big house opposite, and that bit of land apparently belongs to the house too so they destroyed most of it, over 10 years ago now. A few attempts at rebuilding the jumps have been made but to no avail, though it's still a fun bash spot.

Ah you're into your bikes too, nice one. What do you ride?

Padnell Grange.  I didn't know they owned the land.  Because there is a public footpath at the end, I though it was public right of way.  Well, learn a little everyday eh!    I ride a Yamaha Thunderace,  Triumph Tiger 800xc, and a Yamaha WR250f

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi James

I’m in Waterloovillie don’t have buggies as still working on my tamiya Scania it’s been a long project life keeps getting in the way. Been trying to locate a local club that is into the rc trucks but can’t seem to find.

On 02/03/2023 at 08:34, Overkill said:

Hi James

I’m in Waterloovillie don’t have buggies as still working on my tamiya Scania it’s been a long project life keeps getting in the way. Been trying to locate a local club that is into the rc trucks but can’t seem to find.

Im not to far from you up near hindhead, I’m considering selling my scania truck as it seems most of the truck clubs are way up in the midlands so I don’t run it very much, I’d be interested if you find anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a shame you are thinking of selling your Scania what years to get mine just don’t fully understand how much goes into getting it how you want it. Only found a few in Somerset and Bath and northeast London once mine is complete I’m planning on going to intermodellbau Germany but it’s been along project so close to finishing but time seems to be in short supply.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2023 at 08:34, Overkill said:

Hi James

Hi mate, how's it going?

Yeah I don't really know of any local clubs either. I used to go to Bolwextric in Clanfield but not sure if that's still going. & also the offroad track nearby.

• 5 months later...